Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Always liked Forbes and based on that Edinburgh game, he still has it. Remember he scored a couple of cracking free kicks against us a few year ago. Guess this means we are a little closer to seeing the departure of Tapping.

I'm not sure where this "Callum Tapping is leaving" chat has come from, other than one post last week on this thread from a someone who spoke about Davie Irons' being "spiteful and vindictive" for not selecting Thomas Halleran, which turned out to be nothing more than a disagreement about playing time (?)

I just can't see it happening. It would be daft to sell one of the few people in the squad with good SPFL experience. On top of that, it would cost a suitor a fee to sign him, and we've just brought his brother into the club.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Tapping (J) looked the part in the couple of loan games he played for us and I’d have taken him permanently if offered. Ross Forbes performance in the playoff final first leg was up there with the best I’ve seen at Ainslie Park - alongside Gary Harkins for QofS so it’s not always a guarantee of future success. If the other Tapping is coming our way that would be lovely, there’s a Marc Laird and Andy Black shaped hole in our midfield and he’d fill most of it. Would be surprised if we paid a fee but life is full of them and all that.

3 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Tapping (J) looked the part in the couple of loan games he played for us and I’d have taken him permanently if offered. Ross Forbes performance in the playoff final first leg was up there with the best I’ve seen at Ainslie Park - alongside Gary Harkins for QofS so it’s not always a guarantee of future success. If the other Tapping is coming our way that would be lovely, there’s a Marc Laird and Andy Black shaped hole in our midfield and he’d fill most of it. Would be surprised if we paid a fee but life is full of them and all that.

This is good news about Jordan Tapping.

I agree with you about Ross Forbes' performance in the first leg of the play-off final - it was superb and probably one of the best individual displays I've seen this season. Dumbarton fans have been a bit more lukewarm in their praise of him but I think if we're able to get willing runners alongside him in the middle of the park, I'm hopeful he'll be an asset.

I’m certainly not going to bad mouth Ross Forbes as he’s been a good servant for us over the years but I wouldn’t judge him on the Edinburgh City game. It’s not exaggerating things to say that was by far his best perfomance of the season, by quite some distance. 

I hope dropping down level helps him get his mojo back and I’ll be hoping he does well for Stenny. 

Hi guys. Just thought I'd drop my Ross Forbes post from the Sons thread in here. I hope he does well at Ochilview and you see more the Edinburgh City (A) Ross Forbes in the coming season.

How do I feel about Ross Forbes leaving? 

There's no denying that, statistically, he was vital for us last season. 13 assists in 28 games is certainly not a record to be sniffed at, and he was probably the main reason why we defeated Edinburgh City in the playoff final.

But was he actually any good?

Everyone knows I'm his biggest fan. I think he's a tremendous player; and almost totally unique in the lower leagues. But last season he looked a shadow of the Ross Forbes we had in 2018/19 who bagged plenty of goals and assists from midfield.

His shooting was woeful for the most part, he found himself caught in possession an awful lot and, in open play, he actually contributed very little. There were a few exceptions. He was sensational against Edinburgh City away, the best player on the park by a distance against Huntly and - missed penalty aside - excellent against East Fife.

He had that ability to turn a game on its head with a moment of quality from a dead ball, and that (as we found with Joe McKee this time last year) is difficult to replace.

He was always a bit of a luxury player. But that was exacerbated this season. In a lot of ways he's a quarterback now. If there were rolling subs in football you'd simply sub him on for dead balls, and then sub him back off again until the next one.

I hope he goes to Stenhousemuir and gets back to being the player he was first and second time around for us. He's a nice guy, a quality player and, if he had a decent turn of pace and engine, then he would've picked up a Scotland cap in his career. I honestly believe that.

Much like Duffy though, the time felt right for him to leave the Rock.

The weekly newsletter says we're likely to bring in another player today or tomorrow but, for the meantime, here's our current squad:

GOALKEEPERS
Ryan Marshall (signed from BSC Glasgow)
Graeme Smith

DEFENDERS
BJ Coll (signed from Forfar Athletic)
Adam Corbett
Josh Grigor (on loan at Syngenta)
Ross Lyon (signed from BSC Glasgow)
Jamie Mills (signed from BSC Glasgow)
Jordan Tapping (signed from East Stirlingshire)

MIDFIELDERS
Michael Anderson (signed from BSC Glasgow)
Adam Brown (signed from Alloa Athletic)
Ross Forbes (signed from Dumbarton)
Declan Hughes (signed from BSC Glasgow)
Callum Tapping

FORWARDS
Cammy Graham
David Hopkirk
Thomas Orr (signed from Stranraer)
Robert Thomson (signed from Alloa Athletic)

15 hours ago, Neilly said:

I'm really excited about Forbes. He ran the show against Edinburgh last week when I watched that game and I'm not sure he should really be playing at this level but delighted to have him on board.

Get the midfield around him to do the dirty work and let him do his thing he should be a great watch for the fans. As good a lefty there's been in the lower leagues over the years.

That performance was very much the outlier for Forbes. Don't get me wrong, Duffyball helps no player, but there were signs that Forbes is tailing off a wee bit last season. The problem with Forbes is he's not great playing centrally, the game passes him by and he doesn't create enough, so he needs to play as right midfielder when he has no pace. His delivery is still excellent and will get you goals, but there's no doubt he's a bit of a luxury. Seems Stenny are building well though, they may well be able to carry that luxury. 

From Inside Ochilview - " Inside Ochilview can however confirm at this stage that all season ticket holders will be offered a full refund for last year’s tickets! Everyone at the club appreciates your support, therefore we hope that this gesture makes that clear."

That is some gesture from the club, really no need to do that and I do not think many other teams will do the same. Will probably donate my money back to the club and hopefully others will do the same which would probably give the club an extra £10k plus which would pay for a player or so.

Our club are always better than the rest with gestures like that.

I can't see one fan taking a refund like but a noble gesture all the same.

If however we are subjected to streaming next season, for whatever reason, then I would like the club to pay me handsomely to endure it. I couldn't go through that again.

That's two people I have seen advising they will give the ST money back the club.

I am 99% sure we won't be refunded the money so it will be something you need to apply to get.

I would hope nobody will take up the kind offer n go through process to get the refund.

Nat Wedderburn: not for me.

A decent passer of the ball over short distances but slow to the point of immobile. Signing Wedderburn and Ross Forbes, two players not really known for their ability to get around the pitch, goes against what Stephen Swift said in his first interview for Warriors TV when he revealed he wants his team to play high intensity, with a high press.

Nevertheless, I hope Wedderburn can do a turn for us.

Meanwhile, Ryan McGeever has signed a two-year deal with Dumbarton, so I apologise for posting utter toot on this thread. I don't know what came over me.

3 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Nat Wedderburn: not for me.

A decent passer of the ball over short distances but slow to the point of immobile. Signing Wedderburn and Ross Forbes, two players not really known for their ability to get around the pitch, goes against what Stephen Swift said in his first interview for Warriors TV when he revealed he wants his team to play high intensity, with a high press.

Nevertheless, I hope Wedderburn can do a turn for us.

Meanwhile, Ryan McGeever has signed a two-year deal with Dumbarton, so I apologise for posting utter toot on this thread. I don't know what came over me.

Wedderburn was really good when he played for Cowden seems like a lifetime ago. He was never fast but didn’t have to be.

Big Wedderburn uses the ball very well, but his complete lack of athleticism makes him a bit of a passenger if you've not got plenty of runners around him. I wouldn't be overly-enthused about the idea of he and Ross Forbes sharing the pitch on a regular basis, particularly against the more front-footed sides in the division.