Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Guest Midnight Express
1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

Hi all. Will be spending plenty more time at Ochilview for the foreseeable future since Malky Mackay is being appointed County manager.

I have been so incredibly impressed by Stenny's pandemic community efforts (I live in Kinnaird) and I want to associate myself with a club with those values instead. See you all at Ochilview when fans are back. 

You will be made to feel more than welcome at the best community club in Scotland mate, hopefully you will be enjoying some great football in what's shaping up to be a very competitive league this year

Poor appointment from County 👎

17 minutes ago, Midnight Express said:

You will be made to feel more than welcome at the best community club in Scotland mate, hopefully you will be enjoying some great football in what's shaping up to be a very competitive league this year

Poor appointment from County 👎

I've been to a few games when county have been off or when I couldn't be arsed traipsing up the A9, always fair enjoyed it. 

On 16/05/2021 at 14:41, beaver1 said:

I quite liked Brown when he was with Airdrie. He always used to get dogs abuse from their fans which says more about them than it does him. Worried that he has barely featured for Alloa the season just passed. Same applies to Thomson. When did he last score a goal?

On 16/05/2021 at 14:56, Francesc Fabregas said:

According to Soccerbase, Robert Thomson's last goal for the Wasps was the equaliser in a 1-1 draw with Greenock Morton on 2 January, while the last time he started a match was against Heart of Midlothian on 16 January. I watched a few Alloa Athletic games when our league was shut down and Peter Grant preferred to use Innes Cameron as the lone striker in their system, with Thomson coming off the bench here and there.

Adam Brown, meanwhile, made just seven league appearances last term. I can't say I know too much about him.

While they could well be decent signings at this level, I found the tone of this week's newsletter quite sarcastic (especially when the daft exclamation marks were chucked in). Our "former Rangers academy player" is Ross Lyon, who has received indifferent reports from Clyde supporters, while our "Championship striker and midfielder" is Robert Thomson and Adam Brown respectively, two players who rarely featured for a side who finished in last place. It's not a great way to build anticipation and goodwill towards the new season.

I'm probably overthinking things and should be looking forward to the new direction under Stephen Swift but I'm finding it hard to get excited at the moment.

Adam Brown got a hard time from Airdrie fans. Some of it merited because he's an incredibly frustrating player for a man of his ostensible talent and skill level. Other times not so merited as he'd get it tight for not 'running aboot' or not getting stuck into folk. Will drift in and out of games and from week-to-week but he's definitely a talented player and potential match-winner. Will score a few worldies a season. 

Posted my thoughts on big Sean Crighton below. Definitely think he'll be a good bit of business for Stenhousemuir. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

He's very much a meat and potatoes, kick and head the ball the way's facing centre-half. He's good at that though and he could still a job for most League 1 teams let alone in League 2. He did struggle at times this season, especially against teams who press high or have a bit of pace upfront and his distribution is awful. But he's still a decent no thrills centre-half for this level and I'd have definitely been happy to have kept him on. He's also a brilliant captain, ambassador for the club and presence in the changing room. He's helped out with coaching the team this season as well and I believe he coaches for Accies' academy so he could prove useful in that capacity also. 

Wherever he goes I wish him all the best. Partner him with someone decent and he could be a very shrewd addition for Stenny.  

16 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Adam Brown got a hard time from Airdrie fans. Some of it merited because he's an incredibly frustrating player for a man of his ostensible talent and skill level. Other times not so merited as he'd get it tight for not 'running aboot' or not getting stuck into folk. Will drift in and out of games and from week-to-week but he's definitely a talented player and potential match-winner. Will score a few worldies a season. 

Posted my thoughts on big Sean Crighton below. Definitely think he'll be a good bit of business for Stenhousemuir. 

Thanks for this - sounds encouraging. Is Brown a wide player?

This strategic partnership with hibs - does anybody know anything about the nuts and bolts?

is there a minimum or maximum number we take on loan each season?

expectation we go to them first if need arises (we did have at least one from other club last season)?

expectations about playing time? (that young winger/wide midfielder didn't play much at all but others got 4 games a week !)

I'm thinking if its a very loose arrangement then its not really worth the name. What substance is there to it? anybody know?

This strategic partnership with hibs - does anybody know anything about the nuts and bolts?
expectation we go to them first if need arises (we did have at least one from other club last season)?
expectations about playing time? (that young winger/wide midfielder didn't play much at all but others got 4 games a week !)
I'm thinking if its a very loose arrangement then its not really worth the name. What substance is there to it? anybody know?
Someone else will be able to answer more robustly but as far as I was made aware we have no obligation to play them.

52 minutes ago, true fan said:

I think I can answer a couple of questions here:

Normally you're only allowed two players on loan from the same club but this was extended to four during the pandemic. I'm not sure if it will revert back going into 2021/22.

I'm not 100 per cent sure about this. I would imagine so given we went straight to Hibernian for a goalkeeper when Graeme Smith got injured, and again after the restart when we needed Jack Brydon to boost our numbers. Thomas Collins and Alan Docherty were also in on loan, taking us up to the maximum of six.

expectations about playing time?
This is agreed between the clubs beforehand. At the beginning of the season, Callum Yeats came in as our first-choice left-back with the expectation he'd feature in most games, while Jayden Fairley, who arrived at the same time, was only ever going to be a squad player and would appear here and there. Even so, Stenhousemuir are under no obligation to pick these players - for instance, if Yeats was in a poor run of form, we could have dropped him without being reprimanded by his parent club.

I don't think we can criticise the strategic partnership. It was probably the only positive to have come from last season and everyone that came in from Hibernian made a good impression on the pitch.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas
*I was bodied in the following comment

I'm really excited about Forbes. He ran the show against Edinburgh last week when I watched that game and I'm not sure he should really be playing at this level but delighted to have him on board.

Get the midfield around him to do the dirty work and let him do his thing he should be a great watch for the fans. As good a lefty there's been in the lower leagues over the years.