Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

So, does Mr Goals still have "it"? 

I hope so! As long as you play to his strengths, you have a striker who will chip in with double figures in League 1, I'm sure of it. Mark McGuigan is at his most effective when hanging on the shoulder of the last defender and having the ball is slipped through to him. He's surprisingly quick off the mark for a man of his size and he scored most of his goals for the Warriors, particularly in the 2017/18 season, in this way. He's also handy inside the penalty box and is good at peeling off his marker at the right time to get a shot away. He's also a reasonably effective target man, but only when the ball's played into his feet. He's good at backing into opponents, holding it up, and popping it off to a supporting player.

He's not fantastic in the air and is often bettered by opponents when going for aerial duels. We didn't get the best out of him by launching neck-high punts at him every week. His finishing can also be a little wayward and he tends to go for power rather than precision, leading to fluffed chances.

I'm not usually that fussed about players moving on from the club but I sincerely hope he is a tremendous success at East Fife.

9 minutes ago, grant1903 said:

Are yous trying to keep Thomas Collins 

It wouldn't surprise me given his connection to Stephen Swift but, as mentioned earlier, I didn't see much from him during his brief loan spell to suggest he's worth pursuing.

Last season, I poked fun at Mr Raymond McKinnon signing players for Queen's Park he'd worked with at Greenock Morton and Falkirk, but this is just ridiculous!

24 minutes ago, Anniversary year said:

You guys are throwing money around like confetti, a sure sign for disaster and bankruptcy. 

I’m not sure they are throwing money around, I would be more concerned by the arrival of so many players from the manager’s previous club, I’m not sure you can always replicate the same environment at a new club.

4 hours ago, Big Dougie said:

I’m not sure they are throwing money around, I would be more concerned by the arrival of so many players from the manager’s previous club, I’m not sure you can always replicate the same environment at a new club.

I am sure that we will be staying in budget but the only possible concern that I have is that above. I am sure Swift knows their potential but if they were suitable for League 2 then surely clubs would have picked them up before this.  Time will tell. It may well be that they are a breath of fresh air and be a success rather than the old tried and tested failures we have seen before that go from club to club.

7 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've signed our sixth player of the window - Stephen Swift has used his extensive contacts to bring in Jamie Mills, a left-back from BSC Glasgow.

That's a bit out of left field, wonder what the connection is? 👀

The bottom of league 2 has been bottle-necked for many a year, the top 4-5 Lowland League sides could compete towards the top of League 2 no problem at all.

If anyone thinks we are too good to ship loads of BSC players in then they are kidding themselves. Sure these boys are more than good enough. I mean the policy for the previous 7 or 8 years has hardly yielded much in the way of success has it? 

24 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've signed our sixth player of the window - Stephen Swift has used his extensive contacts to bring in Jamie Mills, a left-back from BSC Glasgow.

Terrible defender, very pacy, but cannot defend.

Edited by Big Dougie

3 minutes ago, Christophe said:

The bottom of league 2 has been bottle-necked for many a year, the top 4-5 Lowland League sides could compete towards the top of League 2 no problem at all.

If anyone thinks we are too good to ship loads of BSC players in then they are kidding themselves. Sure these boys are more than good enough. I mean the policy for the previous 7 or 8 years has hardly yielded much in the way of success has it? 

I don't think it is that we are too good to ship loads of BSC players in - it has been mentioned above if these players were the cream of the team then why has no other L2 sides came in for them sooner.  There is knowing a players capability so hopefully Swift has that or we could be in deep trouble before Xmas. Hopefully they will be a be good enough and prove everyone wrong.  I think that there is an expectancy at this time of the year that we will sign players we have seen and feel they are good enough rather than a number of players few of us will have seen nor have knowledge about.

3 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

I don't think it is that we are too good to ship loads of BSC players in - it has been mentioned above if these players were the cream of the team then why has no other L2 sides came in for them sooner.  There is knowing a players capability so hopefully Swift has that or we could be in deep trouble before Xmas. Hopefully they will be a be good enough and prove everyone wrong.  I think that there is an expectancy at this time of the year that we will sign players we have seen and feel they are good enough rather than a number of players few of us will have seen nor have knowledge about.

This past few years we have brought in several players that were lower league "names" or consensus was were good enough, and they have badly underperformed. I'm more than ready to try something different. 

7 minutes ago, Christophe said:

That's certainly one way of looking at it. Stephen Swift is bringing in players he can trust and who are attuned to his management and his demands, and he probably got his BSC Glasgow side punching above their weight. I certainly hope they all hit the ground running are a huge success at Stenhousemuir.

The scepticism comes from the fact that not many people will have heard of these players - I'd like to think I've got a solid knowledge of the Scottish lower leagues and I've had to look up every player we've brought in from BSC Glasgow - while scout reports from other supporters has been indifferent at best. Were they in demand from other SPFL sides? I'm not sure. Chuck in the fact that our record of signing players from the Lowland League has been poor over the last few years (PJ Sludden, Ryan Miller, Jack Smith, Kieron Gibbons, Adam Corbett) and I think people are right to be cautious.

Who knows, maybe we've got a few blue-chip superstars lined up to sign on with us and Hibernian have a handful of world-class youngsters they're prepared to loan us!