Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

2 hours ago, true fan said:

Squad assessed and nobody wanted or premeditated decision to wield a machete?

bold or foolhardy? Mmmh. Time will tell

Start from scratch yet again. This will be an interesting season. Swift had better be in a decent position by Xmas or I fear the worst.  Any club at the bottom will be panicking  at that time.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Not fantastic, truth be told. People were really quick to tell us: "Wow, Greig Spence is a great signing for League 2!" after he joined from Arbroath in January 2020, but they obviously hadn't realised he'd gone two years without scoring in the league. He played okay-ish in some matches and chipped in with the odd goal but he certainly wasn't the talismanic penalty-box striker some of us had hoped for.

This season, with Davie Irons determined to play a 4-3-3 formation no matter what, Spence was used as a wide forward (?) and a number 10 (?), roles that really didn't suit him, and he was eventually packed off on loan to East Fife. I don't think he made much of an impression there.

He might do well back at Cowdenbeath and he could form a good partnership with Liam Buchanan, but I'd treat his signing with caution if I were you.

Spence will be at east fife 

15 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Start from scratch yet again. This will be an interesting season. Swift had better be in a decent position by Xmas or I fear the worst.  Any club at the bottom will be panicking  at that time.

Starting XI next season will be very close to league winning but definitely play offs 

12 minutes ago, Life on Mars said:

Starting XI next season will be very close to league winning but definitely play offs 

Hiya Swifty, hiya pal.

I reckon our squad will consist of a handful of experienced SPFL campaigners, youngsters left over from last season and a lot of unknowns recruited from the Lowland League and below. I've absolutely no idea what to expect from them but I'd be surprised and delighted with a top-four finish.

What does this “invited for preseason” thing really mean?

I’m thinking players want a club to sign them and the preseason offer is a booby prize. Do any turn up for training? Have any been signed and played the following season?

I have convinced myself the championship striker is one of Kris Doolan or Robert Thomson.

Invited for pre season means, come and train, play some friendlies and you might earn a contract if any use.

Yeah, I mean what does it really say about a club’s view of a player? “We don’t think you are good enough to sign”, surely.

I’m guessing most self respecting players would look for a club willing to sign them.

Turning up for training a bit embarrassing? Risk of training then not being signed and not much time left to find another club?

I have convinced myself the championship striker is one of Kris Doolan or Robert Thomson.

Invited for pre season means, come and train, play some friendlies and you might earn a contract if any use.

Didn’t swift say he wants a target man up front? Thomson?

Yeah, I mean what does it really say about a club’s view of a player? “We don’t think you are good enough to sign”, surely.
I’m guessing most self respecting players would look for a club willing to sign them.
Turning up for training a bit embarrassing? Risk of training then not being signed and not much time left to find another club?

Brechin did the same with local lad and a supporter of the club Euan Spark. He played for us for two seasons and was only offered pre-season.

He went on to sign for Elgin where he is now their Club captain and a solid performer every week. The kind of guy we are crying out for.

Well swift hasn't been there long. Has clearly seen something in the brief time but not quite enough to put a deal on the table.

Don't see the issue tbh. If the players not happy then they can reject. Simple.

6 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

Well swift hasn't been there long. Has clearly seen something in the brief time but not quite enough to put a deal on the table.

Don't see the issue tbh. If the players not happy then they can reject. Simple.

That being said, I don't think Paul Brown, Cammy Graham or Callum Erskine featured under Stephen Swift, but they were all offered contracts. Jack Hodge played a couple of times for the new manager (and one of those appearances was at right-back) but has only been invited back for pre-season.

As I said earlier, I thought Hodge would have been one of the first players offered a new deal but perhaps Swift has seen something he's not quite sure about and needs more time to make up his mind. I'm surprised about this but then I'm also surprised Adam McCracken has been asked back. I only saw him a couple of times and didn't really rate him.

Mr Goals

Decent wee article in the Record from Mark. Looks like he was offered a deal for next season but they couldn't come to an agreement on it. I assume it would have been reduced terms.

Comes across as absolute gent. Even when he was out the picture and struggling for a game he never seemed to be a bother for the manager and just worked harder to get back in. He's going to be an asset to whatever club he joins that's for sure, on and off the park.

That being said, I don't think Paul Brown, Cammy Graham or Callum Erskine featured under Stephen Swift, but they were all offered contracts. Jack Hodge played a couple of times for the new manager (and one of those appearances was at right-back) but has only been invited back for pre-season.
As I said earlier, I thought Hodge would have been one of the first players offered a new deal but perhaps Swift has seen something he's not quite sure about and needs more time to make up his mind. I'm surprised about this but then I'm also surprised Adam McCracken has been asked back. I only saw him a couple of times and didn't really rate him.
That could be down to various things. Positions etc.

I agree with hodge, would have liked to have seen him get another year and he still might.

Guest Midnight Express
23 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Plus the fact they'll be on absolute buttons.

And all of the midfield slots will be up for grabs next season so hopefully he impresses pre-season