Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

20 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Not a bad post.

My retort would be though who are we to decide what is worse and what could affect mental health.

For all we know a player may have been subject to abuse as a child and the abusive parent called him a "w*nker" constantly through the abuse. An extreme example but entirely possible.

I understand in this circumstance we know about the player in questions MH as he has been public about it.

You can't. It's quite simple. It's such a complex, wide ranging issue that there's no way of altering behaviour that can completely nullify the risk of affecting someone. I'm sure David Cox would admit giving stick out and he understands the issue more than anyone. 

For me, there's something comparable with football and theatre/drama. There's an element of getting into character for ninety minutes and that goes for some folk in the stands as well. 

Everyone will have played with/against the nicest, most placid person imaginable off the pitch and they just get the "must win" tunnel vision on the pitch and develop a bark and snarl. That's not the real them that'd give you their last penny off the pitch. Same with people in the stand. Jovial, lovely folk who lose the heid at a defender for stealing yards. 

It's escapism for many, on and off the pitch. It's when you bring someone's real life problems into that environment that it becomes an issue for me. 

Edited by an86

Guest Midnight Express
3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Did anyone watch last night's match?

Yes I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed a good performance from Stenny 👍 totally dominated the game and solid at the back, should have won by more than 1 goal mainly down to slack finishing and good goalkeeping/defending from Brechin. Same 4-4-2 system as the last game but think there may have been a slight tweak in midfield, more of a diamond shape last game with rotation between Hopkirk, Collins and Halleran but seemed more rigid last night. 

Good to see Paddy Martin having a quiet night of it with only a couple of saves to make for a change, both full backs a lot better last night and I thought Hopkirk wasnt as effective  alongside Mcguigan as he was last game when he played wide right and rotated with the other midfielders. 

Blair and Halleran in particular played well both games, Halleran shaded MoM for me. 

Typical end of season fare but last 2 games offering some encouragement for the new season under Stephen Swift and his team 👍

This has, without a doubt, been the worst season I’ve had following Stenhousemuir. The absence of supporters has been badly felt and it feels as though the matches are being played out in some surreal, disconnected vacuum; even our modest crowds can make scoreless draws and end-of-season dead rubbers feel like essential affairs. I recently watched highlights of the first leg of our play-off final against Peterhead in 2018, where Mick Dunlop scored two booming headers to win the tie, and it really struck me how important fans are. I’m not embarrassed to say I felt a little emotional watching the big man sprinting past the stand, his arms spread wide as the supporters celebrated. It really is not the same without them sharing the ecstasy and frustration together. The year might have just about been palatable had the team finished in the top four but the lack of tangible success, coupled with the empty grounds, has made the whole thing a whimpering dud.

Before we try to unpick this dreadful campaign, it’s probably worthwhile addressing the positives; I don’t think it’ll take long. Everyone associated with the club, the players, the staff and directors, deserves credit for actually completing the season. At one point, we played six games in 12 days, a ludicrous workload, and it’s remarkable that most of the squad came through it unscathed - what tremendous fortitude and resilience from Stenhousemuir and the other 19 sides in League 1 and 2, well done to all.

The strategic partnership with Hibernian also worked well for us, with Paddy Martin, Callum Yeats and Jack Brydon all first-team regulars - Martin didn't miss a single minute of action and was probably our Player of the Year, Yeats looks as though he could go on to develop into a quality full-back and Brydon played well enough to belie his young age - and I hope they’re able to rejoin us next term (although Hibernian will probably want them starring at a better level than ours). I have high hopes for this arrangement going forward and imagine other clubs across the SPFL will follow suit.

I also think Stenhousemuir deserve a degree of praise for their broadcast offering (and I appreciate I might be a little biased here!) There were one or two sticky moments earlier in the season but since the camera has been moved into the main stand, the quality of the output, both in terms of sound and vision, has improved tenfold, and will continue to do so going into the new season when new innovations are added.

Other than that… Well. We finished 12 points behind Stranraer in fourth place, scored an average of 1.14 goals per game, won two away matches all season (and one of those was yesterday against Brechin City) and saw our vice-captain become a national hate figure after allegedly abusing David Cox over his mental health challenges.

I suppose the best place to start is with the manager. I always liked Davie Irons and felt he did very well during his 18-month spell at the club between December 2010 and July 2012. He took a side that seemed certainties for relegation, kept them in the Second Division and turned them into promotion candidates. His signings in the summer of 2011 were very good - Ross McMillan, Martyn Corrigan, Andy Rodgers, Brown Ferguson, Stewart Kean - and his team were capable of playing eye-catching football. When he returned to the club to replace Colin McMenamin in September 2019, I was hopeful he would effectively repeat what he did the previous season by clearing out the deadwood, bringing in his own players and igniting a challenge for the top four.

Despite a promising start to his return to Ochilview, with a win over Cove Rangers and a brilliant Challenge Cup victory over Waterford, it all turned sour quite quickly with the defeat at Penicuik Athletic, by far and away the worst result I’ve ever seen, and a dreadful sequence where we took four points from 11 games that saw the team sucked towards Brechin and Albion Rovers at the bottom of the table. Irons turned the team over as the season progressed and brought in so-called blue-chip signings like Gary Harkins, Greig Spence, Botti Biabi and Ryan Blair but none of them really made the impact a lot of people expected. Stenhousemuir were in eighth place when the season was abandoned and there was probably a sense of relief all round.

How much did the pandemic affected Irons’ ability to build a squad for the season ahead? I'm not sure. I thought his blend of 12 or 13 experienced campaigners with callow youngsters picked up from full-time clubs was an interesting one - on paper, I thought we had the best starting XI in the division outside of Queen’s Park, but I was worried about the overall depth of the squad. Other than attack, where we had a plethora of options, we were light at the back and in the middle of the park. A lot of stock was being placed in Callum Tapping (generally injury prone throughout his career) and Ryan Blair (a tremendous player but only shows it every five or six games).

There were times over the first part of the season where we were good (the 2-0 win over Edinburgh City, the best performance of the year) and times where we were bad (the defeat home defeat to Annan Athletic, the first-half showing in the 2-2 draw with Stranraer); there were times when Irons’ 4-3-3 system made sense and times when other sides passed right through it. I don’t think he knew what his best XI was - who should be the third man in midfield with Tapping and Blair? Who should play in attack? - or how to achieve a degree of consistency or how to get the most out of his preferred formation. Take Spence, for instance - he’ll go down as a really poor piece of business but why was he deployed as a winger or as a number 10 and not a penalty-box striker, the role he had built his career on?

I was unsure if our business in the January transfer window would really improve things. We swapped Spence for Thomas Collins with East Fife, a player whose impact on the team has been negligible; sold Andy Munro to Forfar Athletic and brought in Adam Corbett from Spartans, decent on the ball but so soft-centred for a defender; Jack Brydon, our fourth loan from Hibernian, a handy centre-back; and Alan Docherty, an intriguing forward from Camelon who may or may not be with us next season.

The second half of the season had moments of promise but ultimately fell to pieces in the space of four minutes at Stair Park where we conceded three goals and went on to lose 4-0, a truly embarrassing performance and the absolute low point of the season. From that point on, when our ambitions of a top-half finished were finally dashed, I think the players chucked in and turned in some desperate showings against Annan, Cowdenbeath and Albion Rovers, going through the motions and looking unmotivated and uninterested. The new three-at-the-back system didn’t really suit the players and trying to predict how the team would line up before every match became a fun game. Everyone seemed confused by the manager’s tactics, with substitutes going onto the pitch unsure what was being asked of them.

Irons cut a mildly pathetic figure at points too over after the restart - with the commentary team moved from the portakabins behind the dugouts to the main stand, we had a better view of the home bench and there was something desperate and performative about the way he would remonstrate with the officials over the most inconsequential calls. At the 3-1 defeat to Queen’s Park, a game where he was serving a touchline ban, he tried to pass an iPad to Graeme Smith to the show the linesman Simon Murray’s opening goal had been offside.

I think Irons will carry most of the blame for the season. He was supported by the board, given a decent budget to build a squad challenge for the top four, but failed to do so. I think some of the senior players, many of whom were expected to carry the team this season, haven’t performed to the best of their ability too, with Tapping, Blair, Biabi and David Hopkirk (and maybe Mark McGuigan too?) never really playing consistently well, but there were no real alternatives in the squad to replace them with because the manager didn’t sign any.

So what next? Stephen Swift is an interesting appointment and I am cautiously excited by him. He's had some time to bed in and assess the team and it’ll be interesting to see who he retains and who moves on. We’ve already got a handful of players signed up for next season - Smith, Corbett, Tapping and Hopkirk - and there are some I believe are worth keeping, like Jack Hodge, Paul Brown and Cammy Graham, cheap options who should be better players after their first year in the SPFL. I wonder what the manager will do with Blair, Biabi and McGuigan - have they done enough to justify their (probably large) wages this term? Has Tam Muir impressed Swift? I think Chris Kane will be away after his dire performance against Albion Rovers, and I think it would be best for all parties if Jonathan Tiffoney didn’t return, regardless of how the investigation into last week's incident with Cox goes.

Regardless of where we go from here, I would like to file this season away somewhere deep, dark and inaccessible and never speak about it again. Good riddance!

I never read a word of that but that's the kind of graft we need under the Swift Era. To produce all that over a season of nothing shows absolute commitment to the cause.

Well done Craig.

12 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I also think Stenhousemuir deserve a degree of praise for their broadcast offering (and I appreciate I might be a little biased here!) There were one or two sticky moments earlier in the season but since the camera has been moved into the main stand, the quality of the output, both in terms of sound and vision, has improved tenfold, and will continue to do so going into the new season when new innovations are added.

I think Irons will carry most of the blame for the season.

At least you were fortunate enough to be in the ground to watch it.  Watching the broadcast was a truly horrendous experience and did improve when it was moved but much too late.  Concerned when you mention new innovations - seriously hope we are back in the ground by then.

Iron should carry the blame - it was his team, his selection and his tactics which failed us.  The fact that our top goal scorer  was unfancied and could not even get in the team says a lot.   Thomas Halleran was another  that was left out in the cold. and as you say from the start there was concern about the make up of the squad, an abundance of forwards but light in defence and midfield.

How long is the inquiry into Cox/Tiffoney going to take. Hopefully they will get the finger out and come to some kind of finding quickly.

Roll on next season.

38 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

At least you were fortunate enough to be in the ground to watch it.  Watching the broadcast was a truly horrendous experience and did improve when it was moved but much too late.  Concerned when you mention new innovations - seriously hope we are back in the ground by then.

Iron should carry the blame - it was his team, his selection and his tactics which failed us.  The fact that our top goal scorer  was unfancied and could not even get in the team says a lot.   Thomas Halleran was another  that was left out in the cold. and as you say from the start there was concern about the make up of the squad, an abundance of forwards but light in defence and midfield.

How long is the inquiry into Cox/Tiffoney going to take. Hopefully they will get the finger out and come to some kind of finding quickly.

Roll on next season.

Of course, I should have mentioned that in my original post - myself and the other volunteers never forgot how lucky we were to attend the matches in person (despite the muck served up on the pitch!) I too hope we're all allowed back into Ochilview for the new season but, in the event we can't for whatever reason, I wouldn't be concerned about the new innovations. They will definitely add to and improve the matchday experience.

I don't think it'll be long before we find out who's leaving the club and who's going to be staying on for next season - probably some point next week I imagine - and I've been having a look through the squad and trying to figure out who I'd like to keep and who I'd like to see moved on. It's been tougher than I've thought, with most players falling into the "maybe" category, and I wonder whether they might perform better under Stephen Swift or if it's in everyone's best interest if they're somewhere else next term.

There are a couple of players signed up for next season - according to the club website, Graeme SmithAdam CorbettCallum Tapping and David Hopkirk all signed two-year deals (or 18 months, in Corbett's case, when he joined in January), so we can discount them from this list, although I'm expecting better from them next time around.

We should also discount Hibernian loanees Paddy MartinCallum Yeats, Jack Brydon and Jayden Fairley. I'd love to see Martin, Yeats and Brydon back at Ochilview next season but I reckon their parent club will have other ideas for them. Thomas Collins is on loan from East Fife and will return to Bayview shortly, with 12 months remaining on his contract (should the League 1 team choose to terminate his deal early, I've got a bad feeling he'll pitch up here permanently).

That leaves the rest of the squad...

KEEP

There are only a handful of players I can definitively say I'd like to stay on. Jack Hodge had a promising first season in "big-boys'" football. He is a positive player, he chipped in with a couple of goals and filled in a number of positions over the course of the campaign and I can only imagine he's all the better for the experience. Paul Brown and Cammy Graham played less frequently but looked bright whenever I saw them and could be worth sticking with. While I don't expect us to build the team around them, I think they'll be useful back-ups (and probably cheap too).

Davie Irons put a lot of stock in Tam Muir - he spoke glowingly about him when he joined from Annan Athletic, saying he was his number 1 transfer target, and although he only scored twice this season, his overall contribution to the team through his workrate and willingness to press from the front always impressed me (his man-of-the-match showing against Edinburgh City in November immediately springs to mind). I think he's the kind of player Swift would want in his side. I also hope the new manager does his best to retain Alan Docherty. I believe the club had an agreement in place to sign him on a permanent basis from Camelon but whether or not that comes to pass now, I don't know. I thought both he and Muir looked very good up top in their few games alongside one another.

MAYBE

Mark McGuigan will go down as one of my all-time favourite Stenhousemuir players but I wonder if he was scunnered after working with Davie Irons for the past 18 months and might fancy a change of scenery. When you saw how nicely Muir and Docherty clicked, it showed up how pedestrian we sometimes looked with McGuigan up front. Nevertheless, he was our top scorer with seven (!) goals and I'd be happy if he stayed on.

Is Thomas Halleran another player who might benefit from leaving Ochilview? For a long time now we've all waited for him to blossom into a superstar midfielder but it's never quite happened for him for a number of reasons. I'd still like to see him at the club next year, right enough. Weirdly, I can imagine him going to a team like Stirling Albion and doing very well for them.

What about Ryan Blair and Botti Biabi? Both are obviously very talented players - you don't move to an English Premier League academy unless you have something about you - but I'm not sure we can afford to invest so much in them when they routinely fail to dominate games and perform so inconsistently. I think Blair is one of the best long-range passers I've ever seen at the club and his use of the ball is sometimes sensational, but how often have we seen him pushed around and steamrollered by faster and more physical opponents? Is he worth building the midfield around or should we cut our losses? For every good dribble Biabi makes, there are 20 more that end up snuffed out or kettled into cul-de-sacs; for every good cross, there are dozens shanked out of play. I know wingers are marked by their inconsistency, but I think we should expect better. That said, I think the pair of them will move on, even if they are offered terms.

Creag Little might be worth retaining but only if we bring in a dominant centre-back alongside him. I thought he worked well when he was paired with Andy Munro over the first half of the season, an aggressive, vocal defender, but he struggled alongside the softer, more taciturn Corbett and he didn't look comfortable when we moved to a back three after the restart. Sticking with central defence, keeping Josh Grigor and Christopher McQueen on as squad players is something we should consider. Both looked fine, Grigor especially, on the rare occasions they were fielded.

Callum Erskine is probably worth keeping ahold of too. The only time I imagine him ever playing is if our first-choice goalkeeper gets injured or sent off and he has to deputise for 15 minutes at the end of a game. An emergency loan will be brought in immediately afterwards and Erskine will be back on the bench.

GO

Davie Irons made a number of rum signings over the past 18 months and Greig Spence was especially poor. Chumps and pencilnecks on social media told us he'd be a "brilliant signing for League 2!" when he joined from Arbroath last January, despite having gone for almost two years without scoring a league goal, and sure enough, the chumps and the pencilnecks were wrong. Spence never really looked comfortable at Ochilview and he struggled to make a real impact, although that might have been down down to his manager playing as a wide forward or a number 10 instead of as an orthodox striker. Regardless, he's an expensive mistake who'll return from East Fife and move on elsewhere shortly.

Chris Kane joined the club from Edinburgh City injured, didn't play until March, and turned in a such a shambling performance against Albion Rovers last week that saw him hooked after 85 minutes for his own good. He just did not know how to deal with Kyle Docherty. Kane didn't impress me at centre-back or as a screening midfielder and I think we can easily upgrade him in both positions.

Ryan Watters has been with Stenhousemuir for three years and while he's probably a nice boy, easy to get along with and low maintenance, we can surely do better. Same with Adam McCracken, whose most memorable moment at the club was his concussion in the abandoned match with Stirling Albion.

And finally, Jonathan Tiffoney can fuck off. A club like ours cannot afford to have a toxic player like him on their books.

DON'T KNOW

Martin Shiels played 18 minutes for the club all season but somehow set up Mark McGuigan's winning goal against Brechin City on Tuesday. Fair play to him.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Agree mostly with above. It will be easier for you to make comment having seen them in the flesh that for others who have had to watch the broadcast. The broadcast fails to show positions and runs that players are making and often does not show a players  other  abilities.

McGuigan and Halleron were certainly not fancied by Irons and I do not know if Swift has seen enough of them to make up his mind. I would be for keeping them.  Blair and Biabi will, I imagine, be on a good wage and this could possibly be better spent. At times you expect so much more from them and yet they fail to deliver. 

Somebody needs to keep a close eye on Jack Bryden's future and should Hibs decide to release him at some point then we should move quickly.  I would also like to see Ross Dunlop back at Ochilview but think that is unlikely.

Quite liked what Swift had to say in his interview but we will wait and see who he signs and how we play. Hopefully he will have ran through the seasons videos and will have a better idea of who is staying and who is going.

2 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

Agree mostly with above. It will be easier for you to make comment having seen them in the flesh that for others who have had to watch the broadcast. The broadcast fails to show positions and runs that players are making and often does not show a players  other  abilities.

McGuigan and Halleron were certainly not fancied by Irons and I do not know if Swift has seen enough of them to make up his mind. I would be for keeping them.  Blair and Biabi will, I imagine, be on a good wage and this could possibly be better spent. At times you expect so much more from them and yet they fail to deliver. 

Somebody needs to keep a close eye on Jack Bryden's future and should Hibs decide to release him at some point then we should move quickly.  I would also like to see Ross Dunlop back at Ochilview but think that is unlikely.

Quite liked what Swift had to say in his interview but we will wait and see who he signs and how we play. Hopefully he will have ran through the seasons videos and will have a better idea of who is staying and who is going.

I'm pretty sure Ross Dunlop has another year at East Fife but I agree with you, I thought he was a very good player and would greatly improve the team. Same with Jack Brydon, if there's a chance to re-sign him, we should take it.

Stephen Swift's interview was fine. There was nothing too revelatory in it and if you were to guess how he would have answered the questions, you'd probably have been 90 per cent right. I'm intrigued by his transfer targets and I hope he's able to bring in good, experienced players from the SPFL alongside a handful of hot prospects from the Lowland League. While there are undoubtedly some good players in tier five (like Thomas Orr and Ruari Paton, who both really impressed me whenever I watched Stranraer this season, or Blair Lyons who was a superb acquisition for Montrose two years ago), we haven't had much luck when recruiting from the division - Adam Corbett and Thomas Collins were apparently two stand-out players in last season's competition but they haven't done much at all at Stenhousemuir.

I don't think there's much difference in quality between League 2 sides and the top Lowland League clubs, but the standard appears to drop off massively and I hope Swift doesn't underestimate that when he puts his squad together!

Pure fantasy booking obviously but I wonder if we would be able to get Tam Orr if Stranraer don't go up. He's a handful, had a great season and from what I understand loved working under Swift at BSC.

Matty Aitken at Albion Rovers is another I would love to see at Ochilview.

51 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Is Buzz going to be available any time soon?

I think he was taking part in some light jogging before the match against Albion Rovers last week but I've no idea how far away he is from doing anything strenuous.

Even so, I think it's important we sign a new number 1 goalkeeper, or bring back Paddy Martin on loan for a second season if it's possible. Smith had begun to look a little rickety over the past two years, making daft decisions and showing a tendency to punch the ball rather than catch it, and I didn't feel as though I could trust him as much as I did previously. I imagine he'll be further diminished following his injury.

A big call for the new manager!

4 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

Is Buzz going to be available any time soon?

From what he told me back in March, he should be back around September. Obviously could be back earlier or later than then. 

From what he told me back in March, he should be back around September. Obviously could be back earlier or later than then. 
Phew, was worried it might be more around October.

Which actually, it could be.

7 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

Slightly harsh on buzz but agree if we can get Martin back then it's a must. Maybe have buzz taking on GK coach duties

Stephen Bryceland has come in from BSC Glasgow as goalkeeper coach so I can't see that happening.

I'd need to go back and read old posts but I began to notice the decline in performance after we were relegated in 2019. Do you remember the 1-1 draw with Queen's Park at Hampden when we were heading for an unlikely win until injury time when Buzz came rushing off his line and flattened one of their players to give away a penalty? It might have been around that point.

He's been a very good player for us in the past but there's no room for sentimentality!