Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Not sure what to make of this news. On one hand, we've appointed one of the best managers from non-league football, someone who, from the outside looking in, has had BSC Glasgow punching above their weight for the past couple of years, and someone who has no connection with club, something that a lot of fans wanted given the failures of Colin McMenamin and Davie Irons.

On the other, we've given the job to someone who was last seen in the SPFL in 2008, someone who's never really worked under any real pressure before and someone who signed Ross Smith and Jamie McCormack.

I do hope Stephen Swift is a huge success at Stenhousemuir and can arrest the decline we've seen since winning promotion in 2018. Maybe it's my in-built cynicism from following the club over the past 15 years, but I'm quite cautious about it all. I seem to be the only one so it's probably just me!

Guest Midnight Express
1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Stephen Swift confirmed:

Best of luck to him, appears to be a good appointment for both parties and hopefully the fans get to see a better brand of football than the fare served up this season. 

More changes at Ochilview today as long-serving goalkeeping coach David Binnie moves on. Big Dave's been at the club for five years and has always been thoroughly agreeable whenever I've met him - I wish him well. Does anyone have any ideas about who Stephen Swift will bring in as his backroom team?

We've also recruited someone called Ian Fitzpatrick to lead our media team, which sounds intriguing. He used to work for Clyde FC.

6 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

More changes at Ochilview today as long-serving goalkeeping coach David Binnie moves on. Big Dave's been at the club for five years and has always been thoroughly agreeable whenever I've met him - I wish him well. Does anyone have any ideas about who Stephen Swift will bring in as his backroom team?

We've also recruited someone called Ian Fitzpatrick to lead our media team, which sounds intriguing. He used to work for Clyde FC.

Frazer Wright was his assistant at BSC

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I believe Swifty is bringing his full team - Stephen Bryceland was our GK coach.

Genuinely hope this move works out for all, as gutted as I am to lose him. In truth Swifty has deserved an SPFL shot for a while now and we were lucky to keep him last summer. He will demand commitment (and get it) from the dressing room, while his teams will play decent football on the eye.

...and for the record, both Ross Smith & Jamie McCormack have been excellent at our level (I know they weren't thought of as fondly while with you guys). One of the gaffers strengths is in squad building - look at the experienced names he managed to attract to us while pairing them up with young players of potential. I've absolutely no doubt that you'll be at least a playoff side next time round.

9 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

I believe Swifty is bringing his full team - Stephen Bryceland was our GK coach.

Genuinely hope this move works out for all, as gutted as I am to lose him. In truth Swifty has deserved an SPFL shot for a while now and we were lucky to keep him last summer. He will demand commitment (and get it) from the dressing room, while his teams will play decent football on the eye.

...and for the record, both Ross Smith & Jamie McCormack have been excellent at our level (I know they weren't thought of as fondly while with you guys). One of the gaffers strengths is in squad building - look at the experienced names he managed to attract to us while pairing them up with young players of potential. I've absolutely no doubt that you'll be at least a playoff side next time round.

This is all very positive stuff and it's good to read a supporter talking about their manager in such glowing terms. I'm excited about the club's direction under Stephen Swift (the last time I was enthusiastic about a managerial appointment was Scott Booth!) but my concerns above still remain and so I'm in the "cautiously optimistic" zone for the time being.

Frazer Wright! There's a chap who enjoyed a verbal spat with, myself amongst them, punters in the Ochilview stand over the years in his Stranraer days!  Let's start afresh Frazer, all the best! 

Edited by Christophe

Guest Midnight Express

I watched the Annan game last night and  guest commentator Davie Irons confirmed the new management team where in the stand watching the game. 

On 27/04/2021 at 16:05, Francesc Fabregas said:

Stephen Swift confirmed:

Best of luck to him, appears to be a good appointment for both parties and hopefully the fans get to see a better brand of football than the fare served up this season. 

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Is tonight Stephen Swift's first game as manager?

I believe that Buzz is taking the team again as the club are still in the process of sorting out testing for the new management staff. 

5 minutes ago, CEMSFC said:

I believe that Buzz is taking the team again as the club are still in the process of sorting out testing for the new management staff. 

Fair play, cheers. I imagine Swift will be there as a spectator again tonight. If he's not actually taking the team, it's good to know he'll be there to get a look at them.

More changes at Ochilview today as long-serving goalkeeping coach David Binnie moves on. Big Dave's been at the club for five years and has always been thoroughly agreeable whenever I've met him - I wish him well.

Have known David for a few years now and he’s a bloody good Goalkeeping Coach, wish him well and hope he is not out of the game for too long 🤞🏻 Exciting times for Stenny.

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

Bit of a stooshie kicking off on social media tonight. Apparently Jonathan Tiffoney has jibed at David Cox's attempted suicide and Cox has now announced he's retiring from the game.

Wow, if true then he must be looking for another club. Scumbag behaviour.