Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

1 minute ago, YoungWarrior said:

Surprised there is not more on the list. Buzz probably has another year in him, he has been great for us but Fleming certainly a good keeper for us and a fair bit younger

What difference does Greg Fleming's age make? At this level, you're primarily dealing in one-year contracts so a players age is irrelevant.

So you want a team of 11 x 35 year olds on the pitch? You don’t want a mix of experienced players to steady the ship and use their nouse and younger players to be the teams “legs”. Squad  is turned over to large extent each year and club can’t afford 3-4 year contracts but you wouldn’t want players with a few years left in the tank to allow you the chance of some continuity. You wouldn’t want that dumbo?

The club have announced a glut of players staying on for next season:

Botti Biabi, Ryan Blair, Ryan Watters and Thomas Halleran have all agreed one-year extensions. Graeme Smith has signed a new two-year deal.

Hugely surprised Blair and Biabi are sticking around for another campaign, I would have thought the pair of them would have been looking for full-time football, or at least a gig at a better part-time team, but this is good news. Blair, in particular, was developing into a good player for us in the last few months. Surprised to see Ryan Watters sticking around too but he's handy to have in reserve I suppose.

Throw in Andy Munro and Greig Spence who signed two-year deals last term (and maybe Mark McGuigan? I'm not sure what his situation is) and you've got a decent enough team to kick things off for next year, whenever it is.

Meanwhile, Scott McLaughlin, Sean Burns, Robert Wilson, Aidan McIlduff, Jordan Armstrong, Kyle Marley and Abdel Massouagoo have all departed (and Gary Harkins has retired). Our four loanees - Conor McBrearty, Connor McBride, Callum Moore and Marky Munro have all returned to their parent clubs.

McLaughlin and Armstrong left of their own volition (the latter rejected a new contract) and I wouldn't have minded keeping them on. The rest all looked mediocre on the few occasions I saw them and won't really be missed much.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

My comment on Buzz’s age was more about him possibly retiring- in that case Greig Spence would have been a shout, getting in a good keeper has been a struggle and I think the club had said at the AGM that they would look for 2 year contracts where applicable.

Having a good goalkeeper is so important - who could forget the likes of Calum Reirdford, Jamie Barclay or Colin McCabe! - so having Buzz on the books for another two years is a fine piece of business.

I'm not opposed to two-year contracts but Kieron Gibbon's was with us on a two-year deal and he was rubbish.

Having a good goalkeeper is so important - who could forget the likes of Calum Reirdford, Jamie Barclay or Colin McCabe! - so having Buzz on the books for another two years is a fine piece of business.
I'm not opposed to two-year contracts but Kieron Gibbon's was with us on a two-year deal and he was rubbish.
I wouldn't compare they two. Happy with buzz till he can't move to be honest.

Pretty content with the players that have been retained. Good base to build on. Really glad Blair has re-signed, as I am sure that there would have been other teams looking at him. Just hope that they get a chance to play some time soon. 

16 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

This is the gamble that you have to take. I understand why we have 1 year contracts but it does little for the continuity of the team.  I think the reason we have offered a few players 2 year contracts is the fact the forthcoming season is a great unknown. When will it start when will it finish?  We need to do enough to stay up this year and then really concentrate on the following season.

Not a lover of Munro, although you cannot fault his commitment,  and it will be interesting to see who plays next to him,  but what we have signed so far looks a decent base to build on.

58 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

This is the gamble that you have to take. I understand why we have 1 year contracts but it does little for the continuity of the team.  I think the reason we have offered a few players 2 year contracts is the fact the forthcoming season is a great unknown. When will it start when will it finish?  We need to do enough to stay up this year and then really concentrate on the following season.

Not a lover of Munro, although you cannot fault his commitment,  and it will be interesting to see who plays next to him,  but what we have signed so far looks a decent base to build on.

I like Andy Munro and I admire his leadership and aggression but, as has been written a lot since he joined the club, he needs to stop believing he's Rio Ferdinand and just make sure the ball is as far away from our goal as possible. We've been caught out numerous times because he's over-complicated playing it out from the back - just give it short to a midfielder and get back into position.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, the philosopher said:

From an Annan point of  view disappointed  Tommy has joined a team who were sitting 2 points below us in the league  with  a game more played  when it  was  cut short.

Obviously Annan are not able to pay the cash.

We're a much bigger, more ambitious team than Annan Athletic, I'm afraid.

We've also signed Creag Little, a defender, who was at Queen's Park last term.

59 minutes ago, the philosopher said:

From an Annan point of  view disappointed  Tommy has joined a team who were sitting 2 points below us in the league  with  a game more played  when it  was  cut short.

Obviously Annan are not able to pay the cash.

It'll be the first time a player has moved for more money or a new challenge in football. I forget how out of touch Nanna fans are with the modern world.