Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

47 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I'm always cautious when I've never heard of a player we're signing, especially when they come from East Kilbride/Lowland League.

From what the website says we've done our research properly but a 2 year deal seems a but strange. I reckon we'll need much better than this to stay up.

Looks like Airdrie were in for him as well. Might have been a 2 year contract that swung it? Unlikely to have been the money!

Suspect Bomber is getting fed up rebuilding each season hence the 2 year contracts. Graeme Smith is also on 2 years. 

21 hours ago, beaver1 said:

Looks like Airdrie were in for him as well. Might have been a 2 year contract that swung it? Unlikely to have been the money!

Suspect Bomber is getting fed up rebuilding each season hence the 2 year contracts. Graeme Smith is also on 2 years. 

When asked at a meeting last year he said that 2 year contracts wrere a gamble that they were not happy about taking in case the player turned out to be a dud or have serious injury problems.  It may be the case with what has happened this year that they have had a change of mind and are going for some stability.

Our Twitter account has just announced we've retained Colin McMenamin and Robbie Sinclair for the season ahead. McMenamin will continue in his player-coach role while Sinclair returns after an apparently successful spell in the juniors.

What's that sound? It's the sound of Moonglum's piss boiling!

13 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

What's that sound? It's the sound of Moonglum's piss boiling!

No its not - I can see McMenamen as a bit player coming of the bench,  but not as one of our main strikers, at 37 yrs of age his fitness will be an issue if he has to do 90 minutes every week

On 5/21/2018 at 11:22, Moonglum25 said:

Ross Dunlop has signed for East Fife as far as I am aware.  We only have 2 players signed at the moment by all accounts, Mr Goals and Mark Ferry.  From what I have heard there are a number of issues at play at the moment which do not auger well for next year and will come out in the wash later on.  I would be surprised if we can attract any half decent players although I have heard that we may be signing a Stranraer centre half.

So far thats 7 re-signed and 3 new signings. includes McGuigan who would have had other offers. Includes Ferry who was solid last season. Includes Smith who has been one of the best goalies at this level, includes Cook who is amongst the better wingers, includes Neill who can boss this level.

Are you any better at predicting lottery numbers Glum McMoonglum?

I'm not sure how this is going to come out in the wash unless Monglum actually says.

I'm not sure why there is such a reluctance to say whilst using an anonymous name on an internet forum.

We have signed well so far so whatever it is can't be much of a big deal.

Edited by Neilly

2 hours ago, Burnsythebinman said:

includes Cook who is amongst the better wingers

If we're talking League 1, I can assure you Alan Cook is not amongst the better wingers at this level, although in fairness he is a rather large step up from Eddie Ferns....

3 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

If we're talking League 1, I can assure you Alan Cook is not amongst the better wingers at this level, although in fairness he is a rather large step up from Eddie Ferns....

I dont think the league is awash with decent wingers so I would put Cook in the top half at least. Ferns has pace but his final ball? Shocking

Cook was excellent with us two years ago in League 1 and that season certainly was one of the best wingers in the league. His form since joining on loan from Alloa wasn't the best though. I'd say overall he's a reasonable League 1 winger.

It's far too early to say how we'll do but unless the majority of our remaining signings are Boothesque average players plucked from the Lowland League then the squad we'll have will be capable of surviving with some good management. I'm not suggesting this season is a 'free hit' but given we really weren't expecting promotion from the point it was clear Peterhead/Montrose were pulling ahead, my expectations are fairly limited.

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

He's too inconsistent to be considered among the best in the league but certainly with the budget we will be operating in (I'd imagine the lowest along with Stranraer) I doubt we could get better.

I quite fancy him to get a good pre season under his belt and replicate the form of two years ago where he was outstanding in a struggling team.

Cook was excellent in League 1 two seasons ago and was our Player of the Year. He didn't look the same player when he returned last season, but as said, with a good pre season then if he gets back to the form of two seasons ago, then I'm quite confident he will be one of the best wingers in the league.

One of our players has signed for Cowdenbeath and there is a strong possibility that another 3 or 4 may well be signing for them as well.  Mick Dunlop was not offered terms, apparently too vocal and critical in the dressingroom for the management, and is being pursued by a junior team at this time. 

Allegedly the players have not been paid yet for the play off games - there was a dispute whether their contracts had already covered this or not. They were also aware that another centre half was being signed as they were travelling to Peterhead which put all the current centre backs futures in doubt and it is to  their credit that they performed the way they did.  For most of them the joy and excitment at being promoted was short lived in how they were treated on the Tuesday when their futures were being decided. One was told that he was not being offered terms at this time but if nothing better came along then he may be resigned.   Another was offered terms, the same as last season,  but they were going to be reduced, by about a third, if he were injured during the season - a great incentive for a player to burst a gut or go into 50/50 challenges. Needless to say he did not sign.

Players were also told that despite being promoted they would only be offered contracts based on second division wages and as far as my contact has told em this has not changed.

We are currently pursuing an Alloa player but he has 4 or 5 offers to consider at this time and if it come down to wages he will be unlikely to come here.

Hopefully this player we have signed from East Kilbride will be better class than the last player we signed from them.

Edited by Moonglum25

6 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

One of our players has signed for Cowdenbeath and there is a strong possibility that another 3 or 4 may well be signing for them as well.  Mick Dunlop was not offered terms, apparently too vocal and critical in the dressingroom for the management, and is being pursued by a junior team at this time. 

Such as?