Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Stats seem to show Harkins got sent off 2 minutes after being substituted - what happened there then?
Said something to the ref and he got shown a straight red card. Not too sure what was said as even the manager is unsure.

No bad day. Brechin & Albion both beat so another game down.

In terms of our game. Sean Burns cost first two goals and until then I wasn't overly worried by Cove but they will win the league with a lot to spare. Found out their budget today and really they should be looking for back to back.

Harkins was subbed (about an hour late in many people's opinion) and was sitting on the bench when the ref walked over, at a dead ball, to lecture stenny manager David irons for being mouthy. The ref was walking back from the touch line when they suddenly turned back to the stenny dugout with red card held aloft. At first I assumed it was irons being sent to the stand but no, it was harkins.

i think harkins was calling the ref slow and lazy and this was the first case of the new rule in Scottish football being applied - the straight red card for hypocrisy.

Edited by true fan

The only positive is Harkins will now be suspended and we won't now change the shape of the full team for one guy who is not really worth it. It's shocking management from Irons to be honest.

I just want this season finished. it's been tedious at best.

Harkins shaping up to be one of the worst signings we have made.  Irons management of the team yesterday is undefendable. Changes should have been made at half time - McIlduff, if he has made the bench, should have been considered for Burns or make the switch at that time to three at the back.  Why on earth did he keep Harkins on the park for so long?  Obvious too that he has no faith in McGuigan. 

Thankfully other results went our way yesterday. 

As Neilly says the sooner this season is finished the better but do you trust Irons for another campaign?

It's early days and I don't want to be too harsh at this stage but I think you might be right about Gary Harkins. Other than that word-class assist against Cowdenbeath, he's been rubbish and we really are not getting value for money from him at all.

I thought we competed well yesterday until the first goal went in. The second made things very difficult for us and the third (a definite penalty) killed things off entirely. From that point on, we could barely get the ball off Cove Rangers and Fraser Fyvie completely dominated the game. He was tremendous yesterday, and that's exactly the kind of performance we should have be looking for from Harkins.

Sean Burns has been a decent-enough player for us but he turned in one of the worst individual displays I've seen from a Warrior in some time and he was directly responsible for the first two goals. The second in particular was criminal. When he was substituted in the second half, however, everyone, from supporters to players on the park, had no idea what was happening or who was fitting in where. I have no idea what formation we were supposed to be playing. In some ways, it must have worked because we didn't concede again but it was just garbage.

I agree with the two boys above me: this campaign has been such a disappointment. I just want to make sure we're safe and then never speak of it again.

Re Harkins - he can be a positive influence, but not in the position he was in yesterday. As Cove fannied about with the ball at the back, having Harkins lumber about spectating, only magnified his inadequacies. He has a great touch and he did play a couple of exquisite passes, one in particular to Spence, but playing up top, and certainly not playing up top when Biabbi and Spence had been doing just fine, is absolutely bonkers. And to keep him on the park so long.

I was not convinced by Burns, even before yesterday, but thought he was just bedding in, but that first half performance was really alarming. And why did Irons send him out at the start of the 2nd half. 

We really missed Ryan Blair, and I really hope he is back soon, because that was as bad as anything McMenamin's team served up, and I thought we had seen the end of that level of performance. Hopefully a one off because we have been playing well since the turn of the year, but if we play like that for the last quarter, then we could get relegated, and even if we don't, then Irons should get his jotters given the investment that has been made in the squad. That was inexcusable yesterday.

Would need to see the highlights for what happened at the first goal but for me the second was caused by the player in midfield who waited for the ball to come to him rather than attack the ball which led to Cove winning a ball they shouldn't have been anywhere near and then scoring from said ball. Had a player obstructing my view for the pelanty award but considering the player was still arguing with the lino a good 5 minutes afterwards and pointing to his stomach he seemed to think  the award was wrong.

Cove were just so much better than Stenny, don't really think they had to get out of third gear as Stenny offered nothing at all - I think it took about an hour until they had a shot at goal - with even at 0-3 too much pissing about with the ball rather than looking to attack.  Cove aren't that good a team in relation to other sides that I've seen win this league over the years.

Watching Harkins lumber about the final third, seemingly as the centre forward at certain points, was hilarious.  No idea how it lasted as long as it did, it was obvious from around 10 minutes in that Cove were happy to let Stenny faff about 35 yards from goal and then pick up loose balls and hit on the counter.

The only plusses for Stenny are at least Harkins is now suspended and that Brechin and Albion look to have no chance of catching them.

I am certainly not defending harkins performance as it was very poor.

The bottom line is thou everybody was delighted with the signing, a player of his ability should be a standout at league 2. If of course he fancies it which is maybe up for debate.

He has never and will never be a worker so to get annoyed about his work rate like a lot were around me were yesterday is just silly.

If Davie is going to keep playing him then we would need to find a formation to accommodate him and have players doing his work and yesterday certainly wasn't that.

John Paul Mcbride barely got out a jog but had the quality to control a game and make & score goals and harkins can be the same but keep utilising him as we have and he will continue to give more laughs than quality.

thought harkins did ok, but only just ok, and for what I am guessing we are paying him, he needs to give us more. thought we competed well for first 20 minutes then bottled it once cove scored. wasn't expecting to beat cove so not too unhappy with the result when brechin and rovers lost to.  just want one or two more wins so we can relax a bit and start worrying about next season instead of this

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be a tough time for every club this.

I hope we have enough resources to get through it. I pay my Season Ticket monthly so will continue to do so. I hope others follow suit. The club will need as much money as possible during the next few months

On 15/03/2020 at 19:06, Vimto90 said:

Going to be a tough time for every club this.

I hope we have enough resources to get through it. I pay my Season Ticket monthly so will continue to do so. I hope others follow suit. The club will need as much money as possible during the next few months

Yes I'd hope most ST holders will continue paying....I will and would happily stick another admission price in the pot for each called off home game for the foreseeable if there is anyway the club could set something up? 

12 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Yes I'd hope most ST holders will continue paying....I will and would happily stick another admission price in the pot for each called off home game for the foreseeable if there is anyway the club could set something up? 

In all seriousness hat off to you I suspect clubs are going to have to rely on the good grace af fans such as yourself and initiatives such as you suggest. All credit to you sit 👏👏👏

18 minutes ago, Christophe said:

It is a good idea. Maybe on the days the club was due to play it invites supporters to effectively pay the admission fee into a club account?