Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

its fine you can all chill.  I've checked it out with the huge scouts union that Scottish footy has at its fingertips and they don't use pie and Bovril. they use a subscription only super computer named Top Intelligent Tips for Scouts (TITS for short) so you can keep gossiping all you want. they did mention that you were all lapsed subscribers, but i assured them that must be a mistake, you're all fully paid up TITS 😁

If we can get him on the ball it's a quality bit of business but if we are going to continue to launch the ball as far as we can then it will all be a little pointless.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do though.

It'll be interesting to see how Willie Gibson gets on at Stenhousemuir. I wouldn't have necessarily thought he was the kind of player we needed - we have multiple midfielders who are tidy enough on the ball and not too great without it and at 35 I'm not sure how well he'll be able to cover the ground - but he's a sensational set-piece taker and he's got the know-how to succeed at this level.

I wonder where we'll field him. I can imagine him sitting in front of the defence, just like Eric "The Big Easy" Paton did in his pomp, and have him spray passes about.

I'm sure we tried to sign him in the past and offered him a wacky wage, only to be gazumped by Peterhead.

Willie is a good pro & fitness will not be a problem as he has looked after himself very well.. His free kicks can be a bit hot or cold saw him score one from 60yds against Cowdenbeath but can struggle at times to get corners past the first defender. He did various jobs for us from covering at full back & striker. Can pick a pass but sometimes will give it away in dangerous positions. A good pro who I would think can hold his own at this level for at least another couple seasons.

16 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It'll be interesting to see how Willie Gibson gets on at Stenhousemuir. I wouldn't have necessarily thought he was the kind of player we needed - we have multiple midfielders who are tidy enough on the ball and not too great without it and at 35 I'm not sure how well he'll be able to cover the ground - but he's a sensational set-piece taker and he's got the know-how to succeed at this level.

I wonder where we'll field him. I can imagine him sitting in front of the defence, just like Eric "The Big Easy" Paton did in his pomp, and have him spray passes about.

I'm sure we tried to sign him in the past and offered him a wacky wage, only to be gazumped by Peterhead.

I take it when you say our midfielders are tidy on the ball you mean that they pass it to the opposition without too much fuss.

If Gibson can pass the ball along the ground to our strikers he will do for me. His set-piece taking will be a welcome bonus.

3 minutes ago, Ancient Warrior said:

I take it when you say our midfielders are tidy on the ball you mean that they pass it to the opposition without too much fuss.

If Gibson can pass the ball along the ground to our strikers he will do for me. His set-piece taking will be a welcome bonus.

Kieran Gibbons is quite bad for that, I'll grant you that, but Dylan Dykes, Jamie McKernon and Thomas Halleran are all handy enough on the ball.

Regardless, I hope Gibson does us a good turn.

6 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Kieran Gibbons is quite bad for that, I'll grant you that, but Dylan Dykes, Jamie McKernon and Thomas Halleran are all handy enough on the ball.

Regardless, I hope Gibson does us a good turn.

Halleran is decent on the ball but the manager seems to want him to sit on the bench. Dylan Dykes is 6'2" but plays like he is 3'2" and is mostly anonymous.