Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Apparently we drew 0-0 with Oakley United today.
A clean sheet against a side from the East of Scotland Football League (Conference A), you say? Ambassador, you are spoiling us!
The old results don't matter line will come out, however should really be putting a mob like that to the sword.

46 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

A clean sheet against a side from the East of Scotland Football League (Conference A), you say? Ambassador, you are spoiling us!

Would have taken a point before it so pretty happy with that.

It makes Tuesday's game with East Kilbride must win though IMO.

What’s the thoughts on Lewis McMinn? Played as a trialist for Brechin against Dundee yesterday and other than a couple of nervy moments early on and perhaps should have done better with the goal, he made some excellent saves.

If he was offered a contract I’d fully expect him to be no 2 to O’Neil.

10 minutes ago, gm_1982 said:

What’s the thoughts on Lewis McMinn? Played as a trialist for Brechin against Dundee yesterday and other than a couple of nervy moments early on and perhaps should have done better with the goal, he made some excellent saves.

If he was offered a contract I’d fully expect him to be no 2 to O’Neil.

In his two years at the club, Lewis McMinn was out back-up goalkeeper to Chris Smith and then Graeme Smith. Having checked his stats, he came into the team for a few games in 2017/18 after big Wally was injured, although I have no memory of this happening. The games he did feature in included embarrassing home losses against Cowdenbeath and Elgin City that threatened our top-four placing. He did make one league appearance last term in a 4-1 thrashing to Arbroath in January and looked poor, slow to come off his line or offer any assurance to the defenders in front of him.

In summary, I'm not sure if he's any good or not but he would most likely be signed as reserve to Paddy O'Neill.

Bit of a bore fest yesterday. Game played at a leisurely pace. We had a few trialists playing for us but I doubt we’d be pursuing any of them. Chris O’Neil looks decent and Hopkirk was bright enough if lacking a bit of sharpness. Marky Munro done ok as well. The best chances of the game fell to McMenamin after he came on as we ran out of subs. We certainly need to add to the squad.

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:50, Francesc Fabregas said:

looked like it was used as a way to see trialists.  many established players didn't play likes Smith, Mcguigen, marsh, Mclaughlin.  different team out second half. players had been in early for a community day so it wasn't really your typical preseason friendly

2 hours ago, Burnsythebinman said:

so were look like this going by the announcements

Smith

O-Neill, Marsh, Munro, Munro

McLaughlin, McKernan, Gibbons, Halleran

Hopkirk, McGuigan

its the midfield that worries me, need a couple more in

McLaughlin will be back up centre midfield. If he is our starting right winger then we are in bother.

I'd reckon a starting right winger and a ball playing midfielder still to be signed to play alongside McKernon. 

Gibbons and McLaughlin will be able backup but if we are serious about winning the league it ain't good enough as two of a midfield four.

7 minutes ago, Neilly said:

McLaughlin will be back up centre midfield. If he is our starting right winger then we are in bother.

I'd reckon a starting right winger and a ball playing midfielder still to be signed to play alongside McKernon. 

Gibbons and McLaughlin will be able backup but if we are serious about winning the league it ain't good enough as two of a midfield four.

don't disagree with that, i'd forgot about cook, he has to be a starter

The midfield looks so stodgy, with the possible exception of Thomas Halleran. One of our (many) problems last season was the lack of creativity in the middle of the park and it doesn't appear to have been addresses yet. A 35-year-old clogger like Scott McLaughlin and Kieran Gibbons, who didn't really impress last season, just won't do.

I am looking forward to seeing McKernon. If he's as good when fit as the QP fans make out then he should be a good addition.

Heading along to EK tonight so hopefully a few trialist's catch the eye.

The trialists certainly did catch the eye. More in a laughing sense that being able to play football. The centre half and centre forward are two of the worst I've seen on a field at this level.

The French left back looked decent technically but positionally poor may be worth another look at a push.

Halleran looks like he has bulked up a bit and had a few excellent moments but apart from that what a shit show. Not one passage of decent play getting the ball down and playing.

An eye bleeding 90 minutes.

Where actually do we get the trialists from? Utter horse!! Kyle Johnston, jeeeez Thank Christ we have andy Munro and David marsh oh and Graeme Smith.

scott maglauchlin looked steady but there is surly something better out there , know we are missing likes of marsh and cook but got to be a few concerns with how our squad is currently looking