Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Good to see Marsh committing. He has been excellent since he returned. A lot more composed. No red cards! 

I expect a few of the players will wait and see which league we are in eg Hurst, Neill, but a decent squad being put together. 

OK chaps, back to this season. I'm coming down tomorrow. We'll have a full squad but are coming off the back of the worst game of the season against Dumbarton. How do you think tomorrow's game will be? And more importantly, is the pie hut still closed and if so does the big food caravan do a good pie?

I went along to Ochilview today as my girlfriend has recently moved close by and I was up visiting.

Really enjoyed the experience if not the result. You can see why Forfar are now up into 2nd place. Some very tidy football and were never really threatened. Reilly in the middle of the park in particular stood out.

Obviously McGuigan and Hurst up front are big players for Stenny but beyond that, and Donaldson at left back, I thought Forfar were better across the park.

Very harsh sending off for Munro - was right on front of me- but you could see the ref was choking to send him off once he had a few chomps at him.

Already planning a return trip next week against East Fife!

Copied from SPL Forum as a point of interest to us

ES Clydebank's first game in their only Scottish league season, 64-65, which finished in a draw against Stenhousemuir. Crowd was 6000, scorers were Arthur Hamill scoring both for the home side, with Stenhousemuir equalising and then leading through Pat Henderson and Bobby Bryce respectively. That's Hamill's first, the first ever ES Clydebank goal, lower right. image.thumb.png.774ade604ebe09cb2fbea804b07a0548.png

So the best we can get is a play off place after being thoroughly beaten on Saturday. Referee was poor and Baird should have walked for three bad tackles and Munro gets sent off for swearing[emoji35]. About what you expect from that clown who is one of the poorer referees about. Every time we ask the community to get out and support we have a stinker although genuinely think Forfar would have beaten us even if we had played better. 2 very big games and then it looks like the play offs it will be Clyde in the first round if we get there. Every year drama till the last[emoji848]

1 minute ago, Happy Pebble said:

So the best we can get is a play off place after being thoroughly beaten on Saturday. Referee was poor and Baird should have walked for three bad tackles and Munro gets sent off for swearingemoji35.png. About what you expect from that clown who is one of the poorer referees about. Every time we ask the community to get out and support we have a stinker although genuinely think Forfar would have beaten us even if we had played better. 2 very big games and then it looks like the play offs it will be Clyde in the first round if we get there. Every year drama till the lastemoji848.png

It'll be Annan Athletic in the play-off semi-final - they're the side finishing the season in fourth place.

Providing we finish in ninth, I'd fancy us to get the better of Annan but Clyde are a very handy side and I'm a little wary of them.

1 minute ago, Happy Pebble said:

So the best we can get is a play off place after being thoroughly beaten on Saturday. Referee was poor and Baird should have walked for three bad tackles and Munro gets sent off for swearingemoji35.png. About what you expect from that clown who is one of the poorer referees about. Every time we ask the community to get out and support we have a stinker although genuinely think Forfar would have beaten us even if we had played better. 2 very big games and then it looks like the play offs it will be Clyde in the first round if we get there. Every year drama till the lastemoji848.png

We play whoever finish 4th in the semi-finals so that would be Annan

It'll be Annan Athletic in the play-off semi-final - they're the side finishing the season in fourth place.
Providing we finish in ninth, I'd fancy us to get the better of Annan but Clyde are a very handy side and I'm a little wary of them.
I fancy you boys to do the business in the play-offs

2 minutes ago, mo83 said:
2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I fancy you boys to do the business in the play-offs

Clyde are playing very well at the moment and probably have been the best side in League 2 this season. They play good football and there are a few players who could easily make the step up into this division. I know every team will be keen to win promotion/remain in the league but their points deduction probably gives them an extra incentive to make it through the play-offs.

If we do make it to the play-off final, I'd much prefer it to be against Edinburgh City.

Stenny are a very experienced side in the play offs and I also expect them to see it through if they make it.

I agree Clyde are a threat but few gave the Warriors much chance against Jim McInally's chokers last season. They were absolute dung and Stenny were deserved winners.

I wonder if you'd have been even better off if you'd persisted with Brown Ferguson? Seemed really strange that he was given his jotters from this distance.

I wonder if you'd have been even better off if you'd persisted with Brown Ferguson? Seemed really strange that he was given his jotters from this distance.

I was thinking the same after Saturday's results. It's hard to judge when you aren't watching a team week in week out. I'd be interested to know the Stenny fan's thoughts on the change of gaffer and whether or not they think Ferguson could've kept them up.

Our starting eleven is a vast, vast improvement from Ferguson’s time at the club. Of course had he gotten to the transfer window he would have had the opportunity to improve that himself but he didn’t and I wouldn’t go back and change the decision now if given the option. I really don’t see any different outcome had he remained at the club. Most of the damage was done, including the still very much in play abysmal GD, in Brown Ferguson’s chapter of the season for me.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I was thinking the same after Saturday's results. It's hard to judge when you aren't watching a team week in week out. I'd be interested to know the Stenny fan's thoughts on the change of gaffer and whether or not they think Ferguson could've kept them up.

He made a mess of it at the end of last season. The team was fairly reasonable and the defence only needed a few tweaks. Instead it appears he assumed a number of players would be resigning when in actual fact they were making plans to go to other clubs.  The loss of Ross Meachan,  Ross Dunlop and David Marsh were sore ones and the replacement he brought in especially Reid and Tena were an absolute joke.  The timing of and the time it took to make a substitution were also a joke.  McMenamen made a first half sub on Saturday as things were not working out - Ferguson would never have done that. Too many times the substitutions were made too late in the game. Under him we never looked like winning two games running.

3 hours ago, Whatif said:

He made a mess of it at the end of last season. The team was fairly reasonable and the defence only needed a few tweaks. Instead it appears he assumed a number of players would be resigning when in actual fact they were making plans to go to other clubs.  The loss of Ross Meachan,  Ross Dunlop and David Marsh were sore ones and the replacement he brought in especially Reid and Tena were an absolute joke.  The timing of and the time it took to make a substitution were also a joke.  McMenamen made a first half sub on Saturday as things were not working out - Ferguson would never have done that. Too many times the substitutions were made too late in the game. Under him we never looked like winning two games running.

Pretty much that^

Was told that Brown didn't offer Ross Dunlop a contract, until the end of the season, as he wasn't sure if he wanted to keep Mick on, he didn't want to separate them. 

We are running a tournament on our twitter to decide who wins goal of the season.  

Semi-Final 1 is currently taking place with Semi-Final 2 taking place tomorrow.

Check it out