Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Having been unable / unwilling to watch warriors play on the feeds that are provided I’m wondering who our best 3 attackers are if all are healthy. I’m assuming a fit Hopkirk’s name would be right on the team sheet?

what about muir v mcguigan? Could it be that neither play and biabi or spence be the central attacker - maybe more of a false 9 with hopkirk and a.n. other cutting in from wider positions. So many questions, so few answers, so much time on my hands, so many forwards festooning our squad, so tell me ......

Just now, true fan said:

Having been unable / unwilling to watch warriors play on the feeds that are provided I’m wondering who our best 3 attackers are if all are healthy. I’m assuming a fit Hopkirk’s name would be right on the team sheet?

what about muir v mcguigan? Could it be that neither play and biabi or spence be the central attacker - maybe more of a false 9 with hopkirk and a.n. other cutting in from wider positions. So many questions, so few answers, so much time on my hands, so many forwards festooning our squad, so tell me ......

It's a good question, because all of our forwards can do something different but given Davie Irons' predilection for a 4-3-3 formation, I think his preferred players are Botti Biabi on the left, David Hopkirk on the right and Tam Muir through the middle.

That, of course, leaves Mark McGuigan (beloved), Greig Spence (underwhelming), Tam Collins (who's just been interviewed saying the only reason he's here is because he'll play) and Cammy Graham (a back-up who's probably featured more than anyone expected so far).

Seven into three just doesn't go!

1 hour ago, Elric said:

Heard the bus had left for Peterhead before the game was called off. If that is the case that is a disgrace and a decision should have been made on Friday night. Money at this time wasted.

Funny how people’s opinions differ. On the Elgin thread there were Ayr supporters moaning that the pitch inspection was not left till mid day on Saturday to give the pitch a chance to thaw with the rising temperatures!

Hello everyone, Marky Munro has become the latest jobber to sign for Clyde. I noticed he spent a bit of time at yourselves, what kind of player might we be getting (if the season makes it far enough to see him play). Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

Hello everyone, Marky Munro has become the latest jobber to sign for Clyde. I noticed he spent a bit of time at yourselves, what kind of player might we be getting (if the season makes it far enough to see him play). Thanks in advance.

Marky Munro made 12 appearances for Stenhousemuir last season, more than double the number of times I thought he played. He featured regularly enough in the early stages of the campaign but was injured in late autumn and we only saw him the once in 2020. He can play in the middle of the park, wide right and at right-back.

Munro didn't make much of an impression on me - while he's tidy enough on the ball and can put himself about, he's quite a slight boy and has no real stand-out attributes. I'm surprised to see him joining a team in League 1, to be honest. I don't think he's quite got what it takes to make it in the SPFL although I'm happy to be proven wrong!

I hope he does you a good turn.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

• 3 weeks later...

Andy Munro has left the club and returned to Forfar Athletic. The statement on the club website says the Loons made two bids for him before a bid was accepted at the end of last week.

I did not see this transfer coming. I would imagine we'd have someone else lined up at centre-back to replace because losing our captain and one of two centre-backs with any real experience in the game could be damaging!

Bit of a shocker that. I'm really surprised part time teams are throwing money about for transfer fees during these hard times more than anything.

Had his moments but on the whole he's been a good player for us. Particularly at the start when he joined and this season he's been very good and will be difficult to replace. Always gave everything on the park so best of luck to him with the move.

Aye, liked him a lot as a player. He was vocal, aggressive, never let his head drop and seemed like a good guy to have around our younger players. Fancied himself as a bit of an Alessandro Nesta a few too many times but a steady stopper, and that's something you really need at this level.

Aye, liked him a lot as a player. He was vocal, aggressive, never let his head drop and seemed like a good guy to have around our younger players. Fancied himself as a bit of an Alessandro Nesta a few too many times but a steady stopper, and that's something you really need at this level.
That's exactly how I feel about him and think it's what we need just now. I have my doubts about him coming up against quicker and skillful players but anything in the air is his.

We've needed a centre back as we've had Michael Travis, Darren Whyte and Steven Anderson all out for the season and subsequently it's been a position we've struggled with (not to say the rest of the team haven't struggled).

Hopefully we can now have a more solid base to build from, although dare I say our squad is now looking a bit of a good for League Two squad where I'd imagine we'll be next year should the current season continue.

I should be disappointed to see Munro go, and excited about the prospect of a new signing, but I couldn’t care less. Never thought this would happen, but I am so disillusioned with football that I don’t care. I would rather we just scrapped this season and came back when fans are allowed in.

11 hours ago, beaver1 said:

I should be disappointed to see Munro go, and excited about the prospect of a new signing, but I couldn’t care less. Never thought this would happen, but I am so disillusioned with football that I don’t care. I would rather we just scrapped this season and came back when fans are allowed in.

After 50 odd years of supporting the Warriors I am very much in the same frame of mind. Hopefully will be enthusiastic when football restarts with fans in but sadly at the moment I really do not care. I think the crap camera coverage has helped to contribute to this feeling.  Hard to get excited about a game when the camera misses much of it.

• 2 weeks later...