Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Hi all

Announcer extraordinaire Craig G Telfer was good enough to come back on the Airdrie podcast ahead of our trip to Stenhousemuir on Tuesday night.

He tells us what he thinks of the Warriors prospects for the coming season, why he’s not convinced Thomas Robert has the Je ne sais pas to make it in Scotland, what happened to Chris O’Neil and what we can expect when A View From the Terrace comes back for its third series on Friday night

Link below if anyone wishes to listen and may the best team win on Tuesday [emoji1303]

Played reasonably well but not best camera angle to see the far side.   Tapping looks the part and his goal was a corker and he could be our main man this season.  Young keeper looked fairly sound and had a good game.  When you look at the 2 goals we conceded we need another centre half.

Airdrie will be a good test.

I was able to take in this evening's match in my capacity as stadium announcer and was broadly pleased by what I saw, in the second half, at least. We lined up in a 3-4-3 formation, with Jonathan Tiffoney and young Callum Yeats as wing-backs and Greig Spence and David Hopkirk flanking Tommy Muir up top. The first 45 minutes was rubbish and I really struggled to see what we were looking to do other than whack longs balls for Muir to compete for. It worked sometimes, and Spence and Hopkirk looked for his flicks and knock-downs, but it was brutal to watch.

We were at our best whenever Callum Tapping got on the ball. Tapping really looks like he could be a superb player for us and he always looked to make space for himself and either keep play ticking over or try killer through-balls further forward. There was one chipped pass in the second half to Muir that was just wonderful. If I was Davie Irons, I'd be telling Andy Munro and Creag Little to look for Tapping whenever he's free (although you have to question why you'd want to use a back three when your best player wants to come deep to collect the ball).

We were much better in the second half, despite conceding a poor goal to Paul McKay minutes after the restart - someone, I'm not sure who, shot and Callum Erskine slapped the ball back into his penalty box. A subsequent effort was blocked but the third attempt was stabbed home by McKay. He might have been offside, I'm not sure. From that point on, however, we began to look quite handy, with Tapping becoming increasingly influential and Tiffoney and Yeats pushing high up on the flanks. Spence shot over the bar, Tapping doing something similar and Botti Biabi, who came on for Hopkirk, forcing Max Currie into a save. Biabi would miss an open goal at the death, but he was probably off balance when the ball was squared to him.

Craig Thomson scored with a deflected shot with minutes remaining which gives the impression we were soundly beaten. This wasn't the case and if we can replicate our second-half performance against Albion Rovers on Saturday, I think we have a good chance against them.

There were a couple of guys I'd seen for the first time tonight. One of them, Paul Brown, really impressed me in his short time on the pitch. He came on for Chris McQueen (who looked alright in the back three) and showed some lovely touches higher up the pitch. I'd like to see more of him. The rest were fine.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I was able to take in this evening's match in my capacity as stadium announcer and was broadly pleased by what I saw, in the second half, at least. We lined up in a 3-4-3 formation, with Jonathan Tiffoney and young Callum Yeats as wing-backs and Greig Spence and David Hopkirk flanking Tommy Muir up top. The first 45 minutes was rubbish and I really struggled to see what we were looking to do other than whack longs balls for Muir to compete for. It worked sometimes, and Spence and Hopkirk looked for his flicks and knock-downs, but it was brutal to watch.

We were at our best whenever Callum Tapping got on the ball. Tapping really looks like he could be a superb player for us and he always looked to make space for himself and either keep play ticking over or try killer through-balls further forward. There was one chipped pass in the second half to Muir that was just wonderful. If I was Davie Irons, I'd be telling Andy Munro and Creag Little to look for Tapping whenever he's free (although you have to question why you'd want to use a back three when your best player wants to come deep to collect the ball).

We were much better in the second half, despite conceding a poor goal to Paul McKay minutes after the restart - someone, I'm not sure who, shot and Callum Erskine slapped the ball back into his penalty box. A subsequent effort was blocked but the third attempt was stabbed home by McKay. He might have been offside, I'm not sure. From that point on, however, we began to look quite handy, with Tapping becoming increasingly influential and Tiffoney and Yeats pushing high up on the flanks. Spence shot over the bar, Tapping doing something similar and Botti Biabi, who came on for Hopkirk, forcing Max Currie into a save. Biabi would miss an open goal at the death, but he was probably off balance when the ball was squared to him.

Craig Thomson scored with a deflected shot with minutes remaining which gives the impression we were soundly beaten. This wasn't the case and if we can replicate our second-half performance against Albion Rovers on Saturday, I think we have a good chance against them.

There were a couple of guys I'd seen for the first time tonight. One of them, Paul Brown, really impressed me in his short time on the pitch. He came on for Chris McQueen (who looked alright in the back three) and showed some lovely touches higher up the pitch. I'd like to see more of him. The rest were fine.

Hard to disagree with your assessment on your team and the 2nd half after we scored certainly belonged to Stenhousemuir. I have no idea about offside for MCKay . Someone said later that you can rewind the play but as I took 30 minutes to recover from my initial IT efforts, I did not dare. I was relieved when we got that 2nd even if I had no idea who scored ,so thanks to the commentators ( I missed their names )for helping. I thought your 4-4-2 was more forward thinking and in some ways i wish we had two guys playing up front as strikers.  There is a lot more style needed from us. The TV bits were mainly good but you had some of the same problems as us-one bit where you had a good attack but the camera only got there for the follow up corner. I was watching on my laptop and I found myself trying to look around the edges!  ITeething problems aside it was worth the £8.00.  Good luck and give the Rovers a thumping.

Well done the bbc website. Says warriors 3-1 winners but only gives times and scorers for 2nd and 3rd goals. Assist for 1st goal listed. When I go through the text updates I learn that spence scored it - oddly he isn’t listed as playing on the site

mmmh

Comfortable victory against an awful Albion Rovers team.

Make no mistake they will be pushing Brechin close as the worst team in the league but we still had to get the job done on a notoriously difficult pitch and venue for ourselves.

Three good goals from our point of view. Tapping ran the show again without breaking sweat. Yeats strolled it again he's been brilliant in all the games I've seen. 

Still Blair to come back and with Halleran, Biabi and McGuigan kicking around we have some quality players not in the team just now. Promising signs but aye lets see us against decent opposition before getting carried away.

• 3 weeks later...

Disappointed that the club have not released DVD, commemorative shirts etc to mark the occasion.

Congratulations to all below who made history for the club and just to put it into perspective look at the standard of the Dundee United team. A great day that will never be forgotten.

Teams

Stenhousemuir:

GK   Scotland Roddy McKenzie
DF   Scotland Eamonn Bannon
DF   Scotland Lloyd Haddow
DF   Scotland Graeme Armstrong
DF   Scotland George McGeachie
MF   Scotland Adrian Sprott
MF   Scotland Paul Hunter
MF   Scotland Jimmy Fisher Substituted off 118'
FW   Scotland Miller Mathieson
MF   Scotland Gareth Hutchison
FW   Scotland Ian Little
Substitutes:
DF   Scotland Neil Aitken
FW   Scotland Tommy Steel Substituted in 118'
MF   Scotland Paul Logan
Manager:
Scotland Terry Christie

Dundee United:

GK   Scotland Ally Maxwell
DF   Scotland Rab Shannon
DF   Scotland Maurice Malpas
DF   Scotland Steven Pressley
DF   Scotland Christian Dailly
MF   Scotland Ray McKinnon
MF   Scotland Andy McLaren   Substituted off 60'
MF   Scotland Grant Johnson
FW   Scotland Gary McSwegan
FW   Republic of Ireland Owen Coyle   Substituted off 73'
FW   Scotland Robbie Winters
Substitutes:
FW   Scotland Craig Brewster   Substituted in 73'
GK   Republic of Ireland Kelham O'Hanlon
DF   Scotland Jamie McQuilken   Substituted in 60'
Manager:
Scotland Billy Kirkwood

Poor quality but a moment in time

Edited by Hard Graft

That is a sore one for both him and us.  He is 37 now and that may well be the end of his playing days. Good luck to him and hopefully a speedy recovery.

We now need a decent keeper for the rest of the season. The next couple of games will show if the Hibs boy is up to it.

2 hours ago, beaver1 said:

Graeme Smith is out for the season (and forever?) Cruciate ligament injury. It’s a real blow for us, but the new guy from Hibs looked decent enough last week. Looks like he will be with us for longer than originally planned.

Ah that's a damn shame, he's been a very good player for us over the piece. That sounds like a horrendous injury and it's hard to imagine someone of his age coming back from it.

Fair play to everyone associated with the club today - I think that was the most complete performance from a Stenhousemuir FC side I've seen since we beat Falkirk in the Scottish Cup two years ago. The work rate, the pressing, the intensity was outrageous and we out-fought and out-manoeuvred a handy Edinburgh City team. We were the better side from the first kick of the ball until the final whistle and everyone who took part today should be very pleased with their efforts.

Special mentions to Andy Munro (as dominant a performance from a centre-back we're likely to see this season), Callum Yeats (a future Scotland international) and Tommy Muir (much maligned but willing, able and selfless throughout).

It's been a very decent start to the season so far - long may it continue!

It's difficult to pick out individuals in such a tremendous team performance but I also have to give a special mention to Andy Munro. He was absolutely outstanding today in every department. A true captain's performance.

Muir needed a big performance after a poor start with us and we got it today. He rag dolled Edinburgh throughout epitomised with the penalty that he won for Spence, they just looked scared to match him for physicality all day.

The camera seemed a lot better today and it was a more enjoyable watch because of that. Had the commentary on mute though the comms is still ahead of the action (well for me anyway) and that kind of ruins the viewing experience if you know what's going to happen before you have seen it. I'm sure we will get there in time the experience is improving by the game keep up the good work.

I look forward to seeing us lifting the league title in front of 6 board members next season from the comfort of my own home. 

14 minutes ago, Neilly said:

The camera seemed a lot better today and it was a more enjoyable watch because of that. Had the commentary on mute though the comms is still ahead of the action (well for me anyway) and that kind of ruins the viewing experience if you know what's going to happen before you have seen it. I'm sure we will get there in time the experience is improving by the game keep up the good work.

Must be something on your end Neilly, the commentary on the footage I have is synced up, not too sure what the issue may be though. 

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Well done on getting the highlights out bang on midnight!

Had nothing else planned for the evening so thought why not. Will try get all home game highlights out at midnight 

8 hours ago, CEMSFC said:

Must be something on your end Neilly, the commentary on the footage I have is synced up, not too sure what the issue may be though. 

Aye I thought it was probably at my end. Nokia 3310 is not the way to be watching a game in fairness I only have myself to blame.

Can only echo what FF and Neilly have said.  Great performance from everyone today and an enjoyable game to watch. Always a pleasure to work it up Craig Thomson.

As others have said special mention to Andy Munro, I am not a great fan of his but though he was outstanding today and Muir showed why he is in the team ahead on McGuigan.

Will be interesting to see how Irons approaches the Bedfred Cup games - keep the team as is or keep them injury free?

https://live.alloaathletic.co.uk/event/5f8ab0d2025dac7c136aba89

Just putting this out early to get it out the way - £10 PPV

We're joystick controlled so shouldn't be Mr Pixellot's wild AI view. 

Hopefully you guys will have experience of the buying platform since you're on it too and it'll be less of a headache this week!