Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

6 hours ago, true fan said:

Kane not a defensive midfielder? Waters not a forward - is he being converted?

Kane can play in the back 4 and Waters has been playing Left Back/Wing in pre season, playing not too bad either. 

2 hours ago, CEMSFC said:

Kane can play in the back 4 and Waters has been playing Left Back/Wing in pre season, playing not too bad either. 

That's interesting, I'm sure I read on the website that Davie Irons said we signed Chris Kane so Callum Tapping and Ryan Blair could play further forward in the middle of the park.

Two boys are coming in on loan from Hibernian - they should be confirmed next week.

And, for what it's worth, I agree 100 per cent with Moonglum's comments on Mark McGuigan - far too good a player to sideline, especially in our current predicament.

And sure enough, Jayden Fairley and Callum Yeats have joined the club on a development loan from Hibernian.

Yeats is a left-sided defender; Fairley is an attacking midfielder.

Our squad going into the season ahead is:

Goalkeepers
Graeme Smith

Defenders
Creag Little (signed from Queen's Park)
Andy Munro
Jonathan Tiffoney
Callum Yeats (signed from Hibernian (on loan))

Midfielders
Ryan Blair
Paul Brown (signed from Dunfermline Athletic)
Jayden Fairley (signed from Hibernian (on loan))
Cameron Graham (signed from Dunfermline Athletic)
Chris Kane (signed from Edinburgh City)
Thomas Halleran
Martin Shiels (signed from Gartcairn Juniors)
Callum Tapping (signed from Forfar Athletic)

Forwards
Botti Biabi
David Hopkirk
Mark McGuigan
Tommy Muir (signed from Annan Athletic)
Greig Spence
Ryan Watters

I appreciate that some players are likely to fill in across various positions (Kane at centre-back; Watters at full-back) but that's a bang-average squad for the season ahead. I'm not really finding much to get excited about here.

Watters at left back/wing back. I'll crack the jokes. Just because he has briefly played there in friendlies means nothing. He will never play a first team game at left back let's not kid ourselves.

I think the chances of lower league football completing the season are slim. If it does I will be delighted with our 6th place finish.

3 hours ago, Christophe said:

See Edinburgh City are doing their League Cup game tonight as PPV for a tenner. So presume the same will apply for Saturday. 

If you think I'm going to give a tenner to a rival club, to watch a game we'll probably lose, in a competition we've no chance of progressing in, you be God damn right.

How's lockdown been?

Shite.

Is it good to be back?

Yes.

Whats our ambitions for the season?

Promotion.

Could be doing with mixing those interviews up a bit lads it's the same script and answers for everyone.

Aye, I don't want to be too negative (again!) but these player interviews aren't all that good. Footballers aren't the greatest interviewees at the best of times but they're not being asked anything fun or interesting, so all the answers are virtually the same.

On top of that, they're badly framed (look at all the negative space and headroom!), out of focus and the audio is poor. You really have to concentrate to make out what's being said.

Hopefully we can see some improvement as the season goes on.

The club have confirmed the signing of four new players:

• Callum Erskine, a 19-year-old goalkeeper who was last with Bury
  • Jack Hodge, a midfielder, formerly of Hibernian
  • Josh Grigor, a centre-back who joins us from Hamilton Academical
  • Chris McQueen, 18, another centre-back who signs from Celtic

I've never heard of any of them. I hope they do us a good turn when called upon.

47 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

The club have confirmed the signing of four new players:

• Callum Erskine, a 19-year-old goalkeeper who was last with Bury
  • Jack Hodge, a midfielder, formerly of Hibernian
  • Josh Grigor, a centre-back who joins us from Hamilton Academical
  • Chris McQueen, 18, another centre-back who signs from Celtic

I've never heard of any of them. I hope they do us a good turn when called upon.

Was Erskine not the keeper you described as being left in Kirkcaldy after a friendly?

Sat on our bench as trialist for a few games last season after Bury dissolved.

3 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Was Erskine not the keeper you described as being left in Kirkcaldy after a friendly?

Sat on our bench as trialist for a few games last season after Bury dissolved.

Haha! He is now a Stenhousemuir FC player and I wish him all the best. He should not be tricked into getting off the team bus to check on a suspicious noise.

Seen Jack Hodge play a couple of times, he was in the same Scottish Schoolboys side as Tiwi Daramola against Australia at Ochilview last year. Seen him for Civil Service against EK once too. Very hard working central midfielder from what I've seen. He was definitely one who stood out in those games hence I remember him. So hopefully does us a turn. He will have played in the same Hibs youth team as the boy Fairley that we also signed I assume. 

Seen Hamilton reserves a few times last year but can't say the name Grigor stands out, so not sure what he's like. All the best to all the lads though, hopefully enough talent in there for some of them to give the manager selection headaches.

Edited by Christophe

38 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Seen Jack Hodge play a couple of times, he was in the same Scottish Schoolboys side as Tiwi Daramola against Australia at Ochilview last year. Seen him for Civil Service against EK once too. Very hard working central midfielder from what I've seen. He was definitely one who stood out in those games hence I remember him. So hopefully does us a turn. He will have played in the same Hibs youth team as the boy Fairley that we also signed I assume. 

Seen Hamilton reserves a few times last year but can't say the name Grigor stands out, so not sure what he's like. All the best to all the lads though, hopefully enough talent in there for some of them to give the manager selection headaches.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10218

Further point of interest....

Stenhousemuir's first Brazilian player? 😆

In terms of the interviews we got sent a list of questions we were allowed to ask so it is always going to be repetitive after 20 players 

the reason we have been having trouble with the audio is because of the 2 metre distance rule and without the proper equipment its hard to fix that. we did suggest going inside to do the interviews but this wasn't possible due to a majority of the building being in the red zone and we  are only allowed in the amber zone to do filming

hopefully over time we will start to upgrade our equipment to make these videos/interviews better.

regardless its for the football to be back 

Enjoyed the match highlights from yesterday's match. The graphics look the part and it was good to hear "wiv maself, Stephen Dixon" back on the commentary. Hard to tell how well we played but Callum Tapping's late equaliser was lovely and young Calum Erskine had a decent game in goal; fair play to him .

Ainslie Park must be one of the worst grounds to film at - when the ball's over the far end of the pitch, it's almost impossible to tell what's going on.