Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

You were pretty shit last year though.
All that unfulfilled promise from a  big team, even little Annan were above you.
Report card - could do better.
Oh we were shit alright, easily done your mob 3-0 just before Lockdown at Galabank as well. Says it all.

We have signed Chris Kane from Edinburgh City.

He's not a player who's ever really stuck out but going by Davie Irons' comments on the website, he's going to anchor the middle of the park and give the better players the insurance to get forward and attack.

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We have signed Chris Kane from Edinburgh City.

He's not a player who's ever really stuck out but going by Davie Irons' comments on the website, he's going to anchor the middle of the park and give the better players the insurance to get forward and attack.

He had a bit of a slow start making a few mistakes but gradually improved I suppose. Probably behind the pecking order with Laird and a fit again Black covering centre midfield. 

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

He had a bit of a slow start making a few mistakes but gradually improved I suppose. Probably behind the pecking order with Laird and a fit again Black covering centre midfield. 

My expectations have been suitably tempered.

It'll be the first time a player has moved for more money or a new challenge in football. I forget how out of touch Nanna fans are with the modern world.

More money you think? An extra hours travel to a club that’s below us in the league? For a new challenge?
Maybe it’s Mr Muir that’s out of touch with the modern world.

This Montrose fan has been hoaching on this move for a while eh?

He will definitely be away but I can't imagine him wanting to travel to Angus at this stage in his career. East Kilbride seem fairly ambitious and I am sure he stays round those parts so seems a logical move but of course he could still play in League One or Two with a manager that believes in him.

25 minutes ago, Neilly said:

This Montrose fan has been hoaching on this move for a while eh?

He will definitely be away but I can't imagine him wanting to travel to Angus at this stage in his career. East Kilbride seem fairly ambitious and I am sure he stays round those parts so seems a logical move but of course he could still play in League One or Two with a manager that believes in him.

We have been after him a for a long time going back to your game against Aberdeen,was told their was an offer on the table from Montrose around about then but chose to stay and sign a new deal.East Kilbride is a fair commute to angus right enough be easier staying local just have to wait and see what happens.

6 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Salim Kouider-Alissa signs for Livingstone on a two year deal. Joins Nicky Devin who was also deemed not good enough for us.

Loads of talented lads about mate but some clubs are not willing or to arrogant to take a chance on them huge step up for salim no doubt but 2yr deal with option of a third gives him a chance well done to him great move 

2 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

Salim Kouider-Alissa signs for Livingstone on a two year deal. Joins Nicky Devin who was also deemed not good enough for us.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here - are you saying Stenhousemuir made a mistake in releasing Salim Kouider-Aissa in 2014? I don't remember anyone making an issue of it at the time and I'd say the management made the right decision. He looked miles off it during his time at Ochilview and his failure to make a subsequent impact at Queen of the South and then Stirling Albion probably suggested he wasn't good enough for the SPFL.

The player deserves enormous credit for the steps he's taken since then, dropping down to amateur level and then second-tier junior football before winning his move to Queen's Park last summer. I thought he was the best striker in the division last season and he looked a thousand times the player we had six years ago. I hope he's a big success at Livingston.

I think we made a mistake releasing Nicky Devlin, which was proved immediately when he signed for Ayr United, but not in the case of Kouider-Aissa.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here - are you saying Stenhousemuir made a mistake in releasing Salim Kouider-Aissa in 2014? I don't remember anyone making an issue of it at the time and I'd say the management made the right decision. He looked miles off it during his time at Ochilview and his failure to make a subsequent impact at Queen of the South and then Stirling Albion probably suggested he wasn't good enough for the SPFL.
The player deserves enormous credit for the steps he's taken since then, dropping down to amateur level and then second-tier junior football before winning his move to Queen's Park last summer. I thought he was the best striker in the division last season and he looked a thousand times the player we had six years ago. I hope he's a big success at Livingston.
I think we made a mistake releasing Nicky Devlin, which was proved immediately when he signed for Ayr United, but not in the case of Kouider-Aissa.

Would have to second this and back up the above from a Stirling Albion perspective also.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

No merely commenting on the fact that he has impressed at trials and signed for Livvy.  He certainly did not look likely to succeed during his time with us and cannot see him being a straight replacement of Lyndon Dykes if he gets a move.   The release of Devlin was hard to comprehend, think it was Booth who released him.

With Lithgow also being there that makes it 3 of our ex players now with one club in SPL.

Scott Booth released Nicky Devlin for "not being confident enough" - he subsequently went on to captain Ayr United, play in the English lower leagues and join Livingston in the Premiership.

Robbie Duncan, who he preferred ahead of him, meanwhile... any ideas?

Scott Booth was a terrible manager. What a laugh that all was.

Salim Kouider-Alissa did not do much when he was with us but looked a far improved player with Queens Park last year. If anything I think he may have been carrying a bit weight or maybe he has just filled out as he was no push over when on the ball.   Certainly looked like one of the better strikers in the league last year.  Just goes to show how difficult it must be for management to judge a young player and the decision on whether to keep them or punt them.  Good luck to the lad getting back to a top level in Scotland after dropping down the levels.  Not often you see that happening.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Robbie Duncan, who he preferred ahead of him, meanwhile... any ideas?

Scott Booth was a terrible manager. What a laugh that all was.

Robbie Duncan last heard of at BSC Glasgow how Booth thought he was better than Devlin is anyone's guess and he certainly did not look if he lacked confidence.

Booth was a disaster although on paper at the start it looked an interesting appointment. It certainly was not funny and was glad to see him go.