Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Right. Spence has not had a good time at us, however....

He signed for us last January, in the second half of last season we struggled quite a bit as teams had changed their game against us. They came and sat in and made us break them down, we struggled with that and our results were so so until we limped over the line. The strikers were rotating an awful lot too, different partnerships week to week which was strange as Wallace and McKenna had been excellent. It disrupted us a bit and wasn't easy for either Spence or Donnelly who we also signed at that time.

At the start of this season he looked fit and sharp and honestly thought he could've went on and done well. Had a run of games where he started, scored a couple of goals in the League Cup (good 2 goals on the highlights where we beat Stirling 6-1 where you'll get a good idea of what he can be like) and looked hungry and was putting himself about. He never done anything great but Donnelly and Doris had been so poor he was getting a chance and I was glad he was.

Ironically him putting himself about lead to this probably. He got a silly booking by leaving a leg in on the Dunfermline keeper, at half time he got subbed, Luke Donnelly comes on, scores a great goal in the 47th minute and from there on Donnelly became really good and Spence never got much of a look in except the odd spell off the bench.

This league is a hard league, the way we play means the striker has to do a lot of running and be good at holding the ball up. That's not Spences game and funnily enough it suits LD quite well. Donnelly is brilliant when he gets the ball into his feet and never stops. Spence needs to play in a 2 and to be getting chances.

In his last appearance for us he had a superb header somehow tipped over the bar by Mark Ridgers, then a penalty box scramble where he done so well, and you were sure he was going to score... and he somehow sclaffed it wide. That sums his time up at Arbroath but in my opinion he can do well for Stenny and I really hope he does. He needs a break.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I hope so too but I have my suspicions - two years is a wild period for a striker to go without netting in the league and I think it'll take more than dropping into League 2 for him to get his mojo back. I hope he's a massive success and can help move the team away from the bottom of the table but I'm feeling quite cautious about it.

To be fair he was benched most of that time at alloa and Arbroath , get his confidence up and you have a good player at this level, Raith seemed to ruin him....

Absolutely no reason why Spence won't do well at Steeny - provided he fits into the team formation.

Problem for him at Arbroath was that he never really fitted into the team's formation - his style of play was not always suitable to the team's set up.

It's unfortunate it never worked out at Arbroath, but he can get back on the goal scoring track if he can gel into the team's formation.

I wish him luck and hope he scores loads of goals for you.

17 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Kieran Anderson away to Bo'ness 

No great loss. I don't think he was given much of a chance under Colin McMenamin and then Davie Irons - there have been times I might have picked him ahead of a jaded Mark McGuigan - but then he never looked fit enough to compete in League 2 and also seemed to be a good few pounds overweight. He was apparently given a bespoke fitness programme but didn't stick with it. Kieran Anderson was a gamble worth taking after his success with Camelon Juniors but it didn't out; I hope he does Bo'ness a turn.

To be fair he was benched most of that time at alloa and Arbroath , get his confidence up and you have a good player at this level, Raith seemed to ruin him....

How have you came to that conclusion? At Raith he played in a front four with Bobby Barr, Lewis Vaughan and Liam Buchanan.
The service was definitely there.

58 minutes ago, RaithTheRover said:

How have you came to that conclusion? At Raith he played in a front four with Bobby Barr, Lewis Vaughan and Liam Buchanan.
The service was definitely there.

Quite simple really , when he re-signed for us he was never the same as before , don't take it personally old chap   🙂

5 hours ago, Lichtielegend said:

Bob Wilson will score more goals in the remainder of the season than Greig Spence.

you never saw the Spence that we saw  which rightly makes your viewpoint different, he scored some vital goals for us when he was on his game and will always be remembered to alloa fans .

Interesting signings at this time. Would think he will go to 3 at the back although he now has the option of playing Marsh as a defensive midfielder just in front of the centre halves.  Do not think Armsrtong is up to the task and will probably sit on the bench. Speculation about McGuigan at the moment and given his form so far this season would not be too upset if he left but he has been a great servant to the club but for some reason has been off the boil this year.  If stories are to be believed Anderson has been mouthing about leaving for a while - how true that is I am not sure but he has gone now.

2 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

Interesting signings at this time. Would think he will go to 3 at the back although he now has the option of playing Marsh as a defensive midfielder just in front of the centre halves.  Do not think Armsrtong is up to the task and will probably sit on the bench. Speculation about McGuigan at the moment and given his form so far this season would not be too upset if he left but he has been a great servant to the club but for some reason has been off the boil this year.  If stories are to be believed Anderson has been mouthing about leaving for a while - how true that is I am not sure but he has gone now.

I spoke to a member of Kieran Anderson's family before the first league game of the season. When they saw he was on the bench they were incredulous and said: "He won't be happy with that. He'll have a word with the manager if this keeps up". I can understand that Anderson wants to play every week but if he's not prepared to work for it, what's the point?

I agree with your comments about Mark McGuigan, he's had a subdued season, but I'd be really disappointed if he was to leave. I can't see it happening.

Glad to see the back of Anderson. Scoring 40 odd goals against the blind school every week doesn't mean you will walk into the team.

He wasn't prepared to work for it. Mclaughlin gave him a fitness plan and he never bothered with it. Good riddance.

East of Scotland/Lowland league is his level.

On 10/01/2020 at 18:23, Christophe said:

Kieran Anderson away to Bo'ness 

only seen him at Juniors/east of scotland with Brox and Camelon. boy can strike a ball and has always been the main man at these teams. Was always worried about his work rate, hopefully learn from it and get back to doing what he does best.

I spoke to a member of Kieran Anderson's family before the first league game of the season. When they saw he was on the bench they were incredulous and said: "He won't be happy with that. He'll have a word with the manager if this keeps up". I can understand that Anderson wants to play every week but if he's not prepared to work for it, what's the point?

Check your DM re this post [emoji108]

On 11/01/2020 at 11:33, Vimto90 said:

Glad to see the back of Anderson. Scoring 40 odd goals against the blind school every week doesn't mean you will walk into the team.

He wasn't prepared to work for it. Mclaughlin gave him a fitness plan and he never bothered with it. Good riddance.

East of Scotland/Lowland league is his level.

Stenny might see him again next year with the way their season is going :)