Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

1 hour ago, mo83 said:
9 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:
It's a position we've needed to strengthen in so I'm pleased another forward has joined the club. I hope he does well and scores the goals that will propel us to first place in the table.

How has Mark Mcguigan been for you lot this year?

Not as totemic as in previous years but I think that has a lot to do with the kind of football we've played. He's at his best when he's hanging on the last shoulder of the defender and running onto killer passes, but we haven't done that often enough. Although he's a big, strong guy, he's not too good at duelling for long punts forward, but not even Didier Drogba himself could do much with balls fired into his neck; some of our approach play has been rotten this year. That said, he always works hard for the team and he's a good focal point and under Davie Irons I expect us to make better use of Wullie Gibson and Thomas Halleran, which will benefit McGuigan and our other strikers going forward,

8 hours ago, Aguerooooo said:

Signed for 3k and on a very high weekly wage. Came from a committee member. Sadly always been a mercenary. Surprised If Gibson doesn’t follow suit.
Greedy men.

If someone's offering a 38-year-old striker who hasn't kicked a ball in 10 months an obscene wage, that's on them! Fair play to Colin for commanding such a high wage at this stage of his career.

All the best to him, I say!

How are people feeling after the first quarter?

After a poor start to the season, with alarming performances against Albion Rovers, Queen's Park, Edinburgh City and Cowdenbeath, we really looked like we were going to struggle. Colin McMenamin had brought in a troupe of decent-ish players but didn't seem to know his best XI or his best formation and was chopping and changing his system almost on a game-by-game basis. I'm not sure which game was the worst but changing the just-about-getting-by 3-5-2 formation to a hopeless 4-4-2 for the second half against Edinburgh City was a disaster.

The board made the right call to move McMenamin on last month. Davie Irons was an unexpected replacement, initially joining on a caretaker basis, and he ground out an important 1-0 win over Brechin City. Irons was appointed on a permanent basis and his last two matches included an encouraging draw with Stirling Albion and a thrilling victory over Cove Rangers. The first-half performance was the best I've seen from the Warriors since we thumped Falkirk in the Scottish Cup last year and we deserved to beat the best team in the league. Under Irons we look a lot more organised and purposeful and I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out.

Wullie Gibson has been a fine signing (and looks younger than his 35 years) and Thomas Halleran looks like a superstar in the making. I've got high hopes for him. I was impressed by the three teams sitting above us in the division and reckon they'll stay there for the time being (although I don't know if Cowden can maintain their tremendous start) but I hope we can pull away from the sides beneath us and challenge for the top four. We're still short of a left-back but we're looking alright - we were definitely lesser than the sum of our parts under McMenamin.

With Irons in charge and our current squad, I'd be surprised if we didn't finish in the promotion play offs.

I think Cove will win the league with a few games to spare and Edinburgh City will continue to be consistently decent and finish second. Cowden will likely revert to the mean and fall away from my predicted top 2 and they are catchable given the number of games left.

16 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Cowden will likely revert to the mean and fall away from my predicted top 2 and they are catchable given the number of games left.

I think you're doing us a bit of a disservice there.  We've the best defence in the league and barring injuries I don't see anything that will change that.

On 08/10/2019 at 18:46, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

With Irons in charge and our current squad, I'd be surprised if we didn't finish in the promotion play offs.

I think Cove will win the league with a few games to spare and Edinburgh City will continue to be consistently decent and finish second. Cowden will likely revert to the mean and fall away from my predicted top 2 and they are catchable given the number of games left.

What a load of s—-e

1 hour ago, beaver1 said:

Cove are easily the best team in this league. I think they will win the league too.

You are probably right, however what are you basing that on? I assume you’ve seen them once in a game you defeated them.
I’m not sure the deal with the loans of Smith and Glass but if they lose them in January that could be pivotal. I think they extended Fyvie’s deal to the end of the season which was huge for them. 

12 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Post non controversial post suggesting Cowdenbeath will not finish in the top 2.

Cowdenbeath thicko takes this as a personal slight and can't help but respond

As soon as I seen your post I could have predicted the poster to reply in the manner he did. So very precious but quite a few of them are tbh.

Everything you said was spot on. They should enjoy the good times while they last before we break their hearts in the play offs. Again.

3 minutes ago, Neilly said:

As soon as I seen your post I could have predicted the poster to reply in the manner he did. So very precious but quite a few of them are tbh.

Everything you said was spot on. They should enjoy the good times while they last before we break their hearts in the play offs. Again.

Nothing to stop Stenny beating Cove another 3x. As soon as I saw you had replied ......................................