Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

14 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Graeme Smith and Scott McLaughlin, my word!

Munro''s reaction on the goal line as the ball goes wide. SCENES.

7 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Can only echo what has been said. Confirmed what we know about the team in many ways. Very strong at the back - Buzz was superb. Shout out to Scott McLaughlin too. Shoving my words of concern about his signing firmly down my throat. 

Still look at the team and can't see much creativity thogugh, but we should be difficult to beat.

We might be struggling for bodies for Saturday - a few looked pretty ragged at the end.

Agreed. Once we take the pride out of the performance and supreme effort the whole team put in we are back to the reality of the league programme soon. The game last night and our forthcoming fixtures are basically two different sports. Defending for 90 minutes against superior opposition is one thing but when we are back to the league games having the onus of attacking is back on us and there are still question marks in that regard. I think people are getting a bit carried away in that because we ran Hearts close we are all of a sudden going to have a  great league campaign.

There is obvious cause for optimism but at the same time we have produced absolutely nothing against part time teams so far when it is more of an even playing field.

1 minute ago, Neilly said:

Agreed. Once we take the pride out of the performance and supreme effort the whole team put in we are back to the reality of the league programme soon. The game last night and our forthcoming fixtures are basically two different sports. Defending for 90 minutes against superior opposition is one thing but when we are back to the league games having the onus of attacking is back on us and there are still question marks in that regard. I think people are getting a bit carried away in that because we ran Hearts close we are all of a sudden going to have a  great league campaign.

There is obvious cause for optimism but at the same time we have produced absolutely nothing against part time teams so far when it is more of an even playing field.

I said the same thing last night. This is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to playing Cowdenbeath at the weekend because we'll have to take the game to them, as we'll be expected to do most weeks. It'll give us a good barometer as to how well we'll do in the upcoming season. I'm a little worried about the lack of creativity in the team but I reckon with players like Thomas Halleran (who I have high hopes for) and David Hopkirk playing in a more advanced role, there should be enough in there to unlock League 2 defences.

As we all know Andy Munro has been absolutely outstanding since he joined us, which got me wondering. I knew his name before he joined, but only that. He obviously wasn't pulling up trees at Forfar or Arbroath, so what has changed??

lets enjoy the good times when the come.we can go back to doom and gloom soon enough
What you on about. Both points are valid. Rest on our laurels and we will get no where. Last night was a great effort and scenes for the goal but it's hardly "good times" we still got beat.

As FF said looking forward to Saturday to see how we fair v Cowden.

Also this is a minor point but one that really irks me.

Players & our manager (him especially) posting publicly on twitter usually about their "big" teams. I get majority of them are going to be OF fans but to publicly post about them winning or players scoring when you are playing/managing a team in the same league set up is just not right for me.

This was prompted by mcmenamins Leigh Griff post earlier today. Also at the end of the season he was posting pictures and statuses about the treble treble but 2 weeks prior we had just been relegated.

People forget stenny mean the same to us as celtic/rangers mean to them and I am sure they wouldn't appreciate their manager/players publicly going on about the team they support.

I reckon there should be a social media policy tbh.

30 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Also this is a minor point but one that really irks me.

Players & our manager (him especially) posting publicly on twitter usually about their "big" teams. I get majority of them are going to be OF fans but to publicly post about them winning or players scoring when you are playing/managing a team in the same league set up is just not right for me.

This was prompted by mcmenamins Leigh Griff post earlier today. Also at the end of the season he was posting pictures and statuses about the treble treble but 2 weeks prior we had just been relegated.

People forget stenny mean the same to us as celtic/rangers mean to them and I am sure they wouldn't appreciate their manager/players publicly going on about the team they support.

I reckon there should be a social media policy tbh.

Let them support who they support. I don't see why it's an issue if they tweet about supporting another team. At the end of the day, they have a life outside the club and if that involves supporting the team they support, so be it. 

Let them support who they support. I don't see why it's an issue if they tweet about supporting another team. At the end of the day, they have a life outside the club and if that involves supporting the team they support, so be it. 
It's a lack of professionalism. And your attitude is exactly the "wee" team mindset.

The day after a defeat the manager should not be on twitter messaging about Celtic winning and griff scoring. That's the bottom line and if you can't see that then you never will.

I hear what you're saying but the way the manager and the players use social media doesn't seem to bother me. I did find it strange Colin McMenamin would write a tweet to congratulate Leigh Griffiths while failing to acknowledge his side's performance against Heart of Midlothian, but it wasn't anything I found vexing. I think, by and large, our players are well behaved on Twitter - they interact with fans, they talk about the teams they support away from Stenhousemuir - but it never seems to cross a line.  None of the players I follow are really all that active anyway.

I do remember Falkirk supporters getting annoyed with Fraser Aird and his #WATP schtick on social media when his team were struggling and I can fully understand their displeasure, but no-one in our team tends to do that.

It sounds a bit trite but as long as the team performs well on the park, a tweet about Celtic's treble treble is pretty inconsequential.

As we all know Andy Munro has been absolutely outstanding since he joined us, which got me wondering. I knew his name before he joined, but only that. He obviously wasn't pulling up trees at Forfar or Arbroath, so what has changed??
I think most Forfar fans would have kept him but he was 3rd choice centre back and we were playing a back 4 so he was needing first team football.

He'll head things away all day but I thought he struggled against pace and trickery in general and was pretty hopeless with the ball.

As immense as he was last night I think lower league one, upper league two is his level and I hope he does well for Stenny

I hear what you're saying but the way the manager and the players use social media doesn't seem to bother me. I did find it strange Colin McMenamin would write a tweet to congratulate Leigh Griffiths while failing to acknowledge his side's performance against Heart of Midlothian, but it wasn't anything I found vexing. I think, by and large, our players are well behaved on Twitter - they interact with fans, they talk about the teams they support away from Stenhousemuir - but it never seems to cross a line.  None of the players I follow are really all that active anyway.
I do remember Falkirk supporters getting annoyed with Fraser Aird and his #WATP schtick on social media when his team were struggling and I can fully understand their displeasure, but no-one in our team tends to do that.
It sounds a bit trite but as long as the team performs well on the park, a tweet about Celtic's treble treble is pretty inconsequential.
As I said I get it's a minor point but it just rubs me up the wrong way. You hit nail on head, tweeting about griffiths but not a mention of his own teams brave performance is just bizarre.

Regardless if it annoys me more than others is actually irrelevant thou. There is no getting away that it's unprofessional. Bomber for example would never have been vocal on social media about the team he supports.

I just think especially as manager it's just good practice to stay away from stuff like that. If he does awesome for us and for example got say the dundee job it wouldn't be accepted and I'm sure he would be advised against it. Just cause we are wee stenhousemuir I don't see why it should be different.

All forgiven if We win the league though ;)

Given the likes of Kyle Wilkie and Tony Wallace have somehow been made to look useful in the seaside leagues, there's a decent chance that Jonatan Johansson's love child will manage the same trick. Should certainly be capable of getting around the park and supporting the attack from central midfield, but was simply not good enough for Championship level. 

42 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Lovely stuff, this sounds like the missing piece of our jigsaw.

I look forward to seeing him popping a brace past Cowdenbeath tomorrow.

Was looking forward to this game, always liked going to Stenny. Then I remembered the last time I was there I was in the middle of the crèche. Is this still “operational “ ?

14 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Was looking forward to this game, always liked going to Stenny. Then I remembered the last time I was there I was in the middle of the crèche. Is this still “operational “ ?

Aye its a hard one you have the bairns just below the press guys and then a bunch of drunk w**k bags at the back from the hospitality just seem to keep finding reasons not to go to this dead rubber tbh.

59 minutes ago, virginton said:

Given the likes of Kyle Wilkie and Tony Wallace have somehow been made to look useful in the seaside leagues, there's a decent chance that Jonatan Johansson's love child will manage the same trick. Should certainly be capable of getting around the park and supporting the attack from central midfield, but was simply not good enough for Championship level. 

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Legs is something we don't necessarily have at the moment (albeit players like Jamie McKernon and Thomas Halleran are willing runners) so Dylan Dykes might give us something different. Conor McBrearty was an effective player for us last season and his defining characteristic was "big energy".