Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

As Beaver says Albion Rovers were abysmal.  We created a lot of chances in the first half and failed to take them, second half as soon as we scored the game was over. Midfield we looked quite good, Smith in goals did a lot of shouting which was good to hear. First time seeing the new defence and time will tell but looks okay at the moment but as stated AR were terrible and really never threatened so hard to judge.

Highlights - the standard of our defending is abysmal.  Have yet to see how Tena and Neill are better than the centre backs we released.  In the past few games they have been badly out of position and failed to get in front of their attackers.  Can only improve or we are in the mire.

I liked Morgyn at Stranraer last year and would have liked to have seen him stay. When he is switched on and fully focused, I think he could still play full time. When Stranraer beat Raith last year he was superb. He was dominant in the air and read everything. I get that players are playing in League One because they are not consistently reaching that level but if Morgyn would produce close to that he would be playing at a higher level than just now. As I say, I liked him as a defender and he managed to cut out the errors last year. Best of luck to him at Stenny.

Raphael Varane would struggle next to Tena in fairness to Neill.  As a partnership it's early doors but at this moment it's not a patch on the Dunlops.

We finished 4th in a poor league last season and are now pretty much weaker in most positions than last season. I'd take 9th right now. Still plenty of time to pull a few rabbits out of the hat but they are going to have to be Patonesque rabbits.

1 hour ago, Hard Graft said:

Highlights - the standard of our defending is abysmal.  Have yet to see how Tena and Neill are better than the centre backs we released.  In the past few games they have been badly out of position and failed to get in front of their attackers.  Can only improve or we are in the mire.

Goals we lost were awful but I am not sure that the centre backs were released last season.

Neill looks decent enough. Not sure about Jesus, but he has played at a decent standard. Certainly don't think he was Bomber's first choice.

He acknowledges that we need 2 or 3 players, and he has managed to assemble decent squads on a tight budget the last couple of seasons, so I am sure that he will be able to get a couple of decent players in to make us competitive.

59 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I've just looked up the Lowland League top scorer from last season. Joint winners were Ross McNeil and Paul Sludden. I rest my case

Ross McNeil was actually pretty decent, good wee impact player who scored some handy goals.

Paul Sludden, however, was just rubbish. Miles off it.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas
A spelling error.

Great wee feature on FB with the update from the dressing room but squad looks really light already with no Fez, Ross, Paterson and Cook - hopefully a reasonable crowd with the club doing their utmost to get more supporters in for a Saturday and let’s hope for a great atmosphere and a winning start. COYW[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Delighted to see a 'Chairman's Update' that gives a lot more info than we'd previously have. Main points are...

1. The finances are in good shape and there has been a modest increase in wage budget from last season to this.

2. The manager is looking to make 2 more signings

3. If we hit financial targets there will be more money available for additional players later in the season

4. Free wifi at the ground for fans.

Really appreciate that depth of update. Long may it continue!