Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Guest TOPFITTER

Giving what I'd seen on social media expected a game of hoofball from Stenny, however what I witnessed was a young looking side trying to play some passing football and reverting to the long ball when under pressure. Room for optimism is my view. Gibson showed a bit of class, not afraid to put his foot on the ball and looking for an attacking forward ball if possible. Decent wee Warriors contingent at Galabank who seemed pleasantly surprised at their team. If it was boxing Stenny would have won on points, however it's football and an away point is always a success.

Giving what I'd seen on social media expected a game of hoofball from Stenny, however what I witnessed was a young looking side trying to play some passing football and reverting to the long ball when under pressure. Room for optimism is my view. Gibson showed a bit of class, not afraid to put his foot on the ball and looking for an attacking forward ball if possible. Decent wee Warriors contingent at Galabank who seemed pleasantly surprised at their team. If it was boxing Stenny would have won on points, however it's football and an away point is always a success.

Not sure about the young bit, but otherwise fair comments I think. Annan had a period of sustained pressure after they scored and hit the woodwork either side of half time. Thereafter I think we were the better team and Munro and Hopkirk both hit the frame of the goal, while McGuigan had an almighty miss.
Big improvement on the previous week, but it does feel like pretty much every season where we just don’t do enough to win games and end up drawing too many to make any sort of sustained challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought at times we were excellent yesterday played some really nice football in spells. For me Jamie Todd was my MOTM he was immense and the tackle he made on the far side I felt it in the stand.  Kevin in goals a real character nearly blotted his copy book with a pass back first half but made up for it with  a fantastic relax save near the end too a really sore one from David Marsh's elbow to. Chris Hamilton has really impressed me not the biggest CB but great positional awareness and when tasked with marking McGuigan did a fantastic job. Midfield were excellent Archie Thomas an intelligent player and young Connor Smith is an outstanding talent combining well with Cox & Renton who  as usual worked their socks off and delighted to see Coxy get his goal and the reception he received from fans as he walked round after being subbed was nice to see.

In reaction to Stenny there seems to be a lot gloom & doom from their fans which I'm not sure is fully merited. I thought Halleran played really well and always looked a threat when on the ball. McGuigan is a handful and can be a real threat yesterday however Todd & Hamilton did a great job keeping him quiet. It is worth bearing in mind if Kevin hadn't pulled off a wonder save with about 20 to go it goes 2 :1 and then a different game Stenny had chances but Cowden players were throwing themselves in to block there was a period I recall in the first half about 5 successive blocks. If I was to be critical they didn't vary their play just seemed to go back to front which becomes predictable and gives away a lot of possession, overall I think they will sort things out.

A nice enjoyable Saturday for me watching an entertaining performance keep it Cowden & lets see where it takes us.