Francesc Fabregas

Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2019/20 Thread

11 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

This is good news, The last player we signed from Queen's Park (Vincent Berry) was a wee superstar so I'm looking forward to more of the same!

McKernon also had his own injury issues towards the end of last season. Fully fit and playing in his strongest position he should do a decent job for you. Although I obviously hope he's pish on at least four occasions 

Edited by Mick1867

12 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I don't doubt we've increased our budget (attempting to sign Shane Sutherland on loan from Peterhead, for example) but I reckon the management team just hasn't been able to land a single target and have had to turn to players like Jamie McKernon and Scott McLaughlin instead. It's so disappointing when you're talking to guys like Robert Thomson but have to sign up jobbers from the Lowland League instead.

nobody has in league 2

I see you’ve signed David Hopkirk, after his spell at Clyde you’d be as well with Marty Hopkirk.

happy with hopkirk signed. should be playing higher than this but let it all go to his head as a youngster. if we get 75% of hs ability he'll have defenders in his back pocket

I was really pleased when we signed Hopkirk but for whatever reason we never ever seen him. Heard something along the lines of he had bad mental health but wouldn't let the club help him. 

If his head is screwed on he will be a good signing for this level. 

1 hour ago, Moonglum25 said:

Why do you think this is?  Do you think that the Swann affair may be having an impact?  The money on offer from some non-league clubs must be having an impact as well.

I don't think the Harvey Swann debacle will put any potential additions off (as embarrassing as it was). We're being ambitious with the players we're talking to, which is good, but in the case of Robert Thomson, why would you want to drop down into League 2 when you could be playing for the best part-time side in the country? In the case of Bobby Barr, meanwhile, there was no way we could match what East Stirlingshire were offering him. We seem to be in this weird limbo where we apparently have a bigger budget but not too big a budget.

There are still a lot of hold-outs kicking around but loads of teams, ones higher up the food chain, will be looking at them as well.

As for David Hopkirk, if we have indeed signed him, I'd treat it with caution. He seems to fall out with management wherever he goes and his spell at Clyde last season ended after a couple of months, with stories about personal problems swirling around. However! If he's managed to put them behind him (and we're able to give him the support he needs) and he accepts he's a lower-league jobber then he could be a very handy addition to the team. Big "if", right enough.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

58 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

As for David Hopkirk, if we have indeed signed him, I'd treat it with caution. He seems to fall out with management wherever he goes and his spell at Clyde last season ended after a couple of months, with stories about personal problems swirling around. However! If he's managed to put them behind him (and we're able to give him the support he needs) and he accepts he's a lower-league jobber then he could be a very handy addition to the team. Big "if", right enough.

if the "big if" pays off, mr goals and him could be the greatest pairing since Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones 😁

He turned up signed his contract posed for a photo for the website/social media channels then went off home and that was the last anyone saw of hopkirk. He had bad mental health issues and would not accept any help from the club so we had no choice but to cancel his contract. 

Where was he playing last season? 
Signed for Clyde then went awol. Never actually played a single game for us.

If we get the Hoppy of Annan then no doubts he is a very good player at this level. Seemed to be preferred out wide at Dunfermline but going by that article he will be paired with McGuigan.

I'm hopeful he's got past his issues and have a good season with us.

If we get the Hoppy of Annan then no doubts he is a very good player at this level.

If you can get the ‘Hoppy of Annan’ then a good argument could be made that Stenny have the best 2 Strikers in the league this season.

5 hours ago, Neilly said:

If we get the Hoppy of Annan then no doubts he is a very good player at this level. Seemed to be preferred out wide at Dunfermline but going by that article he will be paired with McGuigan.

I'm hopeful he's got past his issues and have a good season with us.

Played him out wide and through the middle, good player. If his heads screwed out he'll be fantastic. 

Spoke with David Hopkirk earlier today. Interview is below

19 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

If you can get the ‘Hoppy of Annan’ then a good argument could be made that Stenny have the best 2 Strikers in the league this season.

We've already got the best player in the division in Mark McGuigan so "unlocking" the David Hopkirk of old would be quite a thing indeed!

Also spoke to Marky Munro earlier

These Interviews either need to be better or stopped. You do good work with highlights etc but these are cringey.

Looking forward to seeing some new faces on Tuesday. Hopefully some trialists on show