Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

I'm looking forward to seeing how Bob Wilson gets on. He must have something about him if Dick Campbell brought him to Arbroath in the summer (albeit he was never going to get ahead of Tam O'Brien or Ricky Little). We've needed cover at centre-back with David Marsh injured and Jordan Armstrong not really up to it, so on paper it's a good move. I do worry about signing someone who played in one of the worst teams in the history of the SPFL, right enough.

We still badly need a left-back, unless, of course, we're planning on operating in a 3-5-2 with Alan Cook at wing-back (and Armstrong still in the starting XI).

Nevertheless: I'm pumped for tomorrow!

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

12 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how Bob Wilson gets on. He must have something about him if Dick Campbell brought him to Arbroath in the summer (albeit he was never going to get ahead of Tam O'Brien or Ricky Little). We've needed cover at centre-back with David Marsh injured and Jordan Armstrong not really up to it, so on paper it's a good move. I do worry about signing someone from one of the worst teams in the history of the SPFL, right enough.

We still badly need a left-back, unless, of course, we're planning on operating in a 3-5-2 with Alan Cook at wing-back.

Nevertheless: I'm pumped for tomorrow!

badly need a left back

Robert Wilson was, out of all the deadwood at Berwick last season, the closest to being decent enough to be in this League. Yes, he too was suspect at best sometimes, but our team (and Johnny Harvey) was godawful and did him no favours. Thus, I've no doubt he will be of use to you guys; if anything, he has plenty of experience with the predicament you are in.

22 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Can Wilson play for Stenny this season? Played the first league game of the season for Arbroath against Queen of the South before going out on loan.  @Skyline Drifter will be the man to know...

22 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It would be quite hilarious if we've brought him in and he's unable to play. I'm sure that won't be the case.

Clubs below SPFL level don't count in the "two clubs a season" rule. His appearances for Musselbrough are irrelevant.

Greig Spence is an intriguing prospect. He hasn't scored a league goal in almost two years (!) but he's obviously got something about him and I hope he'll add a different dimension to our stuttering attack. He's still living off the reputation he forged at Alloa Athletic and Raith Rovers but I hope this move reinvigorates his career.

12 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Greig Spence is an intriguing prospect. He hasn't scored a league goal in almost two years (!) but he's obviously got something about him and I hope he'll add a different dimension to our stuttering attack. He's still living off the reputation he forged at Alloa Athletic and Raith Rovers but I hope this move reinvigorates his career.

Monday will be exactly two years - that's crazy!

1 minute ago, Burnsythebinman said:

Spence should be decent back at this level

I hope so too but I have my suspicions - two years is a wild period for a striker to go without netting in the league and I think it'll take more than dropping into League 2 for him to get his mojo back. I hope he's a massive success and can help move the team away from the bottom of the table but I'm feeling quite cautious about it.