Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Moved to London for work. I believe he also got a club down there Dulwich Hamlet springs to mind but I may have made that up.

Very good player who I reckon would have been playing in the Championship this season if he was still based here.

6 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

C'mon Stenny, get the finger out. I took you to win the league in my pubs predictor!

What happened to Ruaridh Donaldson, liked what I saw of him last season?

Donaldson took up a job in The City and is currently turning out for Hampton & Richmond FC in the National League South

Edited by Christophe

Davie Irons will be an interesting appointment. He's probably not the most exciting prospect but he did us a good turn in his first 18-month spell in charge of the club - the survival of the 2010/11 season was exceptional and some of the football we played in 2011/12 was excellent. Looking back, we should have finished in the Championship play-offs that year. He also seems to have a strong affinity with Stenhousemuir, something you don't often see at this level.

I do worry that he'll have to unexpectedly pack it in again due to his work commitments but I hope that isn't the case.

The recruitment over the summer was poor and we don't have a great group of players to work with at the moment but if he can get the best out of Wullie Gibson, Thomas Halleran and Mark McGuigan, we should have enough to move away from the bottom of the table and compete with the top four. I hope.

Delighted for Kevin McGoldrick that he is back at Stenny.

He worked in Trend in Denny for a while and he was always good for some football chat. I got to know him pretty well during this time and I got the impression that when I was in, he always seeked me out for a chat as it got him away from the usual Rangers/Celtic/English Premiership stuff and it got him talking more about the Scottish lower leagues, the level he enjoyed.

Always spoke fondly of his time at Stenny and some of the players he worked with, quite a lot of them played for Stirling as Martyn Corrigan brought them in, he kept referring to the likes of Chris Smith, Ross McMillian, Sean Dickson as “my lads”, and mentioned more than once that it was a club that he was desperate to return to, he just never had the opportunity to.

Not sure if he reads P&B but if he does, then I hope all goes well for you Kev.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Davie Irons will be an interesting appointment. He's probably not the most exciting prospect but he did us a good turn in his first 18-month spell in charge of the club - the survival of the 2010/11 season was exceptional and some of the football we played in 2011/12 was excellent. Looking back, we should have finished in the Championship play-offs that year. He also seems to have a strong affinity with Stenhousemuir, something you don't often see at this level.

I do worry that he'll have to unexpectedly pack it in again due to his work commitments but I hope that isn't the case.

The recruitment over the summer was poor and we don't have a great group of players to work with at the moment but if he can get the best out of Wullie Gibson, Thomas Halleran and Mark McGuigan, we should have enough to move away from the bottom of the table and compete with the top four. I hope.

He works as a community police officer Monday-Friday so work commitments shouldn’t get in the way. 

The thing I liked about Irons during his first time at the club was he understood the types of players needed to be successful. His recruitment was excellent in his first spell so hopefully it will be this time around as our recruitment has been poor for a couple of seasons now.

52 minutes ago, Gunz said:

He works as a community police officer Monday-Friday so work commitments shouldn’t get in the way. 

The thing I liked about Irons during his first time at the club was he understood the types of players needed to be successful. His recruitment was excellent in his first spell so hopefully it will be this time around as our recruitment has been poor for a couple of seasons now.

You're bang on, his recruitment was excellent. The difference between the players John Coughlin signed in the summer of 2010 to the boys Irons brought in the following year were miles ahead. Irons signed in Ross McMillan, Martyn Corrigan, Brown Ferguson, Andy Rodgers and Stewart Kean and the following summer brought in Scot Buist, John Gemmell and Bryan Hodge (albeit he didn't get the chance to work with them for very long). There were a few duds, as you'd expect from any manager, but the hits were bigger than the misses.

The only blemish was the 10-week run of bad form between December and March of 2011/12 - as mentioned earlier, that team should have been good enough to finish in the top four, especially with all the investment that went into the team over the final third of the season (Kenny Deuchar, Nicky Devlin, Michael Devlin, Grant Anderson and Kieran Millar coming in on loan) - but other than that, Irons' first spell was broadly positive.

Look at the calibre of those loan signings we got compared to what we have this season. Frightening.

He did recruit well in his time here but let's be honest those boys wouldn't have been on buttons. The team under achieved to not make the play offs in his season (and subsequent season) for sure but the football under Irons was enjoyable for the most part.

Different ball game now being in the bottom league and with a far smaller budget it will be a test of his recruitment to bring in the necessary quality in the coming months although frankly it couldn't possibly be worse than what we have done in the summer.

Edited by Neilly

I was looking at the players Irons brought in over his first few months at the club. The two big successes were Eric Paton - still my all-time favourite Stenhousemuir player - and Michael Devlin on loan from Hamilton Academical, with both players having a massive impact in our survival. His other signings - Lewis "The Ghost" Sloan and Brian Gilmour (who ended up costing us a small fine after he botched his registration) - weren't great. He did manage to make a poor group of players better greater than the sum of their parts with good organisation and structure and I reckon we'll see the fruits of this in a couple of weeks.

We can definitely get the better of Stirling Albion at the weekend but Cove Rangers will probably tank us.

49 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I was looking at the players Irons brought in over his first few months at the club. The two big successes were Eric Paton - still my all-time favourite Stenhousemuir player - and Michael Devlin on loan from Hamilton Academical, with both players having a massive impact in our survival. His other signings - Lewis "The Ghost" Sloan and Brian Gilmour (who ended up costing us a small fine after he botched his registration) - weren't great. He did manage to make a poor group of players better greater than the sum of their parts with good organisation and structure and I reckon we'll see the fruits of this in a couple of weeks.

We can definitely get the better of Stirling Albion at the weekend but Cove Rangers will probably tank us.

Re Cove,  if you want to scare yourself, consider how we toiled to victory against Brechin and then watch the highlights of the Brechin/Cove game the previous weekend. 

1 hour ago, beaver1 said:

Re Cove,  if you want to scare yourself, consider how we toiled to victory against Brechin and then watch the highlights of the Brechin/Cove game the previous weekend. 

To be fair, I'll be pitching up next weekend expecting to get thumped. Cove Rangers are miles ahead of us - they have one of the best part-time managers in the country, a settled squad who have enjoyed success for the last few seasons, and a good bit of money behind them - so getting a point from them would be an unexpected delight.

It's a position we've needed to strengthen in so I'm pleased another forward has joined the club. I hope he does well and scores the goals that will propel us to first place in the table.
How has Mark Mcguigan been for you lot this year?