Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

the obvious highlight of the encounter was when Harvest Swan was announced on to the pitch as a sub. as it had been widely predicted on here that this was going to add an extra dollop of spice to the game, this moment didn't disappoint. there was a deafening roar of silence when he came jogging on. rival fans looked as interested as swan does in playing for gary bolan

17 hours ago, Neilly said:

Pretty much how I see it as well. The squad is not good enough for a title challenge. An injury to McGuigan or Munro/Marsh and we will be in bother.

We have a team of grafters though and that goes a long way at this level. It won't be for the want of trying but as you say we are lacking a bit of real quality from midfield we look over reliant on Cook as the supply line.

I don't think we are going to have to be anything spectacular to finish top four though. Cowdenbeath, Brechin, Stirling and the like are absolute gangs for starters who we will finish above.

I've said it elsewhere on this thread but I reckon we'll be in a strong position in January to reinforce the squad with the calibre of player who can win you the title. We've been told a couple of times there is money is available to bring in the right player(s) and I can see us signing up some relatively big names to push the team on.

Right now, however, I agree with everyone else: this side probably isn't good enough to win League 2 but should be on course for a top-four finish. Outside of Edinburgh City (who have retained their better players from last season) and maybe Cove Rangers (an unknown quantity with a very good manager for part-time level), there's not a lot of quality here.

Tiwi off out on season-long loan to Camelon. Thought we might have seen him get some game time in L2 but I suppose if he’s not in the manager’s plans yet then it’s good for his development. I’m sure he’ll do well in the EoS

I think he was right down the pecking order up front and out wide so it makes sense for him to move to Camelon Juniors for the year. I'm sure he'll do well there - he's been successful everywhere he's played and that will benefit us in our League 1 title assault next season.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Tomorrow we play Edinburgh City in the Challenge Cup - I'd be tempted to muck about with the team and maybe bring in a couple of players (Kieran Anderson, Thomas Halleran) who haven't featured much yet this season to see how they get on. Why not!

We will probably have to make at least 2 changes as Mark Munro is ineligible and I can't see McIlduff being fit.

I would agree about giving Anderson and Halleran a game.

2 minutes ago, Ancient Warrior said:

We will probably have to make at least 2 changes as Mark Munro is ineligible and I can't see McIlduff being fit.

I would agree about giving Anderson and Halleran a game.

In that case, let's just go out there and enjoy ourselves:

- Kieran Anderson - Ryan Watters -

- Alan Cook - Thomas Halleran - Jamie McKernon - Brandon Luke -

- Scott McLaughlin - Andy Munro - David Marsh - Chris O'Neil -

- Graeme Smith -

That was alright last night, particularly give the slop we were served up at Hampden at the weekend. I think Edinburgh City were the better side on the balance of play and the chances created but there were a number of positives we can take away from the match.

We made numerous changes from the side that got a point against Queen's Park, changing to a 3-5-2 formation and fielding a number of players who hadn't featured much (Kyle Marley, Chris O'Neil, Kieron Gibbons, Thomas Halleran, Ryan Watters, Kieron Anderson). There were some nice moments of play, with Halleran slipping a lovely pass in for Watters in the opening minutes, and the match was entertaining with both sides having decent spell. Edinburgh should have scored - they looked very dangerous from set-pieces - before Stenny took the lead, with Watters closing down Ryan Adamson in the goal and nipping the ball from his toes, shooting into an empty net.

Edinburgh looked a lot better when Blair Henderson came on midway through the second half and his awkward presence up front caused us problems. They looked a lot slicker and the big striker headed home from close range to finish a nice move. I expected them to push on for the winner but Watters got his second of the match, latching onto Gibbons' long ball and steering a good finish beyond the goalkeeper.

On the whole, there's a lot to be satisfied with. We suited the 3-5-2 and it offered us the protection our defence had been lacking. Halleran made some nice touches while Gibbons, although sometimes a bit ponderous on the ball, had the best moment of the match when he slalomed by two defenders and hooked a cross in for Anderson. Anderson drifted in and out of the match but looked good when he was on the ball - he's got a nice touch and he doesn't get shoved around easily. Watters worked hard, and his endeavour forced the first goal, but he didn't do a lot other than his brace, as strange as that sounds.

I don't think Graeme Smith will ever worry about his position under threat - Marley was glued to his line half the time and Edinburgh really should have taken advantage from one of their set-pieces - but other than that, everyone should be content with their evening's work.

It is good to get some decent news - to date it has been a little bit doom and gloom.  A big bit actually. Would happily swap that win last night for three points in the upcoming league game though. 

No Brandon Luke. Injured?

1 hour ago, beaver1 said:

It is good to get some decent news - to date it has been a little bit doom and gloom.  A big bit actually. Would happily swap that win last night for three points in the upcoming league game though. 

No Brandon Luke. Injured?

I think Brandon Luke is on holiday, can't really moan about that when the manager set the precedent himself during the league cup stuff 

I was gobsmacked to witness a side win a game featuring the absolute imposter that is Scott McLaughlin. I thought Stenny's best player was No. 4. Wasn't afraid to get stuck in.

Nice family feel about the place and I thought it was good the stewards let the kids stand at the tunnel for high fives. I imagine some clubs would be precious about such a thing! The stand is actually bigger than I've always thought as well [emoji38]

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

I was gobsmacked to witness a side win a game featuring the absolute imposter that is Scott McLaughlin. I thought Stenny's best player was No. 4. Wasn't afraid to get stuck in.

Nice family feel about the place and I thought it was good the stewards let the kids stand at the tunnel for high fives. I imagine some clubs would be precious about such a thing! The stand is actually bigger than I've always thought as well emoji38.png

I wasn't sure about bringing in Scott McLaughlin but he's been absolutely fine so far and has impressed me. We've used him at full-back or in the middle of the defence and he's looked pretty assured (his penalty concession against Albion Rovers aside).