Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Was looking forward to this game, always liked going to Stenny. Then I remembered the last time I was there I was in the middle of the crèche. Is this still “operational “ ?
Don't think it is as big as it was 5 or so years ago but there are still some younger fans attending the game through the Community programme at the club.

Should be plenty of seats so it's simple enough just to move

3 hours ago, CEMSFC said:

Don't think it is as big as it was 5 or so years ago but there are still some younger fans attending the game through the Community programme at the club.

Should be plenty of seats so it's simple enough just to move

That’s fine, thanks. Last time there weren’t plenty of seats. It was a nightmare.

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Aye its a hard one you have the bairns just below the press guys and then a bunch of drunk w**k bags at the back from the hospitality just seem to keep finding reasons not to go to this dead rubber tbh.

Thought with nothing at stake that it might be a decent game. Then again, it might not be a full strength team. Think I’ll leave it.

4 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Thought with nothing at stake that it might be a decent game. Then again, it might not be a full strength team. Think I’ll leave it.

We only really have the one team not much players to change it too much. Duppose it will be interesting facing a side from our own league.

Edited by cowdenbeath

That was enjoyable today. It wasn't a classic match but an entertaining one all the same. Cowdenbeath were very good in the opening 10 minutes and could have taken the lead when Jordan Allan hit the bar in the second minute. Both Allan and David Cox were getting the better of our defenders and looked tricky whenever they dribbled into dangerous areas. After the opening interval, however, Stenhousemuir settled into the game and were the better side from then on without ever threatening the opposition goal. Mark "Mr Goals" opened the scoring towards the end of the first half, taking Alan Cook's chipped pass and holding off Jamie Todd and firing into the net. The second goal came with five minutes of the match remaining when the unfortunate Todd diverted Cook's cross into his own net via his tummy.

Stenhousemuir were good without ever being great. Buzz Smith handled well and made a great save to deny Allan in Cowden's brief spell at the start of the match; the back four all looked assured; Marky Munro looks like a wee star in the making in the middle of the park while Dylan Dykes showed some nice touches and used the ball well; David Hopkirk looked a cut above; and big McGuigan took his goal very well and linked with his team-mates. The only player I wasn't too sure about was Brandon Luke - he drifted in and out of the match and missed a great chance to score when he switched off and missed Kevin Dubrowski dropping a cross right in front of him. We looked better when Liam Scullion came on in his place.

I wasn't too impressed with Cowden. Allan and Cox are two good forwards but other than that, there's not a lot going on. Todd was poor, Euan Valentine struggled at left-back and was rightly removed midway through the first half, and the midfield were easily passed around. It was good to see us playing against a side from our division and come out on top and it augurs well for the season ahead.

Happy enough with that...Aiden McIlduff continues to not look terribly composed at left back but he linked fairly well with the players further forward when we had the ball.  Felt Mark Munro (sorry I’m not having ‘Marky’ as an actual given name...come on!) was looking for far too much time on the ball in a busy midfield and let Cowdenbeath turn over possession a bit too often. And as said above, the game seemed to also pass Brandon Luke by, for the most part, but otherwise all else was positive. Scullion looked sharp and inventive again after coming on. Thought the new lad from Morton had a great game and can only assume he’ll get better once he gets to know the squad. I’d have like to have seen a bit more of Kieran Anderson pre-season but perhaps he’s not quite 90-minute fit yet so I’m sure we’ll see more of him in time.

Gutted I’ll miss the opener next week so roll on Hampden in a fortnight for my first look at the proper competitive stuff. I think we’ll be alright you know! 

Thought we did well enough yesterday after  a rocky start. Really impressed with Hopkirk. Him and McGuigan could be a strong partnership. 

Also pleasantly surprised by Dykes who I thought is just the type of player we need. Willing to take the ball from the centre halves and able to play a forward pass. Really promising debut.

And Scott Mclaughlin continues to confound me. Didn't put a foot wrong.

Overall we deserved the win and were well on top in the 2nd half. Cook deserves credit for the 2nd goal , nicking it from one of Cowden's ponderous defenders, before putting in a cross one of the aforementioned slouches couldn't deal with. Their backline looked like it was running through treacle all afternoon. 

Real stuff starts next week though. 

I disagree about title chances.

You need 70+ points for that and we not have the creativity in the middle of the park for that. We'll be solid enough and probably won't lose too many relatively speaking, but I foresee a lot of draws.

I'd say the defence and goalkeeper are of a very good League 2 level and I think McGuigan/Hopkirk will get 30+ goals between them. However, it's the midfield that is some way off title quality.

1 hour ago, CEMSFC said:

Highlights and Post Match Interviews

Apologies for missing the second goal, haven't a clue how that happened.

Interviews are with, scorer of the first goal, Mark McGuigan and assistant manager Stuart Balmer. 

Missed the two controversial bookings too, would have liked to see them again as maybe reds.

21 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I disagree about title chances.

You need 70+ points for that and we not have the creativity in the middle of the park for that. We'll be solid enough and probably won't lose too many relatively speaking, but I foresee a lot of draws.

I'd say the defence and goalkeeper are of a very good League 2 level and I think McGuigan/Hopkirk will get 30+ goals between them. However, it's the midfield that is some way off title quality.

Pretty much how I see it as well. The squad is not good enough for a title challenge. An injury to McGuigan or Munro/Marsh and we will be in bother.

We have a team of grafters though and that goes a long way at this level. It won't be for the want of trying but as you say we are lacking a bit of real quality from midfield we look over reliant on Cook as the supply line.

I don't think we are going to have to be anything spectacular to finish top four though. Cowdenbeath, Brechin, Stirling and the like are absolute gangs for starters who we will finish above.

Aye, surprised the incident at the start of the game between Buzz Smith and David Cox was left out of the highlights package. That was the best moment of the whole match.
Didn't feel I caught it too well tbh so just left it out. Think Cox barged into Buzz and then he reacted. Ended up with both on the floor