Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Was anyone at the match on Saturday? From the reports I've read - almost exclusively from East Fife fans - we took a bit of a battering and 2-0 reflects rather kindly on us.

I would hardly describe it as a battering. They had more of the ball and Smith made some decent saves but McGuigan hit the post from point blank range and we missed a sitter late on when Cook set up Watters (I think).

We started with Hopkirk,Anderson and McGuigan presumably to give them game time and I would expect that only 2 of them will start in the league.

Munro and Marsh were solid at the back and McIlduff got better the longer the game went on. O'Neil struggled a bit and had to go off with an injury with 10 minutes to go leaving us with 10 men as we had used our 3 subs.

The midfield battled away but were a bit outnumbered and at times they were guilty of trying to be too fancy when a simple ball would have sufficed.

The formation and team selection indicated to me that the manager was making sure that as many players as possible got some game time before the league starts.

That's the only time I have been at New Bayview or whatever it's called that I haven't felt like I was in the Arctic Circle

11 minutes ago, Ancient Warrior said:

I would hardly describe it as a battering. They had more of the ball and Smith made some decent saves but McGuigan hit the post from point blank range and we missed a sitter late on when Cook set up Watters (I think).

We started with Hopkirk,Anderson and McGuigan presumably to give them game time and I would expect that only 2 of them will start in the league.

Munro and Marsh were solid at the back and McIlduff got better the longer the game went on. O'Neil struggled a bit and had to go off with an injury with 10 minutes to go leaving us with 10 men as we had used our 3 subs.

The midfield battled away but were a bit outnumbered and at times they were guilty of trying to be too fancy when a simple ball would have sufficed.

The formation and team selection indicated to me that the manager was making sure that as many players as possible got some game time before the league starts.

That's the only time I have been at New Bayview or whatever it's called that I haven't felt like I was in the Arctic Circle

Must be the coldest ground in the country, even when the sun is shining!

Wouldn't mind Marsh back again, liked him.

we didn't play as well as midweek against Dundee united and that was disappointing. the midfield was poor so we struggled to stop their attack or go forward on the counter. not a battering but we didn't deserve to win it. backs looked comfortable but had a lot to deal with due to lack of midfield

Can this shite be removed please admin. I realise this is a busy and red hot thread but that doesn't make it an easy option for spamming. @keithgy Are you still a mod can you remove the above it is not SFC related. Cheers.

As for tonight I reckon we will be smashed between 6 and 10-0.  Looking forward to it all the same.

I was at the Hearts Stenny game tonight, thought you were very well organised and although you rode your luck at times that could've went to penalties.

That double save and double block in the second half was incredible.

Those are the kind of games where even in defeat you feel a lot of pride in your team. Hope those who made the trip had a good night

Very proud of the team.

As expected rode our luck at times but bar 1 or 2 incidents genuinely felt pretty comfy

Mclaughlin, Marsh, A Munro, Buzz Smith Fantastic. The goal was absolute scenes. Gutted to have ran out of steam but what an effort.

Concerned about Mcilduff, playing much better opposition than we will normally face but just not assured at all.

I was at the game tonight, thought yous defended fantastically and were really well organised with at most times 9 men behind the ball which is impressive considering how fast the play was, would be really proud of your teams performance tonight looking forward to coming up on Saturday hope it’s a great game

I'm very proud of Stenhousemuir FC's effort this evening. I was expecting to come back to FK5 with a leathering so to emerge with a narrow defeat, a good defensive performance and a world-class moment from Mark "Mr Goals" McGuigan, I'm satisfied. We rode our luck at times - Heart of Midlothian could have scored about four or five before Craig Halkett's late intervention - but who cares!

Graeme Smith was the man of the match tonight. Some of his goalkeeping was out of this world, especially his double block at the beginning of the second half. His handling was sound and he knew exactly when to come off his line (his block with his legs to stop Conor Washington from scoring midway through the first half was tremendous). He was abetted by Andy Munro and David Marsh, two meat-and-potatoes centre-backs who threw themselves in front of everything. Munro in particular was excellent and the way he defended his goal-line and organise the back four and the players in front of him was great to watch. Scott McLaughlin too deserves a lot of credit for the way he handled himself at right-back - I've been impressed with him so far. McGuigan did a lot of thankless running as the lone attacker and it was great to his endeavour rewarded with a goal.

His strike - cutting across his marker to toe home Alan Cook's pinpoint centre - was a sensational moment. Yeah, it might have come in a low-stakes game against an indifferent Hearts outfit, but it'll live long in the memory. The way he celebrated with his team-mates in front of the away fans in the Roseburn Stand was incredible.

Halkett's equalising goal was disappointing given how well we had defended the penalty box previously but I think we just ran out of puff and lost concentration at the vital moment. His second came when he headed home a great Jake Mulraney cross. I thought we would have been a decent shout for penalties - and I was positive with Smith in goal we would get the bonus point - but it wasn't to be.

The upcoming match against Cowdenbeath is the one I've been most looking forward to in the Betfred Cup because it'll give us a perfect barometer as to how our season will pan out. I've seen us against St Mirren, Dundee United and now Hearts and we've done well against sides we've not been expected to win against by sitting back and soaking up pressure. How will we fare against one of League 2's more unremarkable teams (no disrespect, of course)? Can we take the game to them? I can't wait to find out!

I'm very proud of Stenhousemuir FC's effort this evening. I was expecting to come back to FK5 with a leathering so to emerge with a narrow defeat, a good defensive performance and a world-class moment from Mark "Mr Goals" McGuigan, I'm satisfied. We rode our luck at times - Heart of Midlothian could have scored about four or five before Craig Halkett's late intervention - but who cares!
Graeme Smith was the man of the match tonight. Some of his goalkeeping was out of this world, especially his double block at the beginning of the second half. His handling was sound and he knew exactly when to come off his line (his block with his legs to stop Conor Washington from scoring midway through the first half was tremendous). He was abetted by Andy Munro and David Marsh, two meat-and-potatoes centre-backs who threw themselves in front of everything. Munro in particular was excellent and the way he defended his goal-line and organise the back four and the players in front of him was great to watch. Scott McLaughlin too deserves a lot of credit for the way he handled himself at right-back - I've been impressed with him so far. McGuigan did a lot of thankless running as the lone attacker and it was great to his endeavour rewarded with a goal.
His strike - cutting across his marker to toe home Alan Cook's pinpoint centre - was a sensational moment. Yeah, it might have come in a low-stakes game against an indifferent Hearts outfit, but it'll live long in the memory. The way he celebrated with his team-mates in front of the away fans in the Roseburn Stand was incredible.
Halkett's equalising goal was disappointing given how well we had defended the penalty box previously but I think we just ran out of puff and lost concentration at the vital moment. His second came when he headed home a great Jake Mulraney cross. I thought we would have been a decent shout for penalties - and I was positive with Smith in goal we would get the bonus point - but it wasn't to be.
The upcoming match against Cowdenbeath is the one I've been most looking forward to in the Betfred Cup because it'll give us a perfect barometer as to how our season will pan out. I've seen us against St Mirren, Dundee United and now Hearts and we've done well against sides we've not been expected to win against by sitting back and soaking up pressure. How will we fare against one of League 2's more unremarkable teams (no disrespect, of course)? Can we take the game to them? I can't wait to find out!

Unremarkable is commonplace in League 2. Hope it’ll be tasty after the remarkable Harvest Swann debacle.

Well done stenny, you must have had that lots arses twitching like a rabbits nose last night. 

You are quite right to be proud of that score line against a premier team. Carry that performance into the league season and you’ll do yourselves proud. 

1 hour ago, Velazquez Blue said:

Unremarkable is commonplace in League 2. Hope it’ll be tasty after the remarkable Harvest Swann debacle.

Yes, I'm sure rival fans will be scrapping outside Tim Horton's over the Warriors' botched attempt to sign him.

pleased and disappointed at the same time. brilliant defensive display from munro, marsh and buzz was man of the match in goal. you get one or two good crosses from cook and mr goals was there to poke it in. outstanding moment in the away end. but our sharpness was fading and we just couldn't keep hearts out. disappointed to lose the two goals as I thought we'd hang on to penalties. fancied smith to save a few going by his form of the night. as the old cliché goes, if we can take that form into the league we'll be fine

the team looks decent

3 hours ago, Velazquez Blue said:

Why would the Swann situation make it tasty? It's not as though it has generated any bad blood between the players or fans.

Crowd of 192 will witness this dead rubber. I'll be giving it a miss personally and wouldn't mind the players who didn't feature last night getting a run out as that was one hell of a shift the lads put in last night.

Can only echo what has been said. Confirmed what we know about the team in many ways. Very strong at the back - Buzz was superb. Shout out to Scott McLaughlin too. Shoving my words of concern about his signing firmly down my throat. 

Still look at the team and can't see much creativity thogugh, but we should be difficult to beat.

We might be struggling for bodies for Saturday - a few looked pretty ragged at the end.