Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

He will add competition for places but it's a massive step up from where he has been operating at. 

Best of luck to Kieran on his return to the club but I don't think we should expect too much just because he scored 47 goals against the blind school last year.

3 hours ago, razamanaz said:

Kieran Anderson: Sky says he has signed on loan, does this mean that he got a contract with Hamilton? I watched him with Camelon last year and he's good, bit static but has some shot on him

Not like Stenny to ignore the rules.... ;) 

Fair play, I really enjoyed that this evening. Although Dundee United were the better side and deserved their win, I thought we gave them a good game and worked them hard. The back four looked solid - Scott McLaughlin should check his back pocket to see if Lawrence Shankland is still in there - Jamie McKernon and Thomas Halleran worked well together in the middle of the park and David Hopkirk was a nuisance in attack. The whole team looked sharp and everyone put themselves about; I think there are a lot of positives we can take from tonight.

I don't think Kyle Marley covered himself in glory, however. He was at fault for United's first goal, dropped two crosses and seemed unsure about collecting balls over the top. He made a great save from Shankland at the death but I don't trust him and I don't think his team-mates do either. I'm looking forward to seeing Graeme Smith back in the starting XI when he returns to full fitness.

Kieran Anderson replaced Mark McGuigan for the final 25 minutes or so and looked alright. He's a big lad, that's for sure, and he did show some nice touches to link with Hopkirk, but he didn't really get involved too often and didn't have a sight on goal.

Still! Good stuff all in. I've got a feeling Halleran will be a big player for us this season.

Halleran getting the no.8 jersey would signify that for me. Hopefully when we are playing teams more our level his technical ability will stand out and he can add 10 goals from midfield.

Halleran was really good tonight really looks a player this season , tbh the whole team put in a shift, think young scullion could be a decent find for us for league 2, maybe nerves from Marley at times, but he is not decisive enough, definitely not vocal enough, sort of things his defence needs him to be,

we are one creative middle of the park man short I feel and if we can find someone then we could be pretty handy this year 

happy with last night. against teams at our own level we should be competitive. new signings scullion, mckernon, McLaughlin are all strong additions to the ranks. thought hopkirk and Anderson looked good. mcguigan and cook did ok but less effective than the others. marley cost us the point tonight. but many positives for us to t ake away

11 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Fair play, I really enjoyed that this evening. Although Dundee United were the better side and deserved their win, I thought we gave them a good game and worked them hard. The back four looked solid - Scott McLaughlin should check his back pocket to see if Lawrence Shankland is still in there - Jamie McKernon and Thomas Halleran worked well together in the middle of the park and David Hopkirk was a nuisance in attack. The whole team looked sharp and everyone put themselves about; I think there are a lot of positives we can take from tonight.

I don't think Kyle Marley covered himself in glory, however. He was at fault for United's first goal, dropped two crosses and seemed unsure about collecting balls over the top. He made a great save from Shankland at the death but I don't trust him and I don't think his team-mates do either. I'm looking forward to seeing Graeme Smith back in the starting XI when he returns to full fitness.

Kieran Anderson replaced Mark McGuigan for the final 25 minutes or so and looked alright. He's a big lad, that's for sure, and he did show some nice touches to link with Hopkirk, but he didn't really get involved too often and didn't have a sight on goal.

Still! Good stuff all in. I've got a feeling Halleran will be a big player for us this season.

I hadn't realised that was Kyle Marley in goals last night for you. I saw him a few times last season for Linlithgow - and he didn't look much cop at that level

Some of the previous comments about some of our signings made me wonder what we would be like and it was plesantly surprising. Marley will not do and that much is obvious. The rest of the team look the business though.  Mckernon wants the ball all the time and Halleran has bulked up and this could be a big season for him. Scullion will give lesser defences nightmares. Big Marky looked slightly off but now has solid competition.

We are probably 2 - 3 short of being a real force this season but looking good at this stage. East Fife will show us more where we are than tonight did.

Let's take a look at our squad for the season ahead:

Goalkeepers:
Kyle Marley
Graeme Smith

Defenders:
David Marsh
Aidan McIlduff
Andy Munro
Marky Munro
Chris O'Neill

Midfielders:
Alan Cook
Kieron Gibbons
Thomas Halleran
Brandon Luke
Jamie McKernon
Scott McLaughlin
Liam Scullion

Forwards:
Kieran Anderson
Tiwi Daramola
David Hopkirk
Mark McGuigan
Ryan Watters

Probably not a side that's likely to challenge for the title but we should be looking to get into the top four. We still lack a dominant central midfielder but I reckon we'll be able to make big changes in January if they're required. There's a lot of versatility in the team with several players being able to operate in more than one position.

I reckon the starting XI will be:

- McGuigan - Hopkirk -

- Cook - Halleran - McKernon - Scullion -

- McIlduff - Marsh - A. Munro - O'Neill -

- Smith -

I actually think we are not far away from having a squad that can challenge now. More so because I don't think any other team in the league is much cop.

It's maybe not quite went how we expected but it's looking a lot better than it did a few weeks ago. I was critical of the McLaughlin signing but only due to the fact we had in our mind this extra money etc he will do fine in the squad and I'm glad to have him.

14 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

It's maybe not quite went how we expected but it's looking a lot better than it did a few weeks ago. I was critical of the McLaughlin signing but only due to the fact we had in our mind this extra money etc he will do fine in the squad and I'm glad to have him.

I agree, Scott McLaughlin has been one of the least-exciting signings I think we've ever made, particularly in the context of having loads of money, but he's shown up well in the two matches I've seen him in, both in unfamiliar positions. He was brought into the club to primarily work as a fitness coach and then add to the squad, so all things considered, it's probably a good piece of business.

I know Morgyn Neill wasn't exactly a fans favourite at Stenny but by god has he been bad so far. From the friendlies to the cup games he's looked attrocious in pretty much all of them.

I assume we shouldn't expect much in terms of him improving? I was really disappointed with the signing if I'm being honest but I didn't expect him to be this bad and our centre back situation is giving me the absolute fear.

Morgyn had some absolute storming games for us but throws in some heads gone moments as well. Munro and Marsh are far more steady and consistent hands.

He is what he is really. A lower end league one jobber I'm sure he won't be completely brutal every game but certainly can't be good for the confidence the way he has started.

In general thought what a rag tag gang you have become. A team of players no one else wanted and weren't picked up at the Exit Trials have assembled at Dumbarton. You are a certainty to get relegated. Enjoy the season.

Edited by Neilly

12 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I know Morgyn Neill wasn't exactly a fans favourite at Stenny but by god has he been bad so far. From the friendlies to the cup games he's looked attrocious in pretty much all of them.

I assume we shouldn't expect much in terms of him improving? I was really disappointed with the signing if I'm being honest but I didn't expect him to be this bad and our centre back situation is giving me the absolute fear.

Morgyn Neill had a weird season at Stenhousemuir last year. He had big shoes to fill, with the excellent Dunlop brothers moving elsewhere, and for a while he looked like the player we were expecting - a big, no-nonsense stopper, albeit pretty raw. Neill was our best defender over the first half of the campaign, although when you're playing alongside Jesus Garcia Tena, that's not saying much at all. He was decent enough at doing the heavy lifting but seemed to get dragged out of position a lot and never truly looked assured.

In January, Colin McMenamin turned over his defence and signed Andy Munro from Forfar Athletic and brought back David Marsh from Cowdenbeath and we immediately looked a far harder prospect. Neill was either used as part of a three-man defence or not at all when we played with a back four. He was guilty of two catastrophic errors, one against Raith Rovers (where he sliced a clearance towards his own net, prompting the goalkeeper to throw himself at it and push it out to Liam Buchanan to score a 91st-minute equaliser), the other against East Fife (where he played an unsighted back-pass straight into the path of Aaron Dunsmore). It was interesting to stand by the sidelines of our match against Brechin City on the final day of the season - we were playing in a back three with Neill on the left, and he had to be talked through the whole of the first half by Marsh and Munro. After a red card, we reshuffled to an orthodox back four and he looked far more at ease.

I wasn't too disappointed when he left the club, to be honest. There's probably a solid lower-league centre-back in there but he needs an experienced, vocal player in alongside him. Is that Ryan McGeever? I don't know. I'm surprised to see him falter so quickly at Dumbarton, right enough. It's still early days.