Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Kyle Johnson is not a football player from what I've seen so that move certainly makes sense. He was truly appalling against EK.

Free up a couple of Wham bars to bring in another jobber as squad filler. 

Jeeez id take Alan Reid back in a heart beat, this really is not looking good, what happened to us having a little bit of money? This is the worst pre season for a long while and there has been some poor ones 

Don't wanna get too negative until the competitive stuff starts, however it doesn't appear we have signed any player we actually wanted, maybe O'Neil.

Even Hopkirk who on paper looks the "star" signing was on that released player list all summer.

It appears we are now just flinging together what we can rather than what we want and that's not a good position at all.

We really are lacking some razzmatazz in the middle of the park. I do worry where that spark will come from.

When we were relegated two years ago, we had to build a new squad almost from scratch and brought in well-known players like Mark McGuigan, the Dunlop brothers, Mark Ferry and Jamie Longworth, and augment them with world-class loanees like Harry Paton. On paper, that team was good enough to challenge for the title and I was excited about the season ahead.

This squad, however, are a real gang. As "Vimto90" above me states, Chris O'Neill is probably the only target we landed. I reckon we've been too ambitious in trying to bring in high-quality players (Robert Thomson, Bobby Barr) and didn't really prepare a plan B if they turned us down, meaning we've had to fill in their positions with jobbers who formed part of a Berwick Rangers defence that shipped 91 goals last term.

Has there been any talk of a Meet the Manager forum soon? They're generally interesting and it'd be good to hear Colin talk through the summer's transfers and his aims for the season ahead (and assuage my fears!)

We got McIlduff on loan from Celtic for 5 months in January 2017 when we were in League 1 and he went straight into the team at left wing back, replacing Sean Burns who was a bit off form at the time. It wasn't long before Burns was back in the side as he was clearly a superior player. I think McIlduff only played about 4 games for us in total, he didn't look up to it at all. 

That'll be him having a stormer now in all the games against QP this season

Edited by Mick1867

We started the match in a 4-1-4-1 formation:

- McGuigan -

- Cook - Gibbons - Halleran - Hopkirk

- McKernon -

- McIlduff - Munro - O'Neill - McLaughlin -

- Marley -

We had two trialists, Tiwi Daramola, Ryan Watters, Marky Munro and Brandon Luke all on the bench.

I thought that was a decent run out this evening. We should have won the match based on some of the chances we missed (although Vaclav Hladky made three or four brilliant saves) but a draw was probably the fair result. By the end of the match, St Mirren had virtually swapped their whole XI around so things became a bit disjointed but I think we should be happy enough with that.

The goalkeeper didn't have much to do, nor could he have done much to block Tony Andreu's well-executed goal. The back four looked fine - I presume Chris O'Neill filled in at centre-back to cover for David Marsh - with Scott McLaughlin and Aidan McIlduff putting in a decent shift at full-back. Neither of them were overly stretched, with St Mirren only getting in behind a handful of times towards the end of the game. I'm still unsure about the midfield. I was appalled by Jamie McKernon's condition - he looks about 18lbs overweight, with his gut visible beneath his shirt whenever he broke into a sprint, and I can't believe a player would return to pre-season in that shape. He did, however, look quite handy on the ball and played some nice passes. Thomas Halleran and Kieron Gibbons look like they've beefed up a bit during their time away but we're still lightweight and lack creativity.

Alan Cook could have scored a hat-trick, twice from free-kicks and another when he was put through on goal, only to be thwarted by Hladky. His delivery from corners was mince though, and most of his balls either didn't beat the first man or sailed right over everyone's head. David Hopkirk looked sparky to begin with and had a very good chance of his own before dropped out of the game. Mark McGuigan put himself about and held up the ball well but he should have scored before the interval when he unexpectedly found himself on goal; instead he hammed his shot straight at Hladky.

The substitutes were fine. Towards the end of the match, one of the trialists played in Ryan Watters down the left flank, who strode into the box and clipped a handsome ball for the other trialist to finish. I'm not sure if they're worth a second look. I do want to see more of Tiwi Daramola though - he was only on the pitch for about 10 minutes but he looked bright whenever he had the ball.

Roll on the Betfred Cup!

1 minute ago, Burnsythebinman said:

reasons to be positive do you reckon @Francesc Fabregas?

Hard to say but given how unimpressed we've all been by our transfer business this summer and the poor performances against Oakley United and East Kilbride, a decent showing against a full-time Premiership outfit is probably something we should all be happy with.

11 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We started the match in a 4-1-4-1 formation:

- McGuigan -

- Cook - Gibbons - Halleran - Hopkirk

- McKernon -

- McIlduff - Munro - O'Neill - McLaughlin -

- Marley -

We had two trialists, Tiwi Daramola, Ryan Watters, Marky Munro and Brandon Luke all on the bench.

I thought that was a decent run out this evening. We should have won the match based on some of the chances we missed (although Vaclav Hladky made three or four brilliant saves) but a draw was probably the fair result. By the end of the match, St Mirren had virtually swapped their whole XI around so things became a bit disjointed but I think we should be happy enough with that.

The goalkeeper didn't have much to do, nor could he have done much to block Tony Andreu's well-executed goal. The back four looked fine - I presume Chris O'Neill filled in at centre-back to cover for David Marsh - with Scott McLaughlin and Aidan McIlduff putting in a decent shift at full-back. Neither of them were overly stretched, with St Mirren only getting in behind a handful of times towards the end of the game. I'm still unsure about the midfield. I was appalled by Jamie McKernon's condition - he looks about 18lbs overweight, with his gut visible beneath his shirt whenever he broke into a sprint, and I can't believe a player would return to pre-season in that shape. He did, however, look quite handy on the ball and played some nice passes. Thomas Halleran and Kieron Gibbons look like they've beefed up a bit during their time away but we're still lightweight and lack creativity.

Alan Cook could have scored a hat-trick, twice from free-kicks and another when he was put through on goal, only to be thwarted by Hladky. His delivery from corners was mince though, and most of his balls either didn't beat the first man or sailed right over everyone's head. David Hopkirk looked sparky to begin with and had a very good chance of his own before dropped out of the game. Mark McGuigan put himself about and held up the ball well but he should have scored before the interval when he unexpectedly found himself on goal; instead he hammed his shot straight at Hladky.

The substitutes were fine. Towards the end of the match, one of the trialists played in Ryan Watters down the left flank, who strode into the box and clipped a handsome ball for the other trialist to finish. I'm not sure if they're worth a second look. I do want to see more of Tiwi Daramola though - he was only on the pitch for about 10 minutes but he looked bright whenever he had the ball.

Roll on the Betfred Cup!

Your comments about Mckernon are absolutely disgusting, you should be ashamed of yourself speaking about anyone like that.. he was the best player on the park by a mile!

12 minutes ago, eleets13 said:

Your comments about Mckernon are absolutely disgusting, you should be ashamed of yourself speaking about anyone like that.. he was the best player on the park by a mile!

Are you Jamie McKernon or related to Jamie McKernon?

11 minutes ago, eleets13 said:

I saw him at the kilby game and have to agree that he was noticeably overweight. professional players should be looking after them selves between seasons, its no up to the clubs to get them back in shape

14 minutes ago, Burnsythebinman said:

I saw him at the kilby game and have to agree that he was noticeably overweight. professional players should be looking after them selves between seasons, its no up to the clubs to get them back in shape

Have you personally put the boy on the scales & have the medical knowledge to say he is clinically overweight? I didn’t think so..

You should be supportive of your teams players instead of slandering them online like some pathetic cyber bully. It’s a sad state of affairs when a footballers skill goes unnoticed & a group of grown men are slagging him off on his appearance. 

Edited by eleets13

2 minutes ago, eleets13 said:

Have you personally put the boy on the scales & have the medical knowledge to say he is clinically overweight? I didn’t think so..

You should be supportive of your teams players instead of slandering them online like some pathetic cyber bully. It’s a sad state of affairs when a footballers skill goes unnoticed & a group of grown men are slagging him off on his appearance. 

you seem very sensitive to this player, any reason? I only said he looked overweight, that's not cyber bullying, slandering or slagging off. isee you just joined to make these points, I ask again, any reason you want to share?

1 minute ago, Burnsythebinman said:

you seem very sensitive to this player, any reason? I only said he looked overweight, that's not cyber bullying, slandering or slagging off. isee you just joined to make these points, I ask again, any reason you want to share?

Just think the comments made about him have been very unnecessary & his skill & potential is being massively overlooked. 

Didn’t just join, re-joined. We’re here to talk about the game & the performance & some people seem to have forgotten that. If his apparent “weight issue” starts to affect his performance then batter in but until that time I think you should give the guy a chance to prove that he was a worthwhile signing