Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Conner Duthie hasn't left the club as far as I'm aware. He hasn't signed a new deal yet but then nor has Ryan Watters. I'd be keen to keep Duthie on.

There were also a couple of young lads out on loan last season - Kyle Johnson and Aidan Kemp. No idea what has become of them but I think Johnson's contract has another year to run.

13 minutes ago, STENNY ROB said:

Conner Duthie hasn't left the club as far as I'm aware. He hasn't signed a new deal yet but then nor has Ryan Watters. I'd be keen to keep Duthie on.

There were also a couple of young lads out on loan last season - Kyle Johnson and Aidan Kemp. No idea what has become of them but I think Johnson's contract has another year to run.

Ryan has signed on for this season

Definately need a couple of decent midfielders and another striker as well as defence cover.  So much for increasing our budget.  I know some of the names that were being bandied about and failed to materialise but so far less than impressed with what we have brought in.

That midfield looks really weak.  We all know that Cookie blows hot and cold and Halleron and Gibbons are hardly game changers albeit they are still quite young. Really need to get a decent playmaker in there and a decent strike partner of Mark.  On a more positive note the defence looks quite sound although needs a couple of players for cover.

Will be interesting to see what developes in the next week or so.

1 hour ago, Whatif said:

Definately need a couple of decent midfielders and another striker as well as defence cover.  So much for increasing our budget.  I know some of the names that were being bandied about and failed to materialise but so far less than impressed with what we have brought in.

I don't doubt we've increased our budget (attempting to sign Shane Sutherland on loan from Peterhead, for example) but I reckon the management team just hasn't been able to land a single target and have had to turn to players like Jamie McKernon and Scott McLaughlin instead. It's so disappointing when you're talking to guys like Robert Thomson but have to sign up jobbers from the Lowland League instead.

You’d think we will be looking at getting another couple of loans in again, only Mark Munro so far so hopefully another couple to come in and flesh out the squad. Obviously they can be hit or miss though, you’d hope for another couple of McBrearty’s rather than yer Ross’s or yer Dingwall’s

6 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I don't doubt we've increased our budget (attempting to sign Shane Sutherland on loan from Peterhead, for example) but I reckon the management team just hasn't been able to land a single target and have had to turn to players like Jamie McKernon and Scott McLaughlin instead. It's so disappointing when you're talking to guys like Robert Thomson but have to sign up jobbers from the Lowland League instead.

I wouldn’t underestimate the signing of Jamie Mckernon. He’s a cracking player who was arguably our best player alongside Ryan Mcgeever when we finished 6th in league 1 a couple years back. Hasn’t quite worked as well during his 2nd spell due to being forced to play at centre back for half a season as a result of our horrendous injury crisis in defence. Stenny have got a very good player at this level 

2 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I wouldn’t underestimate the signing of Jamie Mckernon. He’s a cracking player who was arguably our best player alongside Ryan Mcgeever when we finished 6th in league 1 a couple years back. Hasn’t quite worked as well during his 2nd spell due to being forced to play at centre back for half a season as a result of our horrendous injury crisis in defence. Stenny have got a very good player at this level 

This is good news, The last player we signed from Queen's Park (Vincent Berry) was a wee superstar so I'm looking forward to more of the same!

42 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Kyle Marley had a game in goals yet , did alright at Kelty when oor keeps??

We've not had any games yet. He should get atleast a game from the friendlies. 

11 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Why do you think this is?  Do you think that the Swann affair may be having an impact?  The money on offer from some non-league clubs must be having an impact as well.

Edited by Moonglum25

11 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

This is good news, The last player we signed from Queen's Park (Vincent Berry) was a wee superstar so I'm looking forward to more of the same!

McKernon also had his own injury issues towards the end of last season. Fully fit and playing in his strongest position he should do a decent job for you. Although I obviously hope he's pish on at least four occasions 

Edited by Mick1867

12 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

nobody has in league 2

I was really pleased when we signed Hopkirk but for whatever reason we never ever seen him. Heard something along the lines of he had bad mental health but wouldn't let the club help him. 

If his head is screwed on he will be a good signing for this level.