Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Ah yes, I remember when you promised "everything would come out in the wash" after our promotion and all that happened was some players knew they would probably be leaving the club on the bus up to Peterhead. As for Jack Smith, he was worth a punt at the time - he'd scored 20-odd goals in the Lowland League with East Kilbride - but we eventually found out he wasn't good enough for League 1; Bobby Vaughan might be in the same boat. Which players have been shown too much loyalty?
I agree with your points about a lack of a plan B, however, and Bomber's frustrating use (or non-use) of substitutes.

There was more to it than that but I am not going to go into it at the moment.

Players shown to much loyalty - examples were McCabe, Malcolm and Gilhaney

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:44, The Moonster said:

Don't really want to overtake the Stenny thread here but that's not exactly true. Aitken's issue is that he takes a scattergun approach to signings and then looks to sort the squad out from there, ultimately last season that's what led to our demise (because he was taking less care with his scattergunning), but Aitken had us attacking teams in the Championship with Stanton/Stirling/Vaughan/Thommo etc. (arguably some of the best we played in the Championship outside the season we finished 5th). He IS capable of it regardless of what he served up in his last 18 months.  He seems to be painted as this horrible wee guy who turned up with the sole intention of signing shite players and playing awful football. It's not accurate, even if we agree that his time was up.

Some fantastic results when Stevie Aitken was our manager, Stuttered a bit with the Sons, but a good manager.

Terribly sad news. I only spoke with him a couple of times but he was a really interesting guy with some big ideas - they were probably too grand for a team of Stenhousemuir's size but I was pleased to see him make a name for himself at Brentford. Far too young to go.

36 minutes ago, Neilly said:

ANNOUNCE MAURICE ROSS.

I can very much see this being the case - I had a weird feeling he'd be the new manager. Seems like a very "Davie Reid" pick.

He applied for the Queen's Park job and was knocked back in favour of Mark Roberts.

53 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I can very much see this being the case - I had a weird feeling he'd be the new manager. Seems like a very "Davie Reid" pick.

He applied for the Queen's Park job and was knocked back in favour of Mark Roberts.

Maurice Ross would be an outstanding appointment in my view.

i wanted him in the Cowden job. 

Thomas Courts I think will be in with a chance. Ambitious manager that worked hard at Kelty and is looking to progress. A chance until the end of the season to prove himself at this level would be an ideal candidate.

i am sure there is another few managers out there that could also be in for it.....

Could be a good appointment if Stenny go for Maurice Ross,he s not new to management having spent the last 4 years as manager of clubs in Norway and Faroe Islands.I m sure Maurice  won a league and a couple of his clubs played European football qualifiers.

What he has done in Iceland. Took a journeyman team and made them title contenders. 
also, very highly spoken of by coaches who were on his A licence course. Def worth a punt by a Scottish Club imo

Has he even managed in Iceland? I just checked his Wikipedia. Can't believe he's only 37

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Has he even managed in Iceland? I just checked his Wikipedia. Can't believe he's only 37

My mistake, it was the Faroe Islands, he took a team near the bottom of the league and did really well then got the job with th league winners and managed them thru European games.

i hear  he wants home but can’t break into  the old boys roundabout that is Scottish football.

10 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

My mistake, it was the Faroe Islands, he took a team near the bottom of the league and did really well then got the job with th league winners and managed them thru European games.

i hear  he wants home but can’t break into  the old boys roundabout that is Scottish football.

The difference in levels of football between Scottish football and Faroese football will be massive, even lower league in Scotland. As for the "old boys roundabout" part, it's not exactly true. Ian Murray, Dave MacKay, Stewart Petrie, David Hopkin, Jack Ross, Martin Canning, Jim Goodwin, Stuart Kettlewell, Robbie Neilson, Gary Caldwell.  All of those guys have been able to "break into" the game in Scotland in recent seasons, so if Ross is having trouble doing that I'd suggest it's because nobody finds him an ideal candidate rather than some "old boys" conspiracy to keep him out of a job.

The difference in levels of football between Scottish football and Faroese football will be massive, even lower league in Scotland. As for the "old boys roundabout" part, it's not exactly true. Ian Murray, Dave MacKay, Stewart Petrie, David Hopkin, Jack Ross, Martin Canning, Jim Goodwin, Stuart Kettlewell, Robbie Neilson, Gary Caldwell.  All of those guys have been able to "break into" the game in Scotland in recent seasons, so if Ross is having trouble doing that I'd suggest it's because nobody finds him an ideal candidate rather than some "old boys" conspiracy to keep him out of a job.
We don't need your reasoned and well thought out explanations in these parts.
Away wi ye!

Just recently you can throw Kevin Rutkiewicz l, Mark Roberts and Kevin Harper onto that list. It wasn’t too long ago that Brown Ferguson was playing, same with Derek Young & Peter Murphy. Loads of players have broken the mould.

There were rumours going about that Gavin Skelton was one of the candidates for the Stirling job, so no doubt he’ll of applied for Stenny also.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Just recently you can throw Kevin Rutkiewicz l, Mark Roberts and Kevin Harper onto that list. It wasn’t too long ago that Brown Ferguson was playing, same with Derek Young & Peter Murphy. Loads of players have broken the mould.

There were rumours going about that Gavin Skelton was one of the candidates for the Stirling job, so no doubt he’ll of applied for Stenny also.

Yip, that wasn't a definitive list, just the ones I could think of :P