Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Unsure what to make of this. We’re doing exactly how I expected us to do this season. On the other hand some of the performances have been shocking. Saturday for example, awful all game then he waits till 5 minutes to go before making a triple substitution. 

Disappointed and didn’t see it coming, yes the late substitutions frustrate and yes we are inconsistent but probably have the lowest budget in the league and that’s what you get. Martin Corrigan again! I hope they know what they are doing and don’t screw it up again[emoji848][emoji848]

Funnily enough as I left Ochilview on Saturday I did wonder/worry about his future.

He is a great guy and I think everyone around the club will be sorry to see him go. He had some really tough things to deal when the club was in real peril a couple of seasons ago.

I must admit, I'm fairly surprised about this. I can't say I'm fully clued up on how Stenny were performing week in week out, but from the outside looking in Ferguson appeared to be doing a fairly solid job. Then again, as Ross Forbes touched on above, more than a few zoomers were saying the same when we bagged Aitken.

As for replacements, I'm not sure there's much out there who will do a better job. Aitken and Courts are the obvious free agents, would Aitken be interested? I'm not so sure - he holds a high opinion of himself and recently turned down Stirling Albion as well as distancing himself from the Brechin job. Would he be a better option than Brown Ferguson? I'd have to say the answer to that is no. Despite him trying to constantly remind everyone and anyone he was working with a minute budget, he really wasn't. I'm just not sure how he'd cope with one of the smallest budgets in the league when his signing policy is so unstructured.

It will be interesting to see how the players react. If they enjoyed working under Ferguson his sacking may well have the opposite effect of what the board are looking for.

Aitken better not be near the job. Looking at the state he got Dumbarton in with the players and budget at his disposal I shudder to think the state he would get us in.

I'd be amazed if all the players to a man are not gutted about this news. Bomber was a guy you would love to play for from the outside looking in. The last external candidate we got was an absolute disaster who put the club back years so I don't have great faith they are going to get this right.

Is Colin McMenamin doing or done his coaching badges? Is that something the club would realistically be looking at or do you reckon they'll invite applications?
I imagine the stenny job would attract a fair bit of interest, a lot of guys could see it as a free hit this year, and could only improve their reputation. Ferguson's gave the club a good platform for survival this year, and IF you do go down, it'll be "AW well no surprises there" (with the greatest of respect) but if the new man does manage to keep them up it looks massively good for him.

Best of luck with the recruitment anyway.

As for replacements, I'm not sure there's much out there who will do a better job. Aitken and Courts are the obvious free agents, would Aitken be interested? I'm not so sure - he holds a high opinion of himself and recently turned down Stirling Albion as well as distancing himself from the Brechin job.

I doubt it will be Aitken. I know the rumour mill is he turned down the Stirling Albion job but I’ve heard from within the club that’s not quite true. The club contacted Aitken to ask if he would like to apply for the job, however were told that due to his compensation package from Dumbarton, he couldn’t. I’m guessing this would be the same at Brechin and possibly now Stenny, but obviously don’t know for sure.

As an outsider looking in, I’m in no position to say if this was deserved or not, however going by the posts by a couple of Stenny fans, it has certainly come as a surprise.

There isn’t really an obvious candidate out there I would say, so many clubs have emptied managers at the same time, so the obvious pool is slightly shallow, which makes me wonder if you will go down the untested route again, as we did with KR.

I doubt it will be Aitken. I know the rumour mill is he turned down the Stirling Albion job but I’ve heard from within the club that’s not quite true. The club contacted Aitken to ask if he would like to apply for the job, however were told that due to his compensation package from Dumbarton, he couldn’t. I’m guessing this would be the same at Brechin and possibly now Stenny, but obviously don’t know for sure.

As an outsider looking in, I’m in no position to say if this was deserved or not, however going by the posts by a couple of Stenny fans, it has certainly come as a surprise.

There isn’t really an obvious candidate out there I would say, so many clubs have emptied managers at the same time, so the obvious pool is slightly shallow, which makes me wonder if you will go down the untested route again, as we did with KR.
His compensation package at Dumbarton doesn't have any impact on him taking a new job. He was paid off and is no longer under contract, the only way he couldn't go elsewhere is if he was on paid leave and technically still under contract. He was in the papers very recently, begging Airdrie to take a punt on him, he also took part in a radio interview last week where he said he was desperate to get back into it asap.

I suppose he may not have turned down an actual offer from Stirling Albion, but rather a request for him to apply. I'd imagine if he did apply he'd have a fairly good chance of bagging the job given who was appointed.

Like a few of the other posters, a bit surprised to see Brown go. Always came across well to speak to and there was not a lot between the two teams on Saturday. The one thing that has been desperately lacking on the two occasions I've seen Stenny this season is a real goal threat. The thing is, top quality strikers are not freely available and just about every team in this league would bite your hand off for one. I think if you guessed the table at the start of the season most folk would have had Dumbarton, Raith and Arbroath towards the top. Montrose and Stenhousemuir - as the newly-promoted teams - towards the bottom but with not a great deal between them and the middle of the pack. In that respect, I think Brown has done what was expected. As I say, a shame to see him go.

To be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to Stevie Aitken coming into the club. Although his final six months at Dumbarton were pretty sour, he was excellent at this level with Stranraer and had them punching well above their weight before he moved to the Rock.

Other than Aitken and maybe Tam Courts, I can't really think of anyone else at the moment.

I'm really disappointed with this news - I think this has been the first time I've been upset by a managerial change at the club.

4 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

To be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to Stevie Aitken coming into the club. Although his final six months at Dumbarton were pretty sour, he was excellent at this level with Stranraer and had them punching well above their weight before he moved to the Rock.

Other than Aitken and maybe Tam Courts, I can't really think of anyone else at the moment.

I'm really disappointed with this news - I think this has been the first time I've been upset by a managerial change at the club.

There is an obvious option:whistle

4 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

There has to be other factors here. FFS we are 3 points off of 5th place and an upcoming game against the leagues bottom side!!!!

What is the expectation level??

10 minutes ago, Sarge Bullman said:

There has to be other factors here. FFS we are 3 points off of 5th place and an upcoming game against the leagues bottom side!!!!

What is the expectation level??

Agreed. Something doesn't quite add up.

I'm not sure where this strong, talented squad is the board speak of but if that is your belief then surely you give the guy who assembled this strong and talented squad the chance to see the job through.

The signs were there that all was not well with the performances.

We beat Montrose but couldn't have complained if we had been 5-1 down at half time.

We lost to Forfar 2-1 but again were lucky we weren't out the game at half time.

We beat Airdrie 1 -0 but that was as much to do with Airdrie being woeful as us being good.

We lose 2-0 to Stanraer and don't make any substitutions until the last five minutes even though we are down to 10 men.

Bomber was a decent guy but I think he had run out of ideas. Bringing in Kevin "the goal machine" O'Hara was certainly not one of his best ideas.

5 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I don't think you can use Kevin O'Hara's signing as a stick to beat Bomber with - I think most people were quite excited when he joined the club. Although O'Hara's hardly lit up the division, he hasn't been terrible either.

Kevin O'Hara has scored 3 goals in his whole career and 1 of them was against us. We needed somebody who does more than just run around especially when he runs around as far from the ball as possible.

17 minutes ago, Ancient Warrior said:

Kevin O'Hara has scored 3 goals in his whole career and 1 of them was against us. We needed somebody who does more than just run around especially when he runs around as far from the ball as possible.

If it's strikers who score goals that you're after I recommend you swerve Stevie Aitken.