Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Can’t help but feel for the guy. Was always going to be up against it this season in the terms of resources he had and Stenny were competing in the division. It’s hardly as though they were returning to where they came from fast.
Good job for someone. Stenny’s a well run club and got a good catchment area to draw on.
Be interesting to see who they give the batten to.

Still think this is a rash decision. I haven’t been to many games this year due to work but even when I have been I’ve never heard any fans calling for his head nor for me had there been any signs that his job was ever in danger. Just my opinion though.

Also, not really wanting to defend the club here but it can’t have been an easy decision for them either given the association that bomber has with the club. 

Like others have said league 1 is so tight that a few back to back wins and your right up the table.

I know some of the players from last season were less than happy with his managerial talents. On the park we only seemed to have plan a and no alternative when things went wrong.  I have stated before about the time it took to get a substitute onto the park and his overloyalty to certain individuals when it was obvious that they were not up to scratch.

At times it seemed pointless to bring substitutes on when we are 2 goals down and there are only minutes to go seemed a waste of time considering the changes should have been made earlier.

We also have brought players in and they do not seem to get a chance ie Bobby Ray Vaughan and Jack Smith last year - what was the point in signing them, if they are not good enough why were they signed in the first place?

Mr goals is being used as a target man this season and you can clearly see that that is not working either.

however good luck to the man.

Edited by Moonglum25
Addition

Ah yes, I remember when you promised "everything would come out in the wash" after our promotion and all that happened was some players knew they would probably be leaving the club on the bus up to Peterhead. As for Jack Smith, he was worth a punt at the time - he'd scored 20-odd goals in the Lowland League with East Kilbride - but we eventually found out he wasn't good enough for League 1; Bobby Vaughan might be in the same boat. Which players have been shown too much loyalty?

I agree with your points about a lack of a plan B, however, and Bomber's frustrating use (or non-use) of substitutes.

I think I'll write up a feature on his time at the club but, in the meantime, it's worth remember what he's done for Stenhousemuir:

• A good player who had a key role in Davie Irons' excellent side of 2010/11
  • Galvanised the squad after Martyn Corrigan's dismissal and recorded a 3-3 draw with Rangers at Ibrox
  • Righted the ship after Scott Booth's miserable reign and kept the club in League 1 via the play-offs
  • Worked under difficult financial constraints to keep the team competitive
  • Brought the club back into League 1 at the first time of asking

I think history will look very kindly on Bomber's achievements at Ochilview.

Looking forward to FF's article on this.

A very strange decision from the outside looking in. Maybe I'm being unfair but I'd have said 8th would have been a good effort this season but clearly the board have loftier ambitions or there's something else gone on behind the scenes.

Brown's statement clearly shows what he makes of the decision, especially highlighting that he's done the job at times under severe financial restraints.

Strange after he Signed a four year deal only last year . yes Four years 

Hard working guy 4 nights per week but the board only see results . 

Not many Managers have a promotion on their CV Bomber has 

So who now 

Wouldn't think its a job that Managers out of the game will be Rushing for 

16 minutes ago, Newmember said:

Wouldn't think its a job that Managers out of the game will be Rushing for 

Would tend to agree with this.

Who is out of work that would be realistically interested? Paul Hartleys reputation has severely nose dived, would he drop down to league 1, would we want him? 

Stevie aitken? I work with a dumbarton season ticket holder and he’s told me his second spell in charge was brutal. 

Neil McCann? Lol. 

Who do the board think they can attract to this position, they must have been speaking to someone as surely you wouldn’t get rid of a manager without having somebody lined up. Has there been any rumblings from in the club about who it might be? 

1 minute ago, Jimbo21 said:

Would tend to agree with this.

Who is out of work that would be realistically interested? Paul Hartleys reputation has severely nose dived, would he drop down to league 1, would we want him? 

Stevie aitken? I work with a dumbarton season ticket holder and he’s told me his second spell in charge was brutal. 

Neil McCann? Lol. 

Who do the board think they can attract to this position, they must have been speaking to someone as surely you wouldn’t get rid of a manager without having somebody lined up. Has there been any rumblings from in the club about who it might be? 

He must be a Psychic :(

4 minutes ago, Jimbo21 said:

Sorry I’ve obviously picked him up wrong. Positive he said it was his second stint at dumbarton. 

It felt like he'd been in charge forever at times to be fair.

I've no idea how he'd do to be honest. He obviously did a great job at Stranraer (albeit with a talented squad) but his time with us was somewhere between unconvincing and disastrous. 

Chaotic might be the best way to put it.

Given he loved to grumble about our budget (which will be considerably biggers than yours I'd say) I can't see him fancying it.

Paul Hartley's reputation is severely damaged after his time at Falkirk but it's worth remembering how good he was at Alloa Athletic. Yes, they had a bit of money to throw around at the time but you can't argue with what he achieved with them.

That said, he's supposed to be a horrible person and I wouldn't want him anywhere near the club.

Feel like pure shit just want Bomber back x

1 hour ago, Jimbo21 said:

Sorry I’ve obviously picked him up wrong. Positive he said it was his second stint at dumbarton. 

58 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

It felt like he'd been in charge forever at times to be fair.

I've no idea how he'd do to be honest. He obviously did a great job at Stranraer (albeit with a talented squad) but his time with us was somewhere between unconvincing and disastrous. 

Chaotic might be the best way to put it.

Given he loved to grumble about our budget (which will be considerably biggers than yours I'd say) I can't see him fancying it.

He's good at doing a job with players he gets left by the previous manager.

The more he puts "his" stamp on the squad, the worse the team gets.

The only reason this never showed at Stranraer is that we employed him before it had time to manifest itself.

5 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

He's good at doing a job with players he gets left by the previous manager.

The more he puts "his" stamp on the squad, the worse the team gets.

The only reason this never showed at Stranraer is that we employed him before it had time to manifest itself.

Don't really want to overtake the Stenny thread here but that's not exactly true. Aitken's issue is that he takes a scattergun approach to signings and then looks to sort the squad out from there, ultimately last season that's what led to our demise (because he was taking less care with his scattergunning), but Aitken had us attacking teams in the Championship with Stanton/Stirling/Vaughan/Thommo etc. (arguably some of the best we played in the Championship outside the season we finished 5th). He IS capable of it regardless of what he served up in his last 18 months.  He seems to be painted as this horrible wee guy who turned up with the sole intention of signing shite players and playing awful football. It's not accurate, even if we agree that his time was up.

What’s John Coughlin up to these days?

I’m echoing what others said, but seems a strange decision to sack Ferguson with the league from 3rd down so congested.

Stenhousemuir were probably the majority of people’s picks to finish bottom, especially since they came up via the play-offs and lost a few key players over the summer.

Will be interesting to see who comes in but realistically the aim for the season will probably be to finish out-with the bottom 2.

I am sad to see him go, however, would suggest some negatives about his time

1) The quality of football has not been great. Not atrocious, but you would never go expecting to see a good game (for the level)

2) At no point in his time have we really overachieved. Even last season, the points total was a bit disappointing and we finished so far behind Montrose, who on paper, shouldn't have been world beaters

3) We never went on good runs or built real momentun that got you excited to go to games.

He did a decent job in difficult circumstances and I wish him well