Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

On 04/09/2018 at 08:02, Neilly said:

I feel it in my water we will get Paton back on loan.

Not getting a sniff at Ross County and not even getting on the bench since they signed Cowie.

You're coming home aren't you Harry?

Knows his onions.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back in from an entertaining our or so at the meet-the-manager forum at Ochilview this evening. Alongside Brown Ferguson was CEO Jamie Swinney, chairman Iain McMenamy and director Robert Beagley. It was an good discussion, although perhaps without the intrigue of other similar assemblies, and sparsely attended, with about 10 supporters there. Nonetheless, there were some salient moments - Bomber's favoured personnel, the difficulties in assembling a squad for the season ahead, the brinksmanship involved in dealing with players. He's such a fascinating guy to listen to, is Bomber, and the way he talks about the game is so interesting. I don't think I've ever heard him run out cliches, he always says something worth listening to.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Sorry I missed it but didn’t see it until late and as I work away couldn’t make it. What was the thoughts around targets for the season, ie 10 points per quarter would it be enough. Actually I don’t think the team have been outclassed this year but we need to turn the narrow defeats into points and on the rare occasion when we do go ahead we need to defend it better.

7 minutes ago, Happy Pebble said:

Sorry I missed it but didn’t see it until late and as I work away couldn’t make it. What was the thoughts around targets for the season, ie 10 points per quarter would it be enough. Actually I don’t think the team have been outclassed this year but we need to turn the narrow defeats into points and on the rare occasion when we do go ahead we need to defend it better.

There was no talk of targets but everyone there was generally upbeat about our chances for the season ahead. There was an acknowledgement that we should have taken something from the games against Raith Rovers, Airdrieonians and Arbroath (and that the performances against Forfar Athletic and Stranraer were unacceptable) but it's a solid team with depth, something we haven't had for a while, and the players seem to be enjoying themselves. Bomber said it's likely to be the most competitive division for some time with no obvious candidate to finish bottom.

Agree about Bomber. I think we are lucky to have him. He obviously has the club at heart. Certainly a degree of optimism about the place but need to start winning some games.

They are to start a Managers Fund where supporters are encouraged to contribute a monthly amount into a ring fenced account. All proceeds to be spent on players. Hopefully there will be a good uptake. 100 fans donating £100 a year = £10,000 which would be significant in the context of the overall budget. I expect there will be details on the website shortly. Spread the word.

On 25/09/2018 at 21:35, beaver1 said:

They are to start a Managers Fund where supporters are encouraged to contribute a monthly amount into a ring fenced account. All proceeds to be spent on players. Hopefully there will be a good uptake. 100 fans donating £100 a year = £10,000 which would be significant in the context of the overall budget. I expect there will be details on the website shortly. Spread the word.

Missed the meeting due to other commitments.  Given the fact that Bomber did not have a meeting with the fans last year was this held to break the news about the Managers fund? 

Were the board members present questioned as to what the club is currently doing to raise funds and realisticly how much do they expect the fans to donate?  £100/year is only £2 per week but where does £10K stand within our overall budget and is that about our budget for a single players wages?  Should the £2 be put onto the gate price? What other clubs run this initiative and what are their returns? 

Interesting to see how this works out but think the board may wish to discuss the matter further with the supporters.

There were very few supporters present so it is difficult to discuss something with yourself.  The Managers Fund has been raised in the past but never got off the ground. I think we now have a full time member of staff whose remit is, amongst other things, increase cash coming in to the club. So we have someone who can devote time to initiatives like this. The Managers Fund is purely optional - any money raised that goes to Bomber is better than nothing. No surprise, Harry Paton won't be coming cheap, for example. £10,000 was a number I used for illustrative purposes, but this amount of money would get, I would imagine, two players. I am not privy to the player budget but I would guess it represents about 10% of the total. 

The good thing about this is that it is easy to contribute and that the proceeds are clearly visible. Adding £2 to the gate just gets merged with all other cash coming into the club, and there would be a degree of effort required to separate the cash raised. Visiting fans also wouldn't want to contribute to our player budget.

Regardless, I know for a fact that Jamie would be delighted to hear from you, or anyone else, with any other initiatives or support that can be offered.

On 25/09/2018 at 21:35, beaver1 said:

Agree about Bomber. I think we are lucky to have him. He obviously has the club at heart. Certainly a degree of optimism about the place but need to start winning some games.

We have a similar thing a Falkirk and only have 140 odd members at £10 a month.

• 4 weeks later...