Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Cook must have racked up a fair whack of different clubs since he left us as a youngster. He seems to sign for a new team every year.

I vaguely remember it being mentioned years ago that his agent was a bit of pellet.

Aye, he's signed for a new club every summer since we let him go.

Stirling Albion

Airdrie

Arbroath

East Fife

Stenny

Lovely stuff, very happy with both of them. I've always admired Stephen Stirling whenever he's played against us in the past and I think, from reading the Dumbarton thread, that Gilhaney should do a decent job for us.

The midfield is beginning to take shape - by my reckoning we need a centre-back, cover at full-back, cover on the wings for Alan Cook's inevitable injury, and a couple of strikers. Maybe a goalie too but I think Jamie Barclay will be our #1 for the year ahead.

The team for 2015-16 is (* denotes a new signing):

Jamie Barclay*

Dean Shaw

Ciaran Summers

Stuart Malcolm*

Jamie McCormack

Ross Meechan

Kieran Millar

Jon Robertson*

Stephen Stirling*

Mark Gilhaney*

Alan Cook*

Anthony Marenghi

Colin McMenamin

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Decent signings that should aide you in your annual relegation-fodder battle.

To be fair, 2011-12 (fifth), 2012-13 (sixth) and 2013-14 (fifth) were alright for us. Last year was an unmitigated disaster though, I'll give you that.

Would take eighth right now if you offered it to me.

Gilhaney should be an excellent signing, would've been happy enough to see him stay with ourselves.

Can cover on either wing, always gives 100% and provides good cover for the full back. Lost a fair whack of his pace but I still rate his ability to beat a man and put a decent ball into the box.

He seemed pretty seething about Aitken letting him go after Murray had offered him terms so I'm glad he didn't have to sign for some shite like Clyde/Dumbarton reserves.

Edited to add: Hope Broon doesn't plan on playing him through the middle. Strictly a winger with the attributes to be moulded into an effective wing back if that suits your tactics.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

Think he'll be used exclusively as a winger. We'll quite well served in the middle of the park with Millar, Robertson, Marenghi and Stirling (and Meechan, of course).

Last season's midfield were so powderpuff - I shudder thinking about the times we paired Marenghi and Kris Faulds in the middle - so it's great to see the whole unit being upgraded.

We're about four or five players away from having a handy-enough team here. Feeling a little more relaxed about the year ahead (although I still would take eighth place right now).

Edited to add: Hope Broon doesn't plan on playing him through the middle. Strictly a winger with the attributes to be moulded into an effective wing back if that suits your tactics.

Ferguson has said he favours a 4-4-2.

We've already got 3 decent centre mids signed up (Kieran Miller, Jon Roberton and Stephen Stirling) so I assume Cook and Gilhaney will be our wingers/wide midfielders

Lovely stuff.

We will be fine this season our signings have surpassed my expectations by a long way.

Everyone seems to be making decent signings though, going to be an incredibly tight league, can't see any team similar to Stirling taking up the roll of cannon fodder.

Stephen Stirling and Mark Gilhaney.

A much higher calibre of player than I thought we'd be getting

Stephen Stirling one of the best players in our league, a lot of us would have liked to him to be still with us, bags of skill.

Edited by thomas 62

Stephen Stirling is a good player and was surprised when we released him...should of played more last season than he did..very skilful and plays better if he has a tough talking midfielder next to him ..also played in behind a lone striker sometimes as he is pretty creative with good passing ability...good signing for stenny.