Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

O'Neil seems a solid operator in lower league football but the same could be said with Alan Reid before he joined us so will reserve judgement.

"Excellent" was stretching it a bit as advised by one of the "media team" but each to their own.

Looking solid enough at the back which is strange for us this early in pre season. No racing about before yon diddy cup throwing peseta at Garcia Tena this season which is lovely.

Was a bit of an anticlimax really - we've signed the right back from a pretty mediocre League 1 team, a team we beat three times last season. 

However, I am sure he will be a step up from Alan Reid, so it is good news.

7 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Was a bit of an anticlimax really - we've signed the right back from a pretty mediocre League 1 team, a team we beat three times last season. 

Really good signing for you. Would’ve kept him in a heartbeat. Has the potential to be a fan favourite at The Warriors. 

1 minute ago, CEMSFC said:

He said that he had an offer from Airdrie but rejected it. Pretty sure we got him for cheaper than he was on at Airdrie

Yeah we offered him a better contract then last year aswell apparently. Good luck to the boy. Spoke to him a few times and is a really good lad too. 

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

O'Neil seems a solid operator in lower league football but the same could be said with Alan Reid before he joined us so will reserve judgement.

"Excellent" was stretching it a bit as advised by one of the "media team" but each to their own.

Looking solid enough at the back which is strange for us this early in pre season. No racing about before yon diddy cup throwing peseta at Garcia Tena this season which is lovely.

I hear it was exactly that problem that cost bomber his job. mcmenaman getting them in early so he's no next :angel

I'm not quite sure what you were expecting. By all accounts we're getting a decent League 1 player for a League 2 team. Signing a defender is never the most exciting signing but it's a higher calibre than I was expecting.

Punting Ferguson seemed harsh at the time but the chairman's comments about us doing poor business pre season and having to play catch up with loans and January signings was spot on. That was a real weakness and they've done well to recognise and then act upon it.

The season before last I don't think many Airdrie fans would have missed Chris O'Neil. A good athlete and a hard worker his actual footballing prowess would let him down IMO. He blew hot and cold, and more often cold in my eyes. He was able to get up and down the park but positionally he was suspect (although his athleticism would often make up for this) and his decision making would let him down. No real distribution skills or end product either. He was, fine, and able to get away with a lot of things at this level but nobody would have desperately wanted to keep him. 

But once we moved to a back 3 last season, that became easily his best spell in a diamond. He was well disciplined (positionally and in terms of keeping his cool), defensively sound and helped to organise and marshall the defence. He was definitely a large part of our team becoming much more defensively solid and having one of the best defensive records in the league under Murray. Still, no end product going forward but there was no real expectation for him to perform in that regard when we used the back three. As a result, he was one of the few players probably every Airdrie fan wanted to keep. Still not the absolute best player at this level but he was a player that would have been good enough to slot in at most teams and do a reasonable job. I thought he would get another League 1 club so he's a good signing for yourselves. He's probably slightly over-rated by some Airdrie fans because of his spell last season (and because he's a good guy and a hard worker) but he should be more than capable of performing at League 2. 

12 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The season before last I don't think many Airdrie fans would have missed Chris O'Neil. A good athlete and a hard worker his actual footballing prowess would let him down IMO. He blew hot and cold, and more often cold in my eyes. He was able to get up and down the park but positionally he was suspect (although his athleticism would often make up for this) and his decision making would let him down. No real distribution skills or end product either. He was, fine, and able to get away with a lot of things at this level but nobody would have desperately wanted to keep him. 

But once we moved to a back 3 last season, that became easily his best spell in a diamond. He was well disciplined (positionally and in terms of keeping his cool), defensively sound and helped to organise and marshall the defence. He was definitely a large part of our team becoming much more defensively solid and having one of the best defensive records in the league under Murray. Still, no end product going forward but there was no real expectation for him to perform in that regard when we used the back three. As a result, he was one of the few players probably every Airdrie fan wanted to keep. Still not the absolute best player at this level but he was a player that would have been good enough to slot in at most teams and do a reasonable job. I thought he would get another League 1 club so he's a good signing for yourselves. He's probably slightly over-rated by some Airdrie fans because of his spell last season (and because he's a good guy and a hard worker) but he should be more than capable of performing at League 2. 

I disagree slightly with the first assertion, I was fairly disappointed to lose Chris to Brechin. Yes, he had some defensive frailties but he'd a great engine and had plenty scope to improve.  He suffered slightly from having no cover from our midfield when he was making runs up and down the line and after he left our defense looked a lot more pedestrian with only Kieran MacDonald able to break out of defense. I'm sure somebody will prove me wrong with stats, but I felt our defense was poorer without him.

This season he's showed some improvement in his decision making. He's looked a little more mature in terms of discipline and I still think there's scope to improve technically. Whilst he'll never be a stand out, he should be a solid performer for Stenny and I personally wish him well.

Can only echo what the guys have said previous.

Disappointing to lose him to Brechin initially as I thought he had really really good potential.

He obviously took a bit of a battering at Brechin, and returned to us as somewhat "damaged goods".

Once his confidence was back and he was in a back 3 beside the experienced Crichton, it was the catalyst for turning our defensive troubles around, and a big part of why our circus back 4 became far more solid.

I wish Chris nothing but good luck and hope he kicks on, his fitness is second to none also.

19 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It's the 10th anniversary of our play-off win over Cowdenbeath. Who could forget John Coughlin's side of big lads scrambling their way to promotion?

Pity we wont get that again this season as cowden wont be in the playoffs and we will win the title 

Both of those are absolutely fantastic, think I’ll be buying my first warriors kits in about 20 years after looking at those there.

What a fucking dapper looking bunch of champions we’re gonna be! 

Edit: just had a swatch on the historical kits website to work out what the last one I bought was and reckon it was indeed the Patrick/Highland Express sponsored effort from 1999/2000! 20 year anniversary! 

Edited by Christophe