Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

23 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Five points behind Stranraer in ninth place with six games remaining.

Is it too late for the Warriors?

No: fixtures for both are mostly against teams with something to play for, but the Warriors and Stair Parkers also have incentive in their games.  Stenhousemuir need to take the points on Saturday and hope Montrose do well at the same time, if the 5 point gap is reduced by Saturday 5pm there is an opportunity.

13 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Five points behind Stranraer in ninth place with six games remaining.

Is it too late for the Warriors?

Are we capable of winning two more games than Stranraer in six? Absolutely not. My mindset is we are down and anything above that is now a wild bonus in all honesty.

Does it hurt? Not particularly. I've seen far worse Warriors teams in my time.

I would rather have had the Falkirk game with a sprinkling of the Aberdeen game thrown in as opposed to that not happening and finishing 8th comfortably if given a choice. Who's going to remember another 8th place finish in 20 years time? 

We are a small club with a smaller budget than most at this level we are always likely to fluctuate between the bottom two divisions.

However, if we finish bottom, I look forward to hearing from the board on the ultimate review of what happened to the talented young squad that should have been doing better, according to them when Bomber got sacked. 6 points off the top four at his departure. Now certainty for relegation and 16 points off of top four.

Edited by Neilly

On 27/03/2019 at 11:55, Neilly said:

;Are we capable of winning two more games than Stranraer in six? Absolutely not. My mindset is we are down and anything above that is now a wild bonus in all honesty.

Does it hurt? Not particularly. I've seen far worse Warriors teams in my time.

I would rather have had the Falkirk game with a sprinkling of the Aberdeen game thrown in as opposed to that not happening and finishing 8th comfortably if given a choice. Who's going to remember another 8th place finish in 20 years time? 

We are a small club with a smaller budget than most at this level we are always likely to fluctuate between the bottom two divisions.

However, if we finish bottom, I look forward to hearing from the board on the ultimate review of what happened to the talented young squad that should have been doing better, according to them when Bomber got sacked. 6 points off the top four at his departure. Now certainty for relegation and 16 points off of top four.

You should have attended the AGM last night . That's the place to hear the Board's view into why changes were made to the management team. 

2 hours ago, bologna said:

You should have attended the AGM last night . That's the place to hear the Board's view into why changes were made to the management team. 

Well it’s place to hear the views. Pretty arrogant to state it’s the only place they should be answering to. The point made above by @Neillywas fair and square and as you only ever post on here in some kind of ITK capacity perhaps you should be taking the query on...seeing as you are so defensive about it I’d love to hear it...

Edited by Christophe

I think we can stay up now!
What a brilliant series of results this weekend.
It all depends on how Brechin and Dumbarton do mid week. If they both lose, we should be fine but our next 4 games are against Raith, Airdrie, Forfar and East Fife

Just now, CEMSFC said:
2 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:
I think we can stay up now!
What a brilliant series of results this weekend.

It all depends on how Brechin and Dumbarton do mid week. If they both lose, we should be fine but our next 4 games are against Raith, Airdrie, Forfar and East Fife

Ah. Probably should have read the fixture list before being so bold.

We've been rubbish against Raith Rovers and Forfar Athletic this season but we've beaten Airdrieonians in the last two meetings and we should have taken all three points from East Fife earlier in month.

Hard, but doable.

On 3/31/2019 at 10:54, Gunz said:

Think we need to win 3/5 minimum to have any chance. Been a few times now this season I’ve thought that’s it we’re done and then it looks optimistic again. 

One of the perks of supporting Stenny. It's the hope that kills you. 

On 31/03/2019 at 10:54, Gunz said:

Think we need to win 3/5 minimum to have any chance. Been a few times now this season I’ve thought that’s it we’re done and then it looks optimistic again. 

Projected the bottom four’s final fixtures on the “League 1 squeaky bum battle” thread.

Reckon we need 8 points from the final 5 games to get 8th place. Not sure we have that in us. More realistically I make it 5 points to take our chances in the play-offs. All conjecture of course, based on predicting all the remaining results but I reckon those targets won’t be far away. 

Of the three teams in bother (assuming Dumbarton are too far head of us at least) then we are the ones that are in decent enough form, so three wins SHOULD be enough, bearing in mind one of them will need to be against Brechin on the last day of the season. Defence is pretty solid, so only need to start scoring a bit more. Unfortunately, I fear goal difference might kill us in the end. 

Edited by beaver1

• 2 weeks later...

It says an awful lot about Colin McMenamin or just Stenhousemuir as a club that you've got guys like McGuigan, Marsh, Hurst and Munro signing deals when you don't know what division you'll be in next season. I'd have been quite happy with any of them at the Rock, and there probably isn't a part-time club in the country who wouldn't take McGuigan. In fact with the exception of maybe Alloa, you could probably argue that he'd be in the starting eleven for every part-time club in the SPFL.

Edited by Ross Forbes

It's not been confirmed that Greg Hurst has signed on, but he'd be a definite priority - he's really been excellent since he joined the club in January.

I imagine Mark McGuigan will be relatively well paid, more so after the season he's having, and I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere on this thread but one of the sweeteners when he first joined the club in 2017 was the free use of the Ochilview pitch for his striker coaching. I think he quite likes playing for Stenhousemuir - the past two seasons have been the best of his career, certainly in terms of goals alone, the system we play is designed to get the best out of him, and he's adored by the supporters. I'm not naive enough to imagine Stenny has some kind of emotional pull on him but, at his age, there are a lot of factors to consider.

I recorded a podcast with Grant Anderson last May and he spoke about how "football has to work for [him]" in relation to how it fits around his work commitments and family. He said when he was younger he went the extra mile to accommodate football in his life but now that he's older, it's the other way round, and playing for Stranraer suits him. That might well be the case with McGuigan and Stenny.