Celtic FC Transfer Thread 2015-16

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carlton Cole and representative spotted with John Park at Parkhead today.

Yeah I was suprised to hear this, dont remember him being massively mobile and doesnt seem to have played much over past few seasons.

However our budget will never attract anyone of proven pedigree these days but if he offers something different for us then I wouldn't be adverse to offering him a contract untill the end of the season.

I suppose it depends on how fit he has kept himself during his time without a club, from what I recall of him from West Ham he was a BIG laddie, and I dont just mean tall, it can be the case that guys like him often take a while to get up to match fitness if they've been out for a spell whether it be through injury or whatever.

He's only 31 so in theory should have at least a couple of years left in him at a decent level and would give us an option we havent had probably since the likes of Hartson and JVOH, cant see him being a regular starter but would certainly be a welcome 'plan B' which we seldom seem to have at times. If he is of reasonable fitness and realistic with his wage demands would be a good addition to the squad

I suppose it depends on how fit he has kept himself during his time without a club, from what I recall of him from West Ham he was a BIG laddie, and I dont just mean tall, it can be the case that guys like him often take a while to get up to match fitness if they've been out for a spell whether it be through injury or whatever.

He's only 31 so in theory should have at least a couple of years left in him at a decent level and would give us an option we havent had probably since the likes of Hartson and JVOH, cant see him being a regular starter but would certainly be a welcome 'plan B' which we seldom seem to have at times. If he is of reasonable fitness and realistic with his wage demands would be a good addition to the squad

I can agree with this. Would rather Cole for nowt than Fletcher for a good few million.

• 1 month later...

Do Celtic have a youth policy ? Every year they spunk money on bang average players . Why any parent allows their son to sign for celtic is beyond me. It must send out an horrendous message to the kids who are currently on the books of the club.

We do, and it's been much improved lately. We're sending our best talent out on loan to improve insteading of letting them rot in the reserves. Tierney's impressed at left back, Henderson is doing well at Hibs, Findlay for Killie etc. Hopefully we'll see results over the next couple of years. We don't really have any talent now that could play that target man role though

You can always rely on Celtic to pick up ageing, former (Barclays) Premier League stars.

I liked Carlton Cole - he's a grafter - and he offers Celtic the opportunity to punt high balls forward. It's a bizarre signing though. 32 years old, 5 league goals since the start of 2014, divided the support at his last club*. Looks terrific on paper.

*Fascinating anecdote: West Ham played Birmingham City a few years ago. They were 1-3 down and Carlton Cole raced over to the West Ham support to get the ball. One of the fans picked up the ball, started screaming abuse in his face, then chucked the ball away from Cole. I've not seen anything like that before.

You can always rely on Celtic to pick up ageing, former (Barclays) Premier League stars.

I liked Carlton Cole - he's a grafter - and he offers Celtic the opportunity to punt high balls forward. It's a bizarre signing though. 32 years old, 5 league goals since the start of 2014, divided the support at his last club*. Looks terrific on paper.

*Fascinating anecdote: West Ham played Birmingham City a few years ago. They were 1-3 down and Carlton Cole raced over to the West Ham support to get the ball. One of the fans picked up the ball, started screaming abuse in his face, then chucked the ball away from Cole. I've not seen anything like that before.

Jimmy Boo IMO.

Carlton Cole is huge and will make most Scottish Premiership payers look like midgets.

He will cause no end of problems with his height and strength.

Hopefully he is utter shit, but from a Dundee FC perspective the thought of him challenging any of our centre halves gives me the absolute fear.

ETA I wrote pace instead of strength....

Carlton Cole is huge and will make most Scottish Premiership payers look like midgets.

He will cause no end of problems with his height and pace.

Hopefully he is utter shit, but from a Dundee FC perspective the thought of him challenging any of our centre halves gives me the absolute fear.

He's about the same size as James McPake is he not?

He's about the same size as James McPake is he not?

Na mate, he's a few cm taller in height but the boy is a unit on top of that.

We saw Lukaku at Dens pre season and it was ridiculous the difference between him and those marking him. Carlton Cole is taller than him although not quite as solid.

The players in the premiership are a different breed and forwards like Lukaku, Cole, Zamora, viduka etc that continually bullied centre halves down there will IMO have a field day here.

See John Sutton/Mark viduka as an example.

I'm not comparing Coles ability with Sutton, Lukaku etc, just his height and strength.which will give defenders up here nightmares IMO

The boy Juanma at hearts is doing well and Cole is (or was) a level above him for me.

Na mate, he's a few cm taller in height but the boy is a unit on top of that.

We saw Lukaku at Dens pre season and it was ridiculous the difference between him and those marking him. Carlton Cole is taller than him although not quite as solid.

The players in the premiership are a different breed and forwards like Lukaku, Cole, Zamora, viduka etc that continually bullied centre halves down there will IMO have a field day here.

See John Sutton/Mark viduka as an example.

I'm not comparing Coles ability with Sutton, Lukaku etc, just his height and strength.which will give defenders up here nightmares IMO

The boy Juanma at hearts is doing well and Cole is (or was) a level above him for me.

True. I was thinking more about just general height with McPake and Extabeguren both being around 6'2, but there is more to consider.

Archived