Trident "A disaster waiting to happen"

~~~

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who says Trident is "necessary" is either batshit insane or just a bit dull.

Trident is a "second strike" nuclear weapons programme. That means it's designed to be used in retaliation, when someone else launches nuclear bombs at us. Everyone would agree that in that situation, the world has gone to shit anyway, so what's the point?

The other line is that "it's a deterrent". How many countries have a nuclear weapons programme? Are they all in the same level of danger as a result of not having nuclear weapons? Perhaps if the UK stopped acting like the fucking world police there wouldn't be a perceived requirement for them.

There is only one country that has ever used nuclear missiles and for one very good reason. Everyone else who has them will sit up and take notice regardless of allegiances. It is totally pointless for the UK to retain nukes when the conventional forces are being cut to the bone.

No country will fire nuclear missiles because it will spell the end of the world as we know it. The arguments for them are irrational and daft. America and Russia have enough nukes to kill everybody on this planet many times over and I don't see the likes of Japan or Germany in constant fear of nuclear attack.

Ukraine gains independence from the the former Soviet Union.

Under pressure from Russia (and the US) Ukraine agrees to give up it's massive nuclear arsenal.

If memory serves me correctly in 1994 Ukraine, Russia and the US sign the Budapest Memorandum in which Russia (and the US) promise not to invade or attack Ukraine recognising it's sovereignty.

Ukraine's gives up it's nukes.

Russia invades - type thing.

I really hope you're not trying to suggest that without trident Russia would either invade us or fire nukes at us.

That would be embarrassing if you are

Margaret Thatcher forced François Mitterrand to give her the codes to disable Argentina's deadly French-made missiles during the Falklands war by threatening to launch a nuclear warhead against Buenos Aires, according to a book.

Rendez-vous - the psychoanalysis of François Mitterrand, by Ali Magoudi, who met the late French president up to twice a week in secrecy at his Paris practice from 1982 to 1984, also reveals that Mr Mitterrand believed he would get his "revenge" by building a tunnel under the Channel which would forever destroy Britain's island status.

Leverage

Under pressure from Russia (and the US) Ukraine agrees to give up it's massive nuclear arsenal.

If memory serves me correctly in 1994 Ukraine, Russia and the US sign the Budapest Memorandum in which Russia (and the US) promise not to invade or attack Ukraine recognising it's sovereignty.

I also believe that the treaty also stated that Ukraine wouldn't be trying to join the EU and NATO and that Putin wouldnt expect a strategic NATO port (crimea) on his doorstep. I believe Ukraine are seeking membership of both. Now I have nothing against Ukraine seeking this but I believe Putin sees this as a major threat and a retract on the agreement you mentioned.

I also believe that the treaty also stated that Ukraine wouldn't be trying to join the EU and NATO and that Putin wouldnt expect a strategic NATO port (crimea) on his doorstep. I believe Ukraine are seeking membership of both. Now I have nothing against Ukraine seeking this but I believe Putin sees this as a major threat and a retract on the agreement you mentioned.

I agree but the threat of attacking a nation that is armed with nuclear weapons is clear to any right minded person.

Has Russia threatened Ukraine with nukes ?

so without any concrete evidence to back up this sailors allegations angus Robertson snp Westminster leader has already decided the story is true,nothing like jumping the gun so to speak.

I for one am shocked an SNP politician has expressed worry over the potential for a disaster to befall the country he represents.

Has Russia threatened Ukraine with nukes ?

What about all those other Countries that have a land and/or sea border with the big bad Russians. How will the survive - Norway, Finland, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Iran, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Estonia, Sweden, Mongolia and Japan

Archived