Anti-Scottish Xenophobia/Racism Catalogue

Elixir

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're correct, It should just be ignored. Clearly Jock bashing is acceptable for he media in England, so why complain?

In my opinion, xenophobic idiots like that should be ignored yes. Exactly the same as the anti-English clowns in Scotland. Giving them the attention they crave does no good and just feeds the division they crave. Starting new threads every time some c**t in the Daily Mail spouts this kind of shit does no goo. I pity them. I think a few on here, like the thread starter love this kind of shit though so they can try and emphasis a divide between people.

In my opinion, xenophobic idiots like that should be ignored yes. Exactly the same as the anti-English clowns in Scotland. Giving them the attention they crave does no good and just feeds the division they crave. Starting new threads every time some c**t in the Daily Mail spouts this kind of shit does no goo. I pity them. I think a few on here, like the thread starter love this kind of shit though so they can try and emphasis a divide between people.

So we agree, the English media find it acceptable. Nobody should ever complain.

Err.. Feel free to point out anti English press we have here in Scotland

So we agree, the English media find it acceptable. Nobody should ever complain.

Err.. Feel free to point out anti English press we have here in Scotland

Why would I point it out when my whole post was against people constantly looking for things like this to point out? I would be doing what I was complaining about.

People generally get on and like each other. I don't think highlighting every nutjob writing an article in a rag like the Daily Mail and starting threads about it is a particularly good thing unless you want to create and feed more division. It just feeds a sense of 'us against them'.

Why would I point it out when my whole post was against people constantly looking for things like this to point out? I would be doing what I was complaining about.

People generally get on and like each other. I don't think highlighting every nutjob writing an article in a rag like the Daily Mail and starting threads about it is a particularly good thing unless you want to create and feed more division. It just feeds a sense of 'us against them'.

You make a statement saying the same happens in the Scottish media, I've never seen it. Just asking for you to point this out .

To be honest I don't think it should be ignored. Why do we find it acceptable for newspapers to print inaccuate articles which are designed to incite hatred? If this kind of thing was written by anyone else about England, they would be furious - people just say 'oh it's the Daily Mail what do you expect?' well quite honestly I do expect papers as much as everyone else to have to abide by some sort of journalistic standards, to not actually just be able to print whatever they like unchecked.

A lot of people in this country still take in the media and believe what is said. The media is a powerful industry and influences everything about living here. They should have to have some responsibility for delivering fair and correct messages instead of this pish and we should be asking why are they allowed to act this way without censure instead of just accepting it because thats what makes them money.

From the Sunday Mail:

Here's their piece from 4 June.

• "St George Makes Us Cross (by David Taylor)
  • Five days to go until the greatest show on Earth kicks off. So should we rally round the flag and support England in the World Cup?
  • "Don't talk rubbish" was the literal message as we put Scots to a light-hearted test with a giant England flag yesterday. Talk about showing a red (and white) flag to a bull - we took our St George's cross attached to the bonnet of a parked car round four cities - and in two it was stolen and binned within an hour.
  • In Edinburgh, our flag was trashed after just 17 minutes -while Glasgow punters put up with it for half an hour longer. And in Dundee, lads even gave it a two-finger salute - silly really, as the flag can't answer back. Our completely unscientific survey involved parking the beflagged car in George Square, Glasgow, Leith Walk, Edinburgh, Perth Road, Dundee and Union Street, Aberdeen.
  • Our photographer hid to watch what happened. In Leith, locals were tolerant - for 16 minutes. Then two bare-chested lads ripped it off the bonnet and jogged off to stuff it in one of the city's industrial bins. The flag lasted 50 minutes in Glasgow, although we overheard shouts of "put a brick through the window". Then a young, casually-dressed man detatched the flag, crunched it into a ball and binned it.
  • In Dundee's Perth Road, the flag remained intact for more than two hours. But bizarrely, a group of lads heckled it - and even threw it a V-sign. The flag drew little more than suspicious glances from well- behaved Aberdonians. But it did confuse a parking warden - he was so busy looking at the flag, he forgot to check the car's parking ticket. Maybe he was English...

That is really quite pathetic of the Daily Record. I can just imagine the reporter hiding in a wheelie bin and getting all excited every time someone looked at the flag.

And why does England always take it for granted that we should support them?

http://www.socresonline.org.uk/9/2/mcintosh.html

Good insight into what it is like to be English and live in Scotland. Anti- English sentiment is endemic in Scottish society. It is completely accepted and taken as the norm. Imagine yourself in work, uni, school, pub making a disparaging comment about an ethnic minority group and the response this would likely provoke. Now think about the response if you made the same remark but the English were the subject - the response and acceptability would be completely and utterly different.

:lol:

You don't get it do you?

Find some anti English racism in the Scottish MSM and come back. :)

You make a statement saying the same happens in the Scottish media, I've never seen it. Just asking for you to point this out .

I didn't atall. I mentioned anti-English attention seekers in Scotland. I didn't even mention the media. I'd like to think they're in the minority in both England and Scotland. Stop trying to win the Internet you clown.

Good insight into what it is like to be English and live in Scotland. Anti- English sentiment is endemic in Scottish society. It is completely accepted and taken as the norm. Imagine yourself in work, uni, school, pub making a disparaging comment about an ethnic minority group and the response this would likely provoke. Now think about the response if you made the same remark but the English were the subject - the response and acceptability would be completely and utterly different.

The English-born are by-far Scotland's largest minority grouping. At the 2001 Census, there were 408,948 English-born people in Scotland. The proportion has risen steadily over the years, from 4.4% of the total population in Scotland in 1951 to 7.1% in 1991 to the current figure of 8.1%.

Come on, this is dumb and could apply to any ethnic group in any country in the world. The English are so hated in Scotland that they keep on coming up here. Does not compute.

Cant be any racism in the UK then eh or why would immigrants keep coming here? What an absolutely ridiculous argument.

You're comparing immigrants with English who go and live in Scotland?

Of course anti English sentiment exists. There is anti everything sentiment. It sure as hell isn't endemic though.

Christ there is a fair bit of anti Scottish sentiment in Scotland as we discovered last year during the referendum.

I love the methodology used in that paper. 20% of the sample were known to the researcher, and that 20% got their mates to jump on board. Absolutely nothing suspect about that at all.

30 people out of several hundred thousand English people is a serious amount of extrapolation to tell us that anti English sentiment is rife in Scotland

I am not going to disagree and say there is no anti-english sentiment in Scotland as that would patently be untrue however that really doesn't seem like a very good article.

They only have a sample size of 30 and at least 6 of them seem to already be known to the author. Interviews were carried out in Glasgow/Central Scotland which isn't indicititive of the country as a whole. There is no comparative data with either other minorities in Scotland or with Scotlands reaction compared to that in other countries which is important as all countries will have an element of racist people within their society, it is a question of scale and not does it happen or not? the piece is anecdotal and quotes the likes of the Daily Record (almost as bad as quoting Wikipedia in academic work) again without establishing the scale of this as a problem in Scotland.

It needs to be much better than this to prove anything, all it really does is prove that some Scots are Anti-English.

Archived