The Montrose Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ecfb749daa4804d708128b0a71a6f087.jpg

When you position yourself this far from your own box, conceding a goal from the other half is just a matter of time... Good spot from Watson!

Steeves' strike was top drawer too. Hit it perfectly from my view behind him. Very solid performance, three points and clean sheet. Just had a look back at the last 8 or 9 seasons worth of final league tables and we are looking good to actually get a decent points haul for once.

When you position yourself this far from your own box, conceding a goal from the other half is just a matter of time... Good spot from Watson!

Steeves' strike was top drawer too. Hit it perfectly from my view behind him. Very solid performance, three points and clean sheet. Just had a look back at the last 8 or 9 seasons worth of final league tables and we are looking good to actually get a decent points haul for once.

Jesus Christ Antell.

Great win today for the mo happy days. What a difference we are now under Stewart petrie absolute delighted they way we are playing. Special mention to Paul Watson after that goal today..... Incredible!!

19 hours ago, jd_mo said:

Mr Blobby was the stand out for Edinburgh City IMO (Big white blob in the red seats in the front rows)

I came down to speak to the Montrose photographer after your picture was taken and asked him to get me a couple of good pictures of Calum Antell for the City Fanzine.   I figured it was safe to chat to him after there was a lull in the proceedings. Then your man Watson decided to lob the ball over the top - just at that particular moment in time - and I don't know if the photographer had the time to react and turn round to capture the goal of the season in that split second after I had distracted him. Oops! Time will tell. I did see the ball floating into the goal as I was returning to my seat however.

Your kit man, groundsman and Montrose legend Ron Marquis did find the funnier side of it and I think he was saying to me, "Is that the kind of shot you were after mate!".

Montrose photographer and kit man Ron ticking me off for missing the goal of the season at Links Park.jpg

I should add many thanks to all at Montrose and the British Legion club next door for Mr Blobby's final visit to Links Park yesterday. The staff and security in particular were all very friendly and helpful, just as they were on the first visit on Guy Fawkes day back in November. A credit to League 2. I liked the way you could just walk all the way round the ground and stand or sit where you liked with no segregation of the fans whatsoever, even behind the goals (which some clubs like Annan Athletic for instance frown upon and try to keep away fans out off their covered end at Galabank). Blobby biscuits all around!

PS Cheers for the team sheet too. The Team of Everlasting Shame?

Our co-editor would like to add that some of the singing towards Craig Beattie from the Montrose fans in the corporate seats was a bit naughty and got slightly personal and out of hand. But other than that they were a cheerful, good-natured bunch who gave us all a laugh.

Montrose blobby biscuitDSC00016.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

No. Jesus was playing in goal for the other team... He wasn't very good on crosses and his saves were few and far between. (Jesus that is)

Montrose pieDSC00015.jpg

Former Cowden man the Mo keeper with the Jesus haircut:lol: Did you enjoy that pie:P

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Former Cowden man the Mo keeper with the Jesus haircut:lol: Did you enjoy that pie:P

10 out of 10 for the Mince Pie (£2 each). One of the best in League 2. No Steak Pies or Macaroni Pies on offer but the homemade Lentil soup at £1.50 a cup was OK for the vegetarians amongst us for this visit (sold out after half-time)  The tea got pass marks too. 

I know the Beeb aren't renowned for their reporting of lower league Scottish football or spelling of names. I see how Steeves could be mistyped as "Andrew Stevens" but not quite sure the same could be said for Templeman or "Aiden O'Brien" who got our third.

Any highlights coming on youtube?

One of the things that Edinburgh City's programme editor gets his hair ruffled over (apart from by me) is people using the old Edinburgh City badge. Not only does Ross Pilcher from the Edinburgh Evening News keep on using it. Montrose used it as well in their match day programme. Tut Tut. You'll be hearing from Alick's lawyers in due course :lol:

Mind you, the new badge to me. looks like a pair of underpants at the bottom. The club should have stuck with the original ripply design IMO. (Perhaps Ryan McGinnis from Tayside University will be addressing that very issue in his new design concept for the Lilywhites soon).

Montrose v Edinburgh City April Fools day programme.jpg

Apols fir the typos Mr. Blobby - my fault, not that of the programme editor. Even Spell-checker didn't spot the first one but the away kit error was avoidable. Not my fault about the club badge though but it is rather similar to the old one isn't it? Ok, we should have got it right.

Best wishes,

8 minutes ago, MOFOREVER said:

Apols fir the typos Mr. Blobby - my fault, not that of the programme editor. Even Spell-checker didn't spot the first one but the away kit error was avoidable. Not my fault about the club badge though but it is rather similar to the old one isn't it? Ok, we should have got it right.

Best wishes,

Yes apart from the ripple effect, they both look like underpants. I think it's supposed to represent the castle esplanade.

Edinburgh_City_FC_logo.png

the badge Mr B has posted is the official badge as designed by Kevin Hogg c.1996/7 from a previous badge. The wavy line badge is used by the Edinburgh City youth teams- the Evening News use it as well, the naughty chaps. 

9 times out of 10 that shot is going to sail into Row Z so can't really blame Callum- most keepers come off their line when play is not around their area. Fair do's to the Mo player for having a go and getting a reward though. 

As said, Martin Boyle was capped at Scotland Schoolboy level and played against England at Carlisle United's Brunton Park ground. In total Martin Boyle played four internationals at schoolboy level.
I'm fairly sure the last player to be capped whilst a Montrose player was Les Barr who played at Scotland 'B' level in 1978 against Italy. Montrose were in a golden era at that time.
The only Montrose players ever to be capped at full International level were Sandy Keillor and George Bowman way back in the late 1800's.
As far as I know these are the only Montrose players ever to be capped by Scotland (or any other country) at any level - but I'd love to know if there are others.

Remember the promising young Irish man Jerry O'Driscoll who filled a mo shirt for a while.

Remember the promising young Irish man Jerry O'Driscoll who filled a mo shirt for a while.

This reminds me, I met a chap in a pub in Aberdeen last year who claimed to be Jerry O'Driscoll, I can't remember what he looked like but if it was him he definitely wasn't Irish.

This reminds me, I met a chap in a pub in Aberdeen last year who claimed to be Jerry O'Driscoll, I can't remember what he looked like but if it was him he definitely wasn't Irish.

When he played for the Mo he was overweight, unshaven and hungover.
Sound like him?

Archived