The Montrose Thread

It's a strange situation for us to be in. The thing is even we fans who go to all or most games don't know which is our best team line up. There's been so much tinkering with it that line ups we thought were worrying have done well e'g. at Clyde but the Clyde were awful. Then against Annan we looked to have a strong line up but the referee put paid to any chance for us. SP experimented again at Cowden but although we got the points you could hardly say the line up worked 'cos it was awful hoofball stuff against a very poor Cowden side.
I'm not criticising at all but just thinking what SP might have learned from it all. Certainly yesterday at Cowden he put Paul Watson on for 90 minutes to prove his fitness to have any chance of being offered anything. Iain Campbell got some pitch time for the same reason and Fleming is in goal for the same reason even though SP says it was because Millar made a mistake against Annan. The youngsters yesterday and at Clyde did very well. Getting the balance right between youth and experience is hard and I'd err on the side of experience in this division if we want to get out of it. Bring in the best youngsters of course and after yesterday the best position without doubt for Matty Allan is centre back in the middle. He was outstanding. We'll find it hard to keep Cammy Ballantyne but I hope we do. The flip side is that come the end of the season there will be a rash of u/20 players released by the bigger clubs who can't afford to keep them all. SP must get in there early to get the pick of the bunch AND focus soon on offering pre-contracts to those he wants to keep of youth and experience. IMO we still need a midfield commander who can run the game ragged and most importantly we need to re-vamp our strike force which has IMO been our weak point this season as we don't hold the ball up front long enough. 
As for Arbroath next week I think SP should stick with the three centre backs along with the two overlapping full backs Steeves and Ballantyne. In fact I'd start with the same eleven with maybe Millar back in goal (especially at Gayfield) and maybe Matty Smith in for Gary Fraser - but 50/50 on that. Pressure is on Arbroath to win it and our job is to give nowt away cheaply, then hit them when it hurts. No probs for me if the Smokies get promoted later though.

I think we will tinker in a lot of games due to work being done on the opposition and highlighting where we can maybe have a advantage. At this level where small measures make a big difference this has proved key so far with the wins we have had.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Judge said:

I think we will tinker in a lot of games due to work being done on the opposition and highlighting where we can maybe have a advantage. At this level where small measures make a big difference this has proved key so far with the wins we have had.

Good point you make; there's more to it than I thought. We just aren't used to it. Interesting to see how we line up against our dear friends from down the road. Doubt if Fraser will be in goal though as 1320 hopes for!!

Cammy Ballantyne called up to the Scotland u21 squad for Tuesday night. Excellent for him!

Superb, well done to Cammy. Has been superb since Petrie was appointed. Will be missed next season but hope he gets a chance in Utd first team then.

On 3/25/2017 at 00:57, Aidan said:

Cammy Ballantyne called up to the Scotland u21 squad for Tuesday night. Excellent for him!

I'm photographing the 21s game tonight and wondered - who was the last Montrose player to get international recognition at 21s or older level?

Good point you make; there's more to it than I thought. We just aren't used to it. Interesting to see how we line up against our dear friends from down the road. Doubt if Fraser will be in goal though as 1320 hopes for!!

If Fraser was in goals we would've won. [emoji24]

I'm photographing the 21s game tonight and wondered - who was the last Montrose player to get international recognition at 21s or older level?

I have absolutely no idea if I'm being honest, I'll find out though.

Martin Boyle 100% for Scottish schoolboys, remember watching him on Sky Sports coverage of Victory Shield U16's matches. Not so sure about higher levels though.

As said, Martin Boyle was capped at Scotland Schoolboy level and played against England at Carlisle United's Brunton Park ground. In total Martin Boyle played four internationals at schoolboy level.

I'm fairly sure the last player to be capped whilst a Montrose player was Les Barr who played at Scotland 'B' level in 1978 against Italy. Montrose were in a golden era at that time.

The only Montrose players ever to be capped at full International level were Sandy Keillor and George Bowman way back in the late 1800's.

As far as I know these are the only Montrose players ever to be capped by Scotland (or any other country) at any level - but I'd love to know if there are others.

Michael Craig was capped at under 21 level not long before he signed for the Mo. I can't think of anyone who was actually capped while on our books.

How many former Mo players have been capped at full level while at other clubs? The only ones I can think of offhand would be Doug Rougvie and David Robertson. There are bound to be others...

Michael Craig was capped at under 21 level not long before he signed for the Mo. I can't think of anyone who was actually capped while on our books.
How many former Mo players have been capped at full level while at other clubs? The only ones I can think of offhand would be Doug Rougvie and David Robertson. There are bound to be others...

Craig Forsyth an Cammy Bell with Scotland, Marvin Andrews with Trinidad and Tobago and Kangana N'Diwa with Congo are 4 that I can think of straight away.

20 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

I'm fairly sure the last player to be capped whilst a Montrose player was Les Barr who played at Scotland 'B' level in 1978 against Italy. Montrose were in a golden era at that time.

I thought there was one about then and Les Barr definitely rings a bell

David Worral briefly played for us after being released by Dundee and I think he was an international for the Republic of Ireland. He had to retire after an illness. Not sure how long ago but was within last 10 years. On the other hand, at my age, could be speaking waaaasssshhhhh!

Craig Forsyth an Cammy Bell with Scotland, Marvin Andrews with Trinidad and Tobago and Kangana N'Diwa with Congo are 4 that I can think of straight away.

Steven Tweed was capped for Scotland at least once, I remember watching him play against N.Ireland.

David Worral briefly played for us after being released by Dundee and I think he was an international for the Republic of Ireland. He had to retire after an illness. Not sure how long ago but was within last 10 years. On the other hand, at my age, could be speaking waaaasssshhhhh!

Steven Tweed was capped for Scotland at least once, I remember watching him play against N.Ireland.

David Worrell and Steven Tweed were both capped by their respective nations B teams, but never received full caps.

Archived