The Montrose Thread

I was at the game last night, the refereeing really annoyed me because of the inconsistency shown at two particular incidents. The first was the County player who quite clearly told the ref to "f**k right off" on the first half, no booking. Yet a Montrose booking in the 90th minute for the same thing? 

The second incident is the one mentioned involving Hay getting a yellow and then (I think) Dow not receiving a yellow for a worse foul. 

6-0 flattered County but they were very impressive. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I was at the game last night, the refereeing really annoyed me because of the inconsistency shown at two particular incidents. The first was the County player who quite clearly told the ref to "f**k right off" on the first half, no booking. Yet a Montrose booking in the 90th minute for the same thing? 

The second incident is the one mentioned involving Hay getting a yellow and then (I think) Dow not receiving a yellow for a worse foul. 

6-0 flattered County but they were very impressive. 

How is CJ doing? Has he scored yet?

How is CJ doing? Has he scored yet?

Not impressed so far but will reserve judgement fully until the league season starts. We have only scored a penalty in four friendlies and two cup games so not been great and created very little either.

What's the chances of getting Ballantyne and Smith back from utd for a month or two... Really need a proper right back, webby is trying his best but he ain't a right back for me. Same with Paul Watson anywhere near the defence is a no no for me, if he is to play has to be centre midfield. Hopefully Dillon might have a word with McKinnon and get a few boys on loan again if we can't find anyone else.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

What's the chances of getting Ballantyne and Smith back from utd for a month or two... Really need a proper right back, webby is trying his best but he ain't a right back for me. Same with Paul Watson anywhere near the defence is a no no for me, if he is to play has to be centre midfield. Hopefully Dillon might have a word with McKinnon and get a few boys on loan again if we can't find anyone else.

Completely agree. I'd like to think SP is working his socks off on these issues but I think it will have to be loans at this stage of the season. I thought the young Aberdeen side had some useful lads, such as the big centre back and at least one of the strikers. Smith might be a possibility at Dee Utd but think he'll be aiming at a L1 club and only come back to us as a last resort. Cammy is a no-no I think as I just can't see him not being in the Dee Utd first team squad or going to a L1 or championship club. Coming back to us would not progress his career in their eyes even though I, like you feel he would be better here playing week in week out in hopefully a winning side rather than warming a bench somewhere chaffing at the bit.

Completely agree. I'd like to think SP is working his socks off on these issues but I think it will have to be loans at this stage of the season. I thought the young Aberdeen side had some useful lads, such as the big centre back and at least one of the strikers. Smith might be a possibility at Dee Utd but think he'll be aiming at a L1 club and only come back to us as a last resort. Cammy is a no-no I think as I just can't see him not being in the Dee Utd first team squad or going to a L1 or championship club. Coming back to us would not progress his career in their eyes even though I, like you feel he would be better here playing week in week out in hopefully a winning side rather than warming a bench somewhere chaffing at the bit.

Yeah think it will be loans aswell to be honest. It's funny you said that I thought the bigger of the two centre backs for the dons was a good player also. Am pretty sure Dillon having trained with most of the utd youngsters will know a player that might come in handy. Couldn't make the game last night, where was Matty Alan?

Yeah think it will be loans aswell to be honest. It's funny you said that I thought the bigger of the two centre backs for the dons was a good player also. Am pretty sure Dillon having trained with most of the utd youngsters will know a player that might come in handy. Couldn't make the game last night, where was Matty Alan?

Matty injured along with Danny Cavannagh, Jamie Redman and Ryan Ferguson

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Both have played in the friendlies but Cammy is 3rd choice right back, and matty is 4th choice striker. So could see us keeping them till January then maybe putting them out on loan if they don't play much.

But think we might try put them on loan to a lower league championship team (brechin) or probably a league one team.

Kieran mcwalter would have been a good choice right back till we got a replacement, always thought he gave 100% when he played. Was on trial at forfar not sure where he is now though.

11 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Kieran mcwalter would have been a good choice right back till we got a replacement, always thought he gave 100% when he played. Was on trial at forfar not sure where he is now though.

Played for Broughty as a trialist on Tuesday, hoping he signs as I think he'd be excellent at that level.

Played for Broughty as a trialist on Tuesday, hoping he signs as I think he'd be excellent at that level.

Be a brilliant signing for the fed. Where was he playing?

3 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Be a brilliant signing for the fed. Where was he playing?

Fairly sure he was playing in the middle of the park but can't say for certain as I was in Alloa for our game.

Hope you guys have some players to bring in as on yesterday's showing you could be in trouble again.

Surprised to read that. On the day that Montrose announced about 10 signings, I was impressed with the players that had brought in and like the rest of the league, I was also impressed by the job that Petrie has done so far.

I see on the SPFL website that you have signed Connor McLaren. That's not a bad signing for you. We had him on loan last season and although he didn't light up any trees, he was steady and reliable enough at this level.

I think once we get bolo back fit and have him and Dillon at centre half we will be fine. Hopefully have a right back by then aswell, if not I'd move Terry masson back into right back. Also think Jamie redman will be a big player for us this season, I'd start with him and foxy personally in the centre midfield. Saturday was grim at times but I'm pretty sure sp will get it right one way or the other.

Think a few of your players look really unfit. 4 and 6 on Saturday made Ryan McCord (who was playing his first minutes after his holiday) look like Mo Farah. I called yesterday after seeing you lot against Hibs...

Redman and Allan should make a positive difference.

Well that was a nice win tonight but god awful having to 'watch' it on minute by minute text. Was the only League Cup game I missed but for all the previous games/results were dire I can tell you it's even worse not being at the game.

Anyway a wins a win and hopefully a confidence booster going into the more important league fixtures. Noticed no Templeman tonight. Hopefully not injured but SP maybe going for more pace up top. IMO we should go 4-3-3 as we usually bypass midfield anyway. We need wide men up front and a man in the middle with midfielders backing up for the second ball. Webby will never be a RB but might do a better job wide right up front. Foxy needs to be a bit fitter as with him and Watson in midfield we lack pace but I'm sure SP is aware of that. Hope Matty Allan and Jamie Redman are back soon and that Bolo comes back at the right time.

Feel a bit better tonight and will feel even better if we get at least a point against Edin City though we should be looking for all three. 

Brilliant team performance tonight loads better than the last games. Two young boy's played out their skin, special mention for Kerr hay aswell caused all sorts of problems.

Archived