The Montrose Thread

Now that we've confirmed our league status for next year after that horrible squeaky bum experience of the play-offs, let's look forward to next season. Surely we don't want to go through that again? Can we retain Hegarty and Holt? How about Woody and marvelous Marvin? Who do you think we should sign, re-sign or let go?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H&H staying on would be a boost

I appreciate Marvins influence but I dont think he will be here next year; too old, and has a knack of doing something great and then something catastrophic a few mins later in each game.

I see us starting from scratch. Id try to keep Moyes And maybe a few of the others as squad players (Watson, maybe Crawford). I think a lot of the players that have been with us a few years now have too much baggage. Clean start needed for them and us.

Its very clear that we need a few "winners" in the spine of the team.

Word on the street is that the management will remain in place and the bloated squad will be gutted with possibly only a half dozen or so surviving the cull.

The new squad will be around 14 with 6 youth players from utd making up the rest.

The Wolecki-esque gutting of the squad and replacing with local based juniors is unlikely to happen. He should have been given more time (and respect) but I fear the pyramid will see many teams around us paying out for more senior players to stay out of 10th. This, for us, would be at the expense of bringing through the products of fairly decent youth programmes at 14s and 17s and for similar set ups across the lower half of League 2.

Interesting times ahead.

gone: McKenzie to Cove, Woody's destination not sure but that was his last game for the club. A good way to finish.

Jon Crawford has options but would I think be open to re-signing.

I would keep Masson, try to get Steeves back if Forfar release him, keep Moyes, and Paul Watson; Ross Campbell will stay I think.

Key thing of course if to make sure H&H are in place. They have earned a crack at next season if they want it, and after yesterday i think they will stay on. There are various meetings at LP this week so it should all become clearer by Friday / Saturday.

An interesting summer lies ahead indeed.

The Wolecki-esque gutting of the squad and replacing with local based juniors is unlikely to happen. He should have been given more time (and respect) but I fear the pyramid will see many teams around us paying out for more senior players to stay out of 10th. This, for us, would be at the expense of bringing through the products of fairly decent youth programmes at 14s and 17s and for similar set ups across the lower half of League 2.

Interesting times ahead.

I reckon with Hegarty and Holt there is easier access to a better pedigree of player, so you could get away with running a scythe through the team if they stay on.

Would also say that half a dozen tops will be kept from the current lot, the players with poor attitudes etc will all be shot out.

Reading in the courier and it sounds as heggy and holty will be at lp next year.Hope the board back them and try and bring in the calibre of players they are looking for.Must keeps for me would be scott johnson,johnny crawford,paul watson,terry masson,Andy steeves would like to keep stuart mckenzie but beleive he is off would maybe give moyes a contract too.Not too fussed about the rest to be fair think it could be time for a good clear out.Potential targets....paul mcmanus injured i know but can bang in the goals when fit.greg cameron would have him back at lp good tidy player on the ball.Hopefully a decent few loan signings this year aswell last year was hopeless apart from cameron :thumsup2

Think Allan is a good player but questions over his attitude?? Steeves I'd take. Declan Milne to step up to squad.

Not sure about taking all 4 of SJ, PW, JC, TM. I think we need freshened up all over the park; these guys are good guys and I like them as players but they have got a number of years losing baggage.

Rumour has it that we are using the blue and white one for home games and yours for away games and vice-versa - cost cutting or just to keep the Monbroath brigade happy and give them something to rabbit on about during the summer.

Archived