The Montrose Thread

We still need to sort out the right back slot and also need a striker and that's why SP was after Swankie. For me am glad that didn't happen but am sure we will see a striker in soon, whether it's a permanent deal or on loan. Will injuries and holidays the gaffer has not much choice but to fill the gaps. League most important and sure the team will come together by then.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Brechin game will be a good indicator of where we are. They're at the level that we should be aspiring to so we'll see how far we still have to go.

Well said Sir!!

Anyone know why Timmy Mallett posted photos of himself at Links Park yesterday?

Doing some charity thing. Was at Gayf and Forthbank too.

Yeah, some kind of charity trip. Was at Forthbank and Ochilview yesterday according to his Twitter.

4 hours ago, hedgeman83 said:

Looking forward to the game today used to love a trip to links park. think we will be in for a tough game Montrose looked good at the end of last season hope you keep it up this season and make a real go of it

A lot of first team regulars missing & youth players filling the gaps. I don't think today will be any real indication of how we will be over the coming season.

A lot of first team regulars missing & youth players filling the gaps. I don't think today will be any real indication of how we will be over the coming season.

Hope that's not a indication of the season ahead as that was poor. Brechin not much better. Lot of players missing. Keiran Thomson looks the part in the middle of the park so hope he gets a chance around the 1st team this season. Next game up vs Dons select team. Need to build up bit of confidence before the cup games start. Won't be there but hopefully get a win.

7 hours ago, Judge said:

Hope that's not a indication of the season ahead as that was poor. Brechin not much better. Lot of players missing. Keiran Thomson looks the part in the middle of the park so hope he gets a chance around the 1st team this season. Next game up vs Dons select team. Need to build up bit of confidence before the cup games start. Won't be there but hopefully get a win.

Brechin were miles better and could ve stepped up the pace ( not often i ve said that) so don t slag us up ...You guys were understrength and played schoolboys so were alway s up against it . Both teams will improve but good luck to Montrose

Disjointed sort of game yesterday like the last two really. Good run out for the young lads that's about it really pre season is a boring old time in my eyes . 100% need another striker andy a new right back. Think it will be the loan market now as we don't seem to have any trialists. Anyone seen big Templeman???

Saturday was a good reminder of why I don't usually bother with PSF's, very dull and we didn't learn terribly much. Roll on next month....

Very true get this cup thing out the way and concentrate on the league.

PSFs: I remember a beautiful midweek summer evening at LP when the Dons paid us a visit. There was a reasonable-sized crowd. I don't remember much about the game itself but the evening had a touch of a holiday atmosphere about it. There was football and unlike in the league, losing by two or three goals wasn't a big deal.

Maybe golfers would have enjoyed a summer evening out on a fairway more, but for me it wasn't a bad use of time at all.

That said, it will probably be Baltic and hissing it down with rain the night!

Getting a wee bit worried about our threadbare squad and lack of goals - six games in - six straight defeats and only one goal scored from the penalty spot against non-league opposition.
Here's hoping we see some new faces in the next couple of weeks.

Yes have to agree. Need to get a right back sorted out. Get Watson back into midfield and get another attacker in as we lack that cutting edge so far. We will be fine once we sign another couple and get over our injury problems. Roll on the League campaign.

9 hours ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

Getting a wee bit worried about our threadbare squad and lack of goals - six games in - six straight defeats and only one goal scored from the penalty spot against non-league opposition.

Here's hoping we see some new faces in the next couple of weeks.

I agree. The bizarre thing is, I've always found that a good pre-season is followed by a bad season, and vice versa. Let's hope that's the case again this season. No one will remember these games if we have a good league campaign.

These early defeats are a bit demoralising but hopefully the manager is pushing hard to get these desperately needed extra players in. We were never going to win last night but a 0-6 home defeat is chronic regardless of the opposition.

Yes 0-6 at home is hard to take but have to say Ross County approached the game in a very professional manner, not at all like a pre-season run out. The consolation for me was that we will have or should have learned a lot from that game. I know they had better players on the pitch but it was their movement on and off the ball which was eye boggling. When they moved the ball up field there was always several attacking options for them. Their midfield followed up and they all moved up and down the pitch as a team and a well drilled unit. When your midfield move like that along with overlapping defenders you always have a much better chance of getting the second ball or even the third ball as happened with their goal just before half time. They had 5 or 6 players in and around our box when attacking.

Compare that with the way we play even allowing for the quality of the opposition. We have very few attacking options and rarely have bodies in and around the box to pick up the pieces. Can't say I have an immediate solution but SP has to work on it.

On the bright side young Kerr Hay looked the part and hopefully against teams in our own league we will grind out low scoring wins - but if we don't find the scoring touch we might also grind out low scoring defeats.

A word about the referees against Hibs and Ross County. Both Premier League referees I think and overall much better but I did think they both tended to give the better to the premier sides. For instance at Hibs there was no need to book young Thompson and the penalty at that stage of the game was harsh. Last night young Hay was booked for a tangle with the annoying (but good player) Gardyne. No suggestrion of booking Gardyne for his part in it. Then later on when Hay was hacked down (was it Gardyne again) there was no hint of a booking yet one of our lads got booked for protesting about it! The penalty?? Not sure, might have been right but from where I was it looked like a dive - might be wrong there and overall certainly no complaint about the result. A fine performance by Ross County.

Archived