The Montrose Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys found another magic money tree? [emoji6]

No. They just had a coaching role to offer.

Dillon lives in the area and will have made a pretty penny from football, part time coaching youngsters and part time coaching and playing with Montrose will help him massively I imagine. He'll have a coaching role at United within 5 year.

"Pretty Penny" he would have made more as a sparky playing part time on the side.

Average wage for a first team player at United is/was nearly 2k a week according to 2015 figures. There'll have been some guys in the first team squad on poor wages bringing that down too. He was 10 year there and captain for a period through an extremely successful spell. Talking about 100k a year ffs.

Murray was on 950 plus bonuses, about 1.2 a week. He should've just stayed with us and kept up his plumbing.... [emoji85]

You guys found another magic money tree? [emoji6]

No. They just had a coaching role to offer.

Dillon lives in the area and will have made a pretty penny from football, part time coaching youngsters and part time coaching and playing with Montrose will help him massively I imagine. He'll have a coaching role at United within 5 year.

Average wage for a first team player at United is/was nearly 2k a week according to 2015 figures. There'll have been some guys in the first team squad on poor wages bringing that down too. He was 10 year there and captain for a period through an extremely successful spell. Talking about 100k a year ffs.

Murray was on 950 plus bonuses, about 1.2 a week. He should've just stayed with us and kept up his plumbing.... [emoji85]

From what I'm told it's a bit of both. There's been extra money put in and the guys that have invested it are taking a bit of a risk. They are all on the board and they are investing on the basis that we will meet our 5 year objective, which will result in them making the money back.

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

From what I'm told it's a bit of both. There's been extra money put in and the guys that have invested it are taking a bit of a risk. They are all on the board and they are investing on the basis that we will meet our 5 year objective, which will result in them making the money back.

Its not an investment for the guys putting the money in, its a gift to to the club an investment is made in the hope you will make money that will never happen at this level of football no matter what the 5 year plan says, but fair play to the guys helping out the club think Montrose & their fans deserve some success its been very hard times last 20 odd years being a Montrose fan . You have in my opinion the best chairman of the Angus clubs who also deserves success he has given a lot of time to the club he loves. Good luck the MO this year

On 02/07/2017 at 03:52, Aidan said:

They are all on the board and they are investing on the basis that we will meet our 5 year objective, which will result in them making the money back

Out of interest, what is the 5 year objective? I have absolutely no idea how anyone investing in Montrose (or pretty much any other team in Scottish football) would genuinely expect to get the money back at any point....

Out of interest, what is the 5 year objective? I have absolutely no idea how anyone investing in Montrose (or pretty much any other team in Scottish football) would genuinely expect to get the money back at any point....

Never heard of any 5 year objective if I'm honest.

See Dick splashed the cash and signed Swankie.

What's for you won't go by you, and judging by some of the Smokie responses on P. & B. not a universally welcomed signing for them.

Getting a player in the later stages of career, obviously a gamble: Indian summer - not a whippet but otherwise in the best sense, the finished article, or alternatively, finished, as in clapped out fart-bag that couldn't give a toss...

Most likely somewhere in between these extremes.

See Dick splashed the cash and signed Swankie.
What's for you won't go by you, and judging by some of the Smokie responses on P. & B. not a universally welcomed signing for them.
Getting a player in the later stages of career, obviously a gamble: Indian summer - not a whippet but otherwise in the best sense, the finished article, or alternatively, finished, as in clapped out fart-bag that couldn't give a toss...
Most likely somewhere in between these extremes.

Still would have added a bit more quality to our squad we have not? Glad we never paid £8k though.

Having seen both friendlies so far I'm not too impressed to be honest.  True some players are yet to return from hols such as Sanny and Steeves plus Bolo and Matty Allan injured but the same old failings are still there. We just are not potent enough up front and we are wide open at the back. The return of Foxy, Redman, Allan, Steeves and Sanny will make a difference as will playing against teams from our own division but I'd just like to see a bit more cohesion and unity about the team. We have just two friendlies left (and they are toughies) before the competitive stuff starts. I just hope I'm being too pessimistic and will be hopelessly wrong and that all will be tickety-boo come 5/August away at Ainslie Park.

WE NEED A STRIKER.

Having seen both friendlies so far I'm not too impressed to be honest.  True some players are yet to return from hols such as Sanny and Steeves plus Bolo and Matty Allan injured but the same old failings are still there. We just are not potent enough up front and we are wide open at the back. The return of Foxy, Redman, Allan, Steeves and Sanny will make a difference as will playing against teams from our own division but I'd just like to see a bit more cohesion and unity about the team. We have just two friendlies left (and they are toughies) before the competitive stuff starts. I just hope I'm being too pessimistic and will be hopelessly wrong and that all will be tickety-boo come 5/August away at Ainslie Park.
WE NEED A STRIKER.

You got one from us [emoji57]

The young lad kieran has done very well looks a good neat player. Not been too impressed either but I think it's more where the players are playing for me. Last two games we have had 5-6 players playing out of position,which I know it's pre season and you can change things about but Paul Watson Centre half, webby right back, callaghan at left back just seems a bit odd. Like I said pre season is for trying new things but with a week or so to go before out first game I would think he would start playing the players in the correct positions.

Archived