The Montrose Thread

Last season the team scored 44 goals with 53 against. I guess when looking at Elgin and others scoring 60+ it suggests the lack of goals could be a problem.

If you looking at the following; Pre 4/12/2016 (Mgr, PH) Home goals for = 5, goals against = 12; Away goals for = 9 goals against = 13

Post 4/12/2016 (Mgr, SP) Home goals for = 17 Home goals against = 18; Away goals for = 13 goals against = 10

Looks like home defensive record needs to improve and goals for needs to aim at 60+ for season 2017-2018. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think both above posters are right. If you offer more threat up front then the opposition are more wary of pushing up and that takes the pressure off your defence. That I think was our problem in home games last season. We tried to push up top but were not a good enough threat and consequently the opposition sussed us out and took advantage. Annan were a perfect example of doing that. Away from home we defended strongly without leaving so many gaps at the back and midfield (except at Annan!), then scored on the break as the home team left gaps by pushing up. So the second poster is right on that basis but the first poster is right on the 'home' record basis. We need both a tight defence and a sharp threat up top. Not rocket science but hard to achieve  - essential though if you want promotion.

Another example of threat up top is Elgin last season. First half of the season they were flying as Sutherland was scoring for fun. That took the pressure off their defence. Second half of the season he was crocked, they lost their threat, the defence came under more pressure and they went tits up. 

For anybody who hasn't yet been to Forthbank you now have three chances this season - we've got them away in the League Challenge Cup. Anyway, I hope we take it seriously as I seem to remember going to Morton in the semi-final a good few years back and you have to get that far before it gets modestly interesting. Still, at least we didn't get drawn against a Colts team.

25 minutes ago, MOFOREVER said:

For anybody who hasn't yet been to Forthbank you now have three chances this season - we've got them away in the League Challenge Cup. Anyway, I hope we take it seriously as I seem to remember going to Morton in the semi-final a good few years back and you have to get that far before it gets modestly interesting. Still, at least we didn't get drawn against a Colts team.

Yeah. I remember that game. A pissing wet Tuesday evening circa 1992. 

It was a far bigger crowd than these games attract now. There must have been about 200 mo fans and about 5000 home supporters. Kevin Keegan was at the match to check out Alex Mathie and the locals were chanting "Keegan Keegan get tae f**k" for the whole 90 minutes. It was one of the best atmospheres I've seen at a game. :lol:

Cove Rangers at home tonight in a pre-season game. Get along there if you can to show SP and the lads that we will be right there along with them this season. Might be the usual pissing about with substitutions etc. but the main thing is pitch time for the lads and as far as we fans are concerned, demonstrating that we are all in in together.

Archived