The Montrose Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Montrose always seem to produce a feisty draw at Annan when everyone expects them to get horsed.

Annan have been really pish this season, if not quite as pish as us.

I expect a blank scoreline in a bone-chillingly cold ninety minute festival of incompetence.

Half-Time:  Annan 1-2 Montrose  (Just when you say, this has goalless draw written all over it, the goals flood in lol.)

The Edinburgh Evening News bumped up the crowd a bit "888". lol. It looks like 3 Mr Blobbys all in a row. Maybe they had a sense of humour and did the typo error on purpose.

Both Webster and Gregor Anderson had late efforts as the Gable Endies sought an equaliser but were unable to breach an excellent City defence.

Montrose: Fleming, Ballantyne, I Campbell, Masson, Anderson, Steeves, Ferguson (Hynd 70), McWalter, Court, Templeman (R Campbell 70), Webster (Watson 89). Subs: Millar, Lennie, Pascazio.

Edinburgh City: Stobie, Dunsmore, Harrison, Mbu, McKee, Laird, McFarland, Gair, McConnell (Muhsin 84), Beattie (Allum 23), See (Guthrie 90). Subs: Antell, Caddow, Cummings, Paterson.

Referee: David Munro

Attendance: 888

Source: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lower-leagues/edinburgh-city/edinburgh-city-glad-to-prove-critics-wrong-with-historic-win-1-4279661

Very good result. Nice to see Watson back in the XI and contributing too.

Looking like another season of consistent inconsistency, then. That won't get H&H sacked, though probably won't win them a new deal either. Hopefully carry the momentum onto the weekend.

For the few of us who went, well me anyway, it was a very gutsy performance tonight. Great to see Paul Watson back as I think a fit Watson adds a lot to our midfield. Pity McWalter went off injured and we missed him just when Annan started to run the game before they had a man sent off. Even when we were under the cosh late on we still looked a threat up front for a change and it paid off when Bolo swept in a right wing cross in the 87th minute. Bolo played in midfield when he came on so not to upset the back line and pushed up well in support hence his late goal. The Mo crowd, well me, went wild.

F---ing cold night and pitch covered in snow by the end but who cares - it's 3 points to the Mo. See you Saturday at the Cowden Maracana.

Montrose got out of jail tonight.

1st. half Annan never got of gear & Montrose deservedly went in 2-1 up.

2nd. half Annan came out all guns blazing pulling back the equaliser just after the sending off ( too far away to really comment on.Then battered Montrose with a shot cleared off the line and another off the post.

God only knows what happened with the late winner -  Swinglehurst was off the pitch at the dugout yet his replacement appeared not to be ready so down to 9 men & Montrose capitalised.

Fairly entertaining game in rapidly deteriorating weather.

WELL supported MOFOREVER

This game was a good advert for summer football. Increasingly brutal weather conditions and fairly brutal football on display.

Annan started the game the brighter side but with little to show for it except a header that flashed past the post. Montrose took the lead through a well struck free kick that though hit straight at the keeper the goalie somehow managed to avoid. Mo we're two up shortly after with Watson powering a header in from a corner.

Soon after Annan pulled one back from a well taken free kick that shot into the corner of the goal.

The second half started with Annan playing with much greater intensity and urgency. Dominating the play they had a header cleared off the line and then a point blank shot ricochet back off the inside of the post. It looked only a matter of time before the equaliser would come. Then there was the game's turning point - the sending off. The Annan player made a late aerial challenge while leading with his elbow.

Despite this Annan got level through a deflected shot and all was set up for a grandstand finish.

The game could have gone either way but a collision of heads in the box led one of the Annan defenders to have to go off the field. While off the park the ball was swung in from the right and slotted home by Bolo.

Despite being fairly eye-bleeding stuff in terms of quality it was a strangely compelling game.

Montrose were not great but competed well and never gave up. Watson played well in midfield and showed some good composure before eventually tiring. Up front however there was no holding up of the ball and precious few serious attempts on goal.

I thought Annan were also poor and on this evidence may well find themselves embroiled in the relagation/play off dog fight.

Montrose got a little bit of the fortune that eluded them on Saturday and returned north with the only thing that mattered - 3 points!

Scott Hynd has had his loan deal terminated. Seemed to be quite highly rated by the Alloa fans so I'm not sure why he's been unable to break into the first team more, but wish him all the best.

The set up is all wrong bringing young players in and not giving them a chance. Greg sitting on the bench who played well last season and at the start of the season. He can't even get on as a sub now. Jordan Millar sitting on the bench while Fleming flaps at every corner and cross. Going by what I was told he was shocking at Annan and never came for a single ball. Paul Watson is just getting his first start for weeks against Annan when he is one of the most consistent players

Archived