The Montrose Thread

I've seen this season 100 times before.

Flatter to deceive in one of the cup games (Ross Co.), out both diddy cups before the end of August, poor results in the main see the manager sacked by mid-November (Hegarty won't survive too many more performances like that, even with a board where the majority were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at the beginning of the season), new man comes in talking about youth development, plenty of potential and nurturing a winning mentality, but calling for patience as this will now be a transitional season, empties a complacent squad in January, survival guaranteed with three games to go thanks to the shortcomings of others. (probably Edinburgh, maybe Cowdenbeath).

You *could* build a promotion challenging team around Millar (who isn't getting a game), Steeves, and Gary Fraser. I can't see Templeman lasting another season at this level. The trouble is the rest of the squad. The bare bones of this squad joined in Steven Tweed's / Jinky's time and keep getting new deals despite season after season of shite. Beyond those three names (with the possible addition of Pascazio and Graham Webster), there needs to be a complete clear out and re-build. The bizarre failure of successive managements to grasp that nettle has led us to where we are now- a squad full of duds no one else wants playing at half throttle.

Hegarty and Holt deserve credit for steering us through the club's darkest hour in early summer 2015. But their utter failure to deal properly in the transfer market means that a potential legacy of increased interest in the club, higher gates, and building towards sustained better displays in the league, has been squandered completely. I refrain from commenting on individual performances as I can't really go much this season due to work commitments, but even if I were in the town most weekends at a loose end I'd be picking and choosing games very carefully. Whilst the management has to take the flak for some atrocious performances and bizarre team lines /formations, the players should not get off scot free either. Ultimately it's down to them.

It's like the Scotland situation, too. Who will come in and do a better job even if it is now obvious that the current mangement's days are numbered? How many managers have MFC been through in the last twenty years with barely a sniff of success? Some names from the past- Hall, Jinky himself, Jim Weir- are not bad managers. Yet the endless cycle of failure continues.

The club has to ask itself why this cycle keeps happening, and work out how to fix it if we are ever to get out of this repetitious cycle. A bit of understanding as to what the point of the club is in 2016 would also help. There are some good things going on- the work of the Links Park Community Trust is really excellent and recognised nationally as such- the trouble is that an endlessly chronic first team threatens to be toxic weedkiller for such promising initiatives.

I make no apology for wanting to see a successful first team on the park challenging for promotion. We are no nearer achieving that than we were when the final whistle went in the home game against Brora.

That's not good enough. Time for fundamental changes which will see the club actually progress, on the park as well as off it.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ivo you're bang on with your comments and I agree totally with you. Maybe it's time to bring in someone like Keith Gibson as he seems to be getting good results with broughty athletic and would probably want to make a name for himself as a manager in the scottish leagues. Of course there will be other names mentioned for the job so who does everyone else think should come in ??????????

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why did you sign so many players from last season?

I said this at the time and sure Mo fans were defending it

I take your point Lichtie but we had a rough spell of injuries as a result of the Lothian Thistle cup games and that knocked us for six. Prior to that we were doing Ok and in the top 2 or 3 early on. I think the feeling was once the key injured players returned we maybe only needed 3 or 4 key positions filled. As it's turning out we might well have been wrong. Mind you we were buzzing after the Forfar game a couple of weeks ago - not just now though.

Are you lot turning the corner after beating Forfar do you think?

I take your point Lichtie but we had a rough spell of injuries as a result of the Lothian Thistle cup games and that knocked us for six. Prior to that we were doing Ok and in the top 2 or 3 early on. I think the feeling was once the key injured players returned we maybe only needed 3 or 4 key positions filled. As it's turning out we might well have been wrong. Mind you we were buzzing after the Forfar game a couple of weeks ago - not just now though.

Are you lot turning the corner after beating Forfar do you think?

Regardless of that though these players finished 8th, as ivo says get a clear out and start again. A big deal is made out of budgets etc but at this level you can build a good team on the cheap with good use of loans and a manager with good contacts. Keith Gibson would be ideal really. Sure he'd get the best of young Dundee lads, very well liked when he played the game and he will have seen the best junior players in the region.

And I think it's been coming, we've drawn a lot of games we should have won. Started off the season slow but it's picked up and I think we're even unfortunate to have lost one. Funnily enough the game I thought we probably should have lost was Montrose away, just didn't turn up and were hanging on after the sending off. Things starting to click and the good thing is even if we get injuries we've a big squad with good options. If anyone other than Little/Linn and Jimmy Scott gets injured confident there's a guy there that can come in and do just as well. Don't think injuries will affect us much through the season.

Ivo you're bang on with your comments and I agree totally with you. Maybe it's time to bring in someone like Keith Gibson as he seems to be getting good results with broughty athletic and would probably want to make a name for himself as a manager in the scottish leagues. Of course there will be other names mentioned for the job so who does everyone else think should come in ??????????

Keith gibson would be good along with stewart petrie,Barry smith would also be a good shout pretty sure he is not with anyone at the moment.Hegarty did his bit for us to keep us in the league and that about it just never worked at all for whatever reason, the sooner he is gone the better.

Jim weir will be challenging for the league this season it looks like, why would he go back to the Mo?

Eta: Gibby is the man!! If we didn't get Campbell he was the guy I was wanting at us. Perfect timing it looks like. Who knows, a young guy, could be at you for a while too.

Something has to give thats for sure 1320 we have only slightly improved since he has took over.Young manager with fresh ideas,id happily take stewart petrie as manager aswell if gibby never wanted the job.Big couple weeks for the board and the management team

A poor result next week and he surely has to go. I've got a lot of time for heggy and holt, but they have had a decent shot at this and we're not much better placed than when they took over. We can't keep hoping that there is going to be a worse team than us every year 

Understandable statement to be honest. I feel a bit sorry for Hegarty & Holt, but ultimately results need to be better than they have been and the weird tactical choices in the last few weeks really do them no favours at all. I suspect if the fans felt they were playing the right players in the right positions but the results were as they have been they would be getting a bit more leeway.

This time last year there were some crowds at Links Park, outside of derby games with us, which were reaching 500 home fans and now it appears to be down to less than 300 again. If changes aren't made and that continues, there will be no money in January to do anything with the squad and next years budget will be substantially less I imagine. That can't really be allowed to happen.

Archived