McNamara your time is up.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do Arabs just assume that Cathro will give up a great job at Valencia to come back to United?

They don't. Its a who would you like to see as your next manager question. Quite a few would like to see Cathro approached. I would certainly not be against him and would like Badger as well. I doubt either would come though.

They don't. Its a who would you like to see as your next manager question. Quite a few would like to see Cathro approached. I would certainly not be against him and would like Badger as well. I doubt either would come though.

projects-portraits-bodgerbadger.jpg

I reckon Cathro would be interested. Wants to be a manager and has said recently that he wants to come back to the UK to do so. United ticks all the right boxes for him - youth academy, training facilities, etc. Would be a gamble but wouldn't be against it either.

Cathro absolutely stinks of someone who'll talk the talk all day long, but will never back it up.

I for one hope Utd get Cathro.

One thing succeeding coaching bairns. It's another thing succeeding as an assistant with a mad, huge Portuguese keeper to back you up as the main man.

Quite another thing asking a young man like that who's never played at any decent level to come in and run an spfl team. It'll either be mourinho or Tommy Craig and as much as I'd like to see a young Scottish manager succeed, I know what outcome my money is on.

I think I can quite comfortably say I was one of the few United fans questioning McNamara's abilities, well over a year ago.

What to do now? No idea.

McNamara doesn't seem like he has learnt a thing in all his time with us - he has an eye for a player (excluding Paton obvz), but then simply cannot organise them on the park.

From the giddy heights of 18 months ago, when I was skipping along to every game, I'm now staring at a season ticket renewal brochure, and thinking, meh!

Not sad to see this. We gave him his chance in management and he stabbed us in the back when we were still in the running for the Championship and in a cup final and just after he had signed an improved contract that nearly doubled his wages. In hindsight it has turned out to be the best thing that could happened as I doubt that he would have taken us up, due to his inability to win games away from home. We got the better deal by promoting Archie and eventually getting a nice wedge from Und.

Wasn't he on at Thistle for a bonus once they got promoted after he left as well? Between that and him getting a cut of Utd transfers he comes across as a money orientated wee gimp.

Wasn't he on at Thistle for a bonus once they got promoted after he left as well? Between that and him getting a cut of Utd transfers he comes across as a money orientated wee gimp.

Yup. Refused to pay the compensation we were due for him leaving and then asked us for his bonus for winning the league. Puts a big dampener on what was, for me at least, a hugely enjoyable time watching the club while he was manager.

What a tiresome thread. There's still every possibility that we'll finish fourth this season, having sold our four best non-mental players since the end of last season and having reached another cup final. That may not be success but it's certainly not grounds for dismissal. United shouldn't ever be sacking a manager for football related reasons on the back of finishing fourth or fifth in the league.

Fans are quite happy to talk theoretically about giving a manager time but very rarely stick to that line when things start to go wrong.

What? You been watching the team recently? They are one of the worst teams in the division.

The thing with United's model of acquiring and playing Scotland's best young talent to sell on is that it needs a very good manager to operate it successfully. It is the manager who has to out the correct team in place, has to nurture them correctly and be able to pitch them into the team at the right moments. Hibs failed with their version of the model because they continually appointed poor managers.

Steven Thompson needs to ask himself if JMac is the right man to do the job.

What? You been watching the team recently? They are one of the worst teams in the division.

Yeah. The team's been going through a difficult spell which has been compounded by a run of games against the top sides including nine of our last thirteen against the top three. You'll forgive me if I don't join in the collective bedwetting that some of you chaps so enjoy.

You're entitled to your opinion though.

Have you actually watched them though?

Actually? Yeah. We've been better in some games than the scorelines would suggest. We were excellent first half against Celtic and more than matched Aberdeen recently. We were good first half in both the recent ICT games but disappointing second half. We were absolutely shite against Saints but managed to scrape a draw.

There's an urgent and pressing need to improve the defence and I have serious doubts as to whether McNamara can do that. I don't have any doubts about his ability to spot and develop young attacking players though and I'm willing to give him a chance to improve the defensive side of the team. To think about sacking someone who has brought in between six and eight million pounds in transfer fees in less than 12 months, reached two cup finals and finished fourth and (let's say) fifth in successive seasons just shows the ludicrous sense of entitlement that most fans have. Under McNamara I've seen United play the best attacking football for 25 - 30 years - not always but enough. Granted we've been defensively shite for the most part but if United fans think they can fix that aspect without losing the rest of it by ditching McNamara and bringing some other (i) promising or (ii) journeyman manager then they're kidding themselves. Those are the options - young, inexperienced and promising (but also by definition still learning) or steady but mediocre (and by definition failed elsewhere). I prefer the first option and I'd rather we gave that guy the opportunity to develop and learn from his mistakes because that's the only way anyone ever improves.

Or we could ditch the cunt, start again and then ditch the new guy when he hits a rocky patch and repeat ad nauseam. Whatever.

If you look at his transfers:
Paton - Pass, disappointing this season though
Erskine - Pass, Poor first season, much improved this year
Graham - Not really given a chance IMO, that miss vs Celtic is unforgivable
Robertson - Best LB I've seen play in Scotland
Connolly - Young Talent, seems like a good buy
Goodie - Didn't work out
Butcher - Similar to Erskine
Kudos - Let's not go there
Ciftci - Very Good striker, bad temperament though

Telfer - Good Playmaker
Spittal - Too early to say